• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster

KB21

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I hear you, but quite a few teams passed on him.  It may not have been directly basketball related.

I think it was almost certainly not just a basketball skills issue.

Just now, gurpilo said:

Well, seems that a lot of people could be wrong

Why does it seem that way from him looking good in a summer league game?  The whole point of a non-basketball related issue is that it is not going to show up in his performance right away.  It will either lead to issues off the court (drug issues, domestic violence issues, health issues, etc.) or long-term issues for the player's career development (Ben Simmons mental challenges, a failure to put in the work, inability to get along with others, etc.).  The last place off-court concerns would show up is in a summer league game against mostly G-League talent.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I hear you, but quite a few teams passed on him.  It may not have been directly basketball related.

Indeed.

For folks thinking passing on him was a mistake, I'd challenge them to name the last guy that dropped due to character concerns that didn't have issues later due to character concerns.

I'm good on passing on Whitmore though I wish him well. 

34 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ahem, I give you Dejounte Murray

Projected in the lottery in several pre-draft mocks. Fell to 29 because of drummed up allegations about his “gang” background.

A couple of on court flare ups but overall has been a model citizen.

Guys are just as likely to be squeaky clean and still run in to off the court issues over there career. 

Ja Morant, Kobe Bryant, Kyrie Irving.

Everything is a guessing game. We are dealing with human beings. 

Murray gives you an exception.  Shall I list off the 'norms', so we can see where this usually leads?

I pushback on the "just as likely" part in your rundown.  As we are humans, there are ones that emerge that were unexpected.  But if a guy has known, or thought to be known, character or offcourt issues, it's fair to say the likelihood of issues ocurring is higher.

They may not manifest in some criminal offense, but could show up in a poor response to adversity or lack of work ethic, etc.

My overall point is whitmore falling for the reason(s) he did isnt the end of his story, but folks shouldn't be surprised that it happened. 

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Murray gives you an exception.  Shall I list off the 'norms', so we can see where this usually leads?

Your challenge was to name “the last guy” who did it.

Challenge accepted 

Challenge completed lol

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Longtime readers of mine (back to my RealGM days) will know that each year that I attended NBA Summer League, I came home with an overflowing notebook of items from talking to people around the NBA. These can be notes about players, teams, the league as whole or really anything related to the NBA.

ATLANTA HAWKS

• “We’re incredibly excited Dejounte Murray signed his extension. Was the fit perfect last season with Trae Young? No. But you saw what it could be by the end of the year. Those guys will make it work, because they are both too good to not make it work.”

• “It does sting to trade John Collins. He was a big part of some good teams for us. But our cap sheet made it necessary. We were carrying too much long-term salary. Everyone is going to have to make difficult decisions like this in the new CBA world.”

• “A big year is coming for Jalen Johnson. The opportunity is there. He just needs to take it.”

• “Kobe (Bufkin) needs to settle down a little. It’ll come for him. We’re deep, but not in ballhandlers. Kobe could find a rotation role this year.”

• Opinion: Keep an eye on two-way player Seth Lundy. He has a nice shot and good size for a wing. Atlanta has a lot of guys in front of him, but he can play.

Doesn't sound like big trade is on the horizon to me...Sounds more like stay under the tax and let the young players develop to me.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Happy Saturday Squawkers!  Have a laugh.

The Mavs are really having their struggles figuring out which basket is which.  Seems like they might need to devote some time this summer to the basics.  Perhaps they can review which uniforms are theirs and which are the opponents, the fact that fans out of uniform in the stands aren't other players, and confirm that anywhere with stairs on it is actually not part of the court.  All useful information for teams that struggle with these complex issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

OO at Summer League, Love it!

I've been wondering all that game who is the guy to the right of OO with the glasses between him and Trae. Not Bey of course for the fools out there 😆 but the other guy.

Is he a Hawks player?

53 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Mavs are really having their struggles figuring out which basket is which.  Seems like they might need to devote some time this summer to the basics.  Perhaps they can review which uniforms are theirs and which are the opponents, the fact that fans out of uniform in the stands aren't other players, and confirm that anywhere with stairs on it is actually not part of the court.  All useful information for teams that struggle with these complex issues.

That is super embarrassing for them.

I will say, I feel like Dallas has collected a very interesting group of young players (Green. Hardy and Lively).  

On 7/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, gurpilo said:

I think is really concerning AJ 2 games. He is supposed to dominate on SL and he is playing poorly. He cannot put the ball on the dolor, cannot go inside, cannot shoot, looks desinterested... Different guy to what we saw last year. I am concerned because he dissapeared when Quinn arrived and I am beginning to panic. Clearly he is not well on this system but he is the Guy with highest celiling on the team. Quinn needs to look for a way to make hin a contributor.

It's been reported that he's there to work on his defense and told to ignore offense.  Let the young Hawks score!

:smug:

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, terrell said:

"Atlanta Hawks second-round picks Mouhamed Gueye and Seth Lundy believe they have a chance to earn rotation minutes this season.

The Hawks are expected to play Gueye at the three and four. The Senegalese big man believes he’ll be the sleeper of the NBA Draft when people look back at this year’s class. “There aren’t 39 players better than me in this draft, that’s for sure,” Gueye told HoopsHype. “People who missed out will have missed out. I’m glad I’m in Atlanta.”

Hawks Summer League coach Antonio Lang went a step further when describing Gueye’s upside. “The sky’s the limit with him,” Lang said. “He has so much he can do that we have to narrow it down and get him good at certain things. We think the future is really bright for him.”

Meanwhile, Lundy believes his shooting ability can help him earn playing time after signing a two-way contract with Atlanta.

“I know my role,” Lundy told HoopsHype. “I know I’m a shooter and a 3-and-D guy. I keep it as simple as that. That’s what I’m going to get paid for, so that’s what I’m going to stick to.”

If given the opportunity, Lundy believes he’ll be able to show more to his game at the pro level and stick as a role player over time.

“I was always told to be a shooter, but I feel like I can bring way more to the table,” Lundy said. “I can make plays for others, and I feel like I’m an underrated passer as well. My defense is only going to get better. Once you play defense, you’re going to get on the court, and as long as I knock shots down, I’m going to have a long career.”

Great article 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, terrell said:

"Atlanta Hawks second-round picks Mouhamed Gueye and Seth Lundy believe they have a chance to earn rotation minutes this season.

The Hawks are expected to play Gueye at the three and four. The Senegalese big man believes he’ll be the sleeper of the NBA Draft when people look back at this year’s class. “There aren’t 39 players better than me in this draft, that’s for sure,” Gueye told HoopsHype. “People who missed out will have missed out. I’m glad I’m in Atlanta.”

Hawks Summer League coach Antonio Lang went a step further when describing Gueye’s upside. “The sky’s the limit with him,” Lang said. “He has so much he can do that we have to narrow it down and get him good at certain things. We think the future is really bright for him.”

Meanwhile, Lundy believes his shooting ability can help him earn playing time after signing a two-way contract with Atlanta.

“I know my role,” Lundy told HoopsHype. “I know I’m a shooter and a 3-and-D guy. I keep it as simple as that. That’s what I’m going to get paid for, so that’s what I’m going to stick to.”

If given the opportunity, Lundy believes he’ll be able to show more to his game at the pro level and stick as a role player over time.

“I was always told to be a shooter, but I feel like I can bring way more to the table,” Lundy said. “I can make plays for others, and I feel like I’m an underrated passer as well. My defense is only going to get better. Once you play defense, you’re going to get on the court, and as long as I knock shots down, I’m going to have a long career.”

WOW!  Coluld it possibly be?  Three hits in this draft?  All have confidence!!  Hawks need help and we hope that we have found it!  

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1