• Jason Terry
    • Mike Bibby
    • DMC
    • Bill Bridges
    • Dan Roundfield
    • Josh Smith
    • Other (name the player)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/28/2023 at 04:11 AM

• Premium Member

I went with Millsap. Most of my basketball talk is from people who listen to the radio, and somehow thought he was the star player so they’d hate on him. You can’t win with Millsap as your best player! Well he shouldn’t be talked up like that.

He was instrumental to so many things we did with Bud. DMC too, but Sap dropped (40?) in that game at Boston the year after DMC left. He also was the main cog in the 8th seed Hawks almost beating the Pacers. I loved his professionalism and work ethic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I went with Millsap. Most of my basketball talk is from people who listen to the radio, and somehow thought he was the star player so they’d hate on him. You can’t win with Millsap as your best player! Well he shouldn’t be talked up like that.

He was instrumental to so many things we did with Bud. DMC too, but Sap dropped (40?) in that game at Boston the year after DMC left. He also was the main cog in the 8th seed Hawks almost beating the Pacers. I loved his professionalism and work ethic.

I remember looking at the 2005 or 2006 college stat leaders and remember seeing a kid named Paul Millsap at the top of every hustling and rebounding category know to man. Didn’t he do it like 3 consecutive years or is that in my mind. I thought he led college ball 🏀 in rebounding for like 3 straight years maybe I’m wrong.

Regardless, one of the best pickups and the cheapest rate ever, remember 3 million or something nuts over the summer in his free agency. 

Ya he might have been one of the NBA’s most underrated not only Hawks. Dude was dynamite with Utah for years before he even came to us. 

Huge SAP guy here, always has been always will be. No nonsense lunch pail Paul.

40 minutes ago, warcore said:

Ira Newble

Thought you were kidding but you really voted 🗳️ other 😂. Ira is your boy huh? 👍 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Huge SAP guy here, always has been always will be. No nonsense lunch pail Paul.

He was good and embraced that roll. I remember when Bob had a nickname for Childress, something to do with hustling and being in the right place at the right time. JC hated it, he wanted to be more and went overseas. Millsap was 100% about team ball and did very well for himself because of that.

• Like 1

This is an entirely different question 🙋🏻‍♀️ here but if you could mix n match 3 of those 9 dudes of whomever your “other” dude with two fellers, would we win a title? In any year that any of those guys played so probably a 40-50 years span?

9 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

I vote Thabo Sefalosha. Dude was an absolute menace on D. I still wonder what would have happened in the playoffs for that 60 win season if he didn't get beat down by NYPD. We could really use his POA defense on our current squad.

I hate the Morris twins 👯‍♀️.

• Moderators

I guess the question is underrated by who/whom (i have no idea)?   I agree with kg that Trae is the most underrated generally but not by Hawks fans.   

I'm going to beat the drum for Roundfield until his jersey is up there next to Deke's.   Mookie would be my second choice.   Can you imagine the player Mookie would have been if he hadn't played his whole career as an alcoholic?   

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm going to beat the drum for Roundfield until his jersey is up there next to Deke's.   

He was my pick as well.  He is the most forgotten player on that entire list and so rarely is discussed among former Hawks.  Yet he was a 3x All-Star, put up a bunch of 18 & 11 type seasons, could pass the ball, was putting up strong block and steal numbers in his prime (3 per game), hit his free throws, and anchored the defense.  Just a really strong player year after year and rarely gets his due.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me Millsap was underrated before he signed with us but quickly became a fan favorite and appropriately celebrated.  

Kevin Willis was the first guy I thought of when I saw the thread title.  He was not quite an allstar, but just below that tier for years and was a force on both offense and defense.  

On this list I vote for Josh Smith.  He's similar to Trae Young in that he got such a reputation for being overrated that he's actually underrated for what he was able to do, which is a lot.  He was a huge part of winning teams.

29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I guess the question is underrated by who/whom (i have no idea)?   I agree with kg that Trae is the most underrated generally but not by Hawks fans.   

I'm going to beat the drum for Roundfield until his jersey is up there next to Deke's.   Mookie would be my second choice.   Can you imagine the player Mookie would have been if he hadn't played his whole career as an alcoholic?   

I loved 🥰 Mookie so much and tried to pattern my defense after him in high school with the anticipation and quick twitch before it was “modernized” if you will. 

I got some tiny jersey keychain thing from somewhere I don’t even remember back in 93 and it was just the old Hawks road jersey one of the Hawks and I wrote #10 Blaylock on the back and personalized it and used it for several years through college. If I find it in the garage I’ll send a pic.

Trae is obviously #1, but maaaan Mookie Mookie lend me your comb 🪮 as d*ck Versace used to say lol on the broadcasts back in the day. 😊 Don’t even start with Stacey, who btw was a huuuge mistake to NOT put on the list by me brought up by nobody though, Augmon, my favorite superhero 🦸🏻‍♂️ Plasticman! #dynamicduo #combnplastic #batmannrobin