• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Mrs. Sothron here:

Mr. Sothron had a broken tooth that had to be extracted. He's having a reaction to the medication they gave him. The oral surgeon had to crack his upper jaw to get the tooth out. He's in pain and resting. If he's not active for a few days please understand.

He said to give hugs to all of you.

-Mrs. S

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Mrs. Sothron here:

Mr. Sothron had a broken tooth that had to be extracted. He's having a reaction to the medication they gave him. The oral surgeon had to crack his upper jaw to get the tooth out. He's in pain and resting. If he's not active for a few days please understand.

-Mrs. S

Oh No Mrs. Soth. So sorry to hear this news.

We wish him a speedy recovery and many many prayers and hugs.

Jay

• Like 2

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Mrs. Sothron here:

-Mrs. S

I have created a thread for this here...

• Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:

I've done that to a buddy in a pickup game but I actually blocked his shot.  It was hilarious and started a scuffle between teammates.

We all had a good laugh afterwards since it was a meaningless pickup game that had no stakes.

This was funny to me but I imagine some Clipper folks ain't smilin'.  

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

I have two questions:

1. Why would your interpreter (even if longtime friend) have access tou your bank account?

2. Is there more to this? Like Ohtani was the one gambling? 😐 things that make you say.....mmmmmmm?

Dodgers fire Shohei Ohtani's interpreter amid allegation of 'massive theft'

The Los Angeles Dodgers interpreter for Shohei Ohtani was fired Wednesday afternoon after questions surrounding at least $4.5 million in wire transfers sent from Ohtani's bank account to a bookmaking operation set off a series of events.

Ippei Mizuhara, the longtime friend and interpreter for Ohtani, incurred the gambling debts to a Southern California bookmaking operation that is under federal investigation, multiple sources told ESPN. How he came to lose his job started with reporters asking questions about the wire transfers.

Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39768770/dodgers-shohei-ohtani-interpreter-fired-theft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have two questions:

1. Why would your interpreter (even if longtime friend) have access tou your bank account?

2. Is there more to this? Like Ohtani was the one gambling? 😐 things that make you say.....mmmmmmm?

1. Smells like the relationship between them is deeper than him being "just" an interpreter.

2. You hit it right on the head, imho, this smells more like the money man was betting.  Why else would the interpreter say Ohtani agreed to cover the losses?  "Now why would he do that?" - Brian Windhorst voice.

Always find it funny how they throw out "but he never bet on baseball".  As if that matters.  If dude was on the hook for 4 million dollars of bets on the dog show, you think an illegal bookie won't have him throw baseball games to work the debt off?

This is a huge story that, if mlb is smart, they'll pay everybody to go away.  Shouldn't have ever let it get out in the first place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I've done that to a buddy in a pickup game but I actually blocked his shot.  It was hilarious and started a scuffle between teammates.

We all had a good laugh afterwards since it was a meaningless pickup game that had no stakes.

This was funny to me but I imagine some Clipper folks ain't smilin'.  

Even LBJ :laugh1:

• Sad 1

Gotta love BSPN having to pull their original interview with the Ohtani interpreter due to uncertainty about what's true.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Even LBJ :laugh1:

Gotta love the refs missing the obvious travel.  Smh 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Gotta love BSPN having to pull their original interview with the Ohtani interpreter due to uncertainty about what's true.

This is what happens when you wanna be the first but not always right.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have two questions:

Dodgers fire Shohei Ohtani's interpreter amid allegation of 'massive theft'

The Los Angeles Dodgers interpreter for Shohei Ohtani was fired Wednesday afternoon after questions surrounding at least $4.5 million in wire transfers sent from Ohtani's bank account to a bookmaking operation set off a series of events.

Ippei Mizuhara, the longtime friend and interpreter for Ohtani, incurred the gambling debts to a Southern California bookmaking operation that is under federal investigation, multiple sources told ESPN. How he came to lose his job started with reporters asking questions about the wire transfers.

Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39768770/dodgers-shohei-ohtani-interpreter-fired-theft

Shohei Rose 🌹

“Atta boy Shohei stickin it to the man 👨 “- 

Unc Pete himself

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Why else would the interpreter say Ohtani agreed to cover the losses?  "Now why would he do that?" - Brian Windhorst voice.

When you are explaining why someone else is paying a million dollars of your debts, saying that the guy agreed to do it is kind of a bare minimum to avoid any further inquiry so that makes sense if he actually stole the money.

As someone with Ohtani on my fantasy keeper team, I am definitely hoping he ends up clean on this!  As someone who agreed to defer MASSIVE amounts of money to help the Dodgers pay for their huge payroll, he doesn't strike me as the type to run up huge gambling debts.  When you can earn ~$70M a year, if you are running up millions in gambling debts you probably don't agree to take only $2M per year with the rest deferred.  You need some "spending" cash if you are running up those kinds of debts.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

When you are explaining why someone else is paying a million dollars of your debts, saying that the guy agreed to do it is kind of a bare minimum to avoid any further inquiry so that makes sense if he actually stole the money.

As someone with Ohtani on my fantasy keeper team, I am definitely hoping he ends up clean on this!  As someone who agreed to defer MASSIVE amounts of money to help the Dodgers pay for their huge payroll, he doesn't strike me as the type to run up huge gambling debts.  When you can earn ~$70M a year, if you are running up millions in gambling debts you probably don't agree to take only $2M per year with the rest deferred.  You need some "spending" cash if you are running up those kinds of debts.

So you gambled on the gambler?  Smh 

I hope he goes down Pete Rose style. 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So you gambled on the gambler?  Smh 

I hope he goes down Pete Rose style. 

Nah, I've drafted him twice and signed him to long-term contracts both times.  

I just don't think it makes any sense for someone who is a self-destructive gambler to agree to a contract where he only takes home $2M per year.  A pro athlete with a gambling problem can blow through that in a weekend.  You would want a large income stream if you are gambling millions of dollars a year.  $2M a year is a really small amount of money to bring in for any superstar athlete let alone one with a gambling problem.  (If he was in the habit of gambling a lot he could even have split the baby and taken ~$35M in pay each year giving him plenty to live and use for gambling and deferred the remaining ~$35M per year to ensure he was financially secure in the long run.)  We'll see but I'm not that worried about it with what we know right now because that just doesn't add up for me.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Nah, I've drafted him twice and signed him to long-term contracts both times.  

I just don't think it makes any sense for someone who is a self-destructive gambler to agree to a contract where he only takes home $2M per year.  A pro athlete with a gambling problem can blow through that in a weekend.  You would want a large income stream if you are gambling millions of dollars a year.  $2M a year is a really small amount of money to bring in for any superstar athlete let alone one with a gambling problem.  (If he was in the habit of gambling a lot he could even have split the baby and taken ~$35M in pay each year giving him plenty to live and use for gambling and deferred the remaining ~$35M per year to ensure he was financially secure in the long run.)  We'll see but I'm not that worried about it with what we know right now because that just doesn't add up for me.

You're a smart cookie, AH.  So I know you know his MLB contract is a small part of the money he's making.

So, since I know you know that, I know you're just messin with me.  Why you messin with me, AH? 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're a smart cookie, AH.  So I know you know his MLB contract is a small part of the money he's making.

So, since I know you know that, I know you're just messin with me.  Why you messin with me, AH? 

$68M is not a small part of what anyone makes in sports.  I'd guess it significantly outpaces his endorsement money.  But you are right that he would have plenty of money from endorsements to gamble if he wanted.  

I still find the willingness to defer that much money to be a strange fit with someone who is a reckless gambler.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

$68M is not a small part of what anyone makes in sports.  I'd guess it significantly outpaces his endorsement money.  But you are right that he would have plenty of money from endorsements to gamble if he wanted.  

I still find the willingness to defer that much money to be a strange fit with someone who is a reckless gambler.

I find it inconceivable that he accepted that contract from LAD without other financial inducements.  Unconscionable!

• Like 1