• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

14 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This changes how I feel about pursuing him this offseason.  The last thing this team needs is another injury prone player and KAT just cannot stay healthy.  He's averaging <50 games a season over the last 5 seasons.  And he's a big -- a heavy one at that.  Yikes... I feel for Minny fans as I was pulling for them out of the west.

I feel the exact same way however I'm not high on his availability for trade as some here were. I think the Wolves love him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just hang em up, Ben.  This is actually sad.  Despite his weird nonplussed face these days, that make you think he doesn't want to play, he was a beast when healthy.  Just miscast as a pg. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

This changes how I feel about pursuing him this offseason.  The last thing this team needs is another injury prone player and KAT just cannot stay healthy.  He's averaging <50 games a season over the last 5 seasons.  And he's a big -- a heavy one at that.  Yikes... I feel for Minny fans as I was pulling for them out of the west.

57 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I feel the exact same way however I'm not high on his availability for trade as some here were. I think the Wolves love him.

That has been my thought considering Minny is at #1.  It will be interesting though to see how they play without him and how effective they can be .  They have Naz Reid who is a capable fill in.  They get a look at what life would be like without KAT.  Then he may or may not become 'more' available?  And this boils down to ownerships willingness to stay above the 2nd apron by keeping him.

Does the cost to trade him now become lower with the injury and his $50 mil salary next season? Maybe.

CC plus salary filler (one of Bogi or Hunter) for KAT.

• Like 2

We jus' gon ignore it?

Nobody gonna say nothin'? 

Folks was out here pre-writing Haliburton's hall of fame speech a few months ago.

All that's happened since then is they added an all-NBA caliber piece, the league tried to hand allstar mvp to 'im, and they fell to a play-in team.

Perhaps or maybe the whole 'not playing defense' thing is a thing despite the eggsperts choosing to ignore it?

Per-maybe he's more of an empty-stats guy than folks will admit?

I dunno.  But what I do know is, if a certain team in the southeast conference was trending down, we'd hear questions shouted from the high heavens.

As it is .... *crickets*

All I got to say is I SEEN ENOUGH! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ShooterSays said:

Going on record for how much I hate the NBA for not letting ATL get either Dwight or Ant in the lottery.

Edwards is one of my favorite players right now, especially as a UGA alum.  Dude is so good and plays so hard.  TWolves are going to be scary as long as he's there

• Like 3

On 3/8/2024 at 9:36 AM, kg01 said:

We jus' gon ignore it?

Nobody gonna say nothin'? 

Folks was out here pre-writing Haliburton's hall of fame speech a few months ago.

All that's happened since then is they added an all-NBA caliber piece, the league tried to hand allstar mvp to 'im, and they fell to a play-in team.

Perhaps or maybe the whole 'not playing defense' thing is a thing despite the eggsperts choosing to ignore it?

Per-maybe he's more of an empty-stats guy than folks will admit?

I dunno.  But what I do know is, if a certain team in the southeast conference was trending down, we'd hear questions shouted from the high heavens.

As it is .... *crickets*

All I got to say is I SEEN ENOUGH! 

Pacers gonna have an even tougher battle the rest of the season 

• Sad 2

I’m just going to throw it out there early, but the Hawks are a threat to any team in the Play In tournament. Everyone is looking vulnerable. We won’t be able to catch the 7/8 seeds so we are looking at playing (2) win or go home games as the 9/10.

Gonna be fun none the less

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Anyone Notice the difference in officiating leading to lower scores league wide?

A rolling five-game average of points per 48 minutes peaked at 117.3 on Jan. 26, the night Doncic dropped 73. Then scoring across the league plummeted by the end of February to a rolling five-game average of 109 points per 48. The trend coincided with a 10% drop in trips to the free-throw line between January and February. According to Haberstroh, foul calls per 100 possessions were 20% lower in February than they had been in November 2023.

Pre ASG the average was 115.

Post ASG the average is 109.

Now that nearly everyone within the NBA believes Adam Silver’s league secretly changed its rules, midseason, due to public pressure, a lot of questions are left unanswered. The result is better, in my opinion, but the process appears subject to whim. Here’s what NBA people are asking behind the scenes.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Anyone Notice the difference in officiating leading to lower scores league wide?

This was Joe Dumars prior:

Report: NBA Competition Committee reviewing whether game has tilted too much to offense

There’s a sense among some NBA observers the pendulum has swung too far and that defenses need some help now, too. NBA VP and head of basketball operations Joe Dumas said this to Tim Bontemps and Kevin Pelton at ESPN:

”...the league’s competition committee has officially begun reviewing whether the game has tilted too far toward offense and whether changes need to be implemented to achieve better balance.”

The Competition Committee is made up primarily of coaches, players and general managers.

All this echoes what Dumars recently told Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports.

“The question is posed to each one of those groups: Is the balance out of whack? Do we need to balance this more to allow defenses to defend more, to do more on the defensive end of the court? And by and large, people are saying it wouldn’t be bad to have a little bit more defense... You don’t want it where the defense can just, you know, grab and hold, and you don’t want it when the offense has just this huge advantage, either.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/report-nba-competition-committee-reviewing-whether-game-has-tilted-too-much-to-offense

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A rolling five-game average of points per 48 minutes peaked at 117.3 on Jan. 26, the night Doncic dropped 73. Then scoring across the league plummeted by the end of February to a rolling five-game average of 109 points per 48. The trend coincided with a 10% drop in trips to the free-throw line between January and February. According to Haberstroh, foul calls per 100 possessions were 20% lower in February than they had been in November 2023.

Pre ASG the average was 115.

Post ASG the average is 109.

Now that nearly everyone within the NBA believes Adam Silver’s league secretly changed its rules, midseason, due to public pressure, a lot of questions are left unanswered. The result is better, in my opinion, but the process appears subject to whim. Here’s what NBA people are asking behind the scenes.

Let’s just be blunt here, because we can be. Circumstantially, it sure looks like the NBA pressured its refs into calling fewer fouls. These drives where an offensive player initiates contact just aren’t getting that modern easy whistle. I’m in contact with NBA staffers who are pulling their hair out over how, midseason, rule enforcement has suddenly changed. It’s not just a matter of the data. They can see it and feel it out there every night.

– via houseofstrauss.com

Ol' reactionary Adam, aka WackAdam, strikes again.

I prefer things get back to normal but changing mid-season is some ol' bowl sh*t.  Literally anyone paying attention could see things were off-kilter well before now, so they should've and could've made appropriate changes at the appropriate time.  

I dont even think casuals like seeing dial-a-score games.  Folks wanna see competition, which means the defense should have a chance.

On top of all that, these are the best players in the world.  They don't need you to make it easy for them.

And I'll end on this ... keep that same energy when it comes to travel/carry calls and moving screens. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ol' reactionary Adam, aka WackAdam, strikes again.

I prefer things get back to normal but changing mid-season is some ol' bowl sh*t.  Literally anyone paying attention could see things were off-kilter well before now, so they should've and could've made appropriate changes at the appropriate time.  

I dont even think casuals like seeing dial-a-score games.  Folks wanna see competition, which means the defense should have a chance.

On top of all that, these are the best players in the world.  They don't need you to make it easy for them.

And I'll end on this ... keep that same energy when it comes to travel/carry calls and moving screens. 

Especially with an already tenuous mistrust of the referees and players saying that betting is influencing them...Gobert being the latest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was Joe Dumars prior:

Report: NBA Competition Committee reviewing whether game has tilted too much to offense

There’s a sense among some NBA observers the pendulum has swung too far and that defenses need some help now, too. NBA VP and head of basketball operations Joe Dumas said this to Tim Bontemps and Kevin Pelton at ESPN:

”...the league’s competition committee has officially begun reviewing whether the game has tilted too far toward offense and whether changes need to be implemented to achieve better balance.”

The Competition Committee is made up primarily of coaches, players and general managers.

All this echoes what Dumars recently told Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports.

“The question is posed to each one of those groups: Is the balance out of whack? Do we need to balance this more to allow defenses to defend more, to do more on the defensive end of the court? And by and large, people are saying it wouldn’t be bad to have a little bit more defense... You don’t want it where the defense can just, you know, grab and hold, and you don’t want it when the offense has just this huge advantage, either.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/report-nba-competition-committee-reviewing-whether-game-has-tilted-too-much-to-offense

Defense was looking like beta males with hands by their side running alongside people driving to the basket.  

On 3/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, JeffS17 said:

Edwards is one of my favorite players right now, especially as a UGA alum.  Dude is so good and plays so hard.  TWolves are going to be scary as long as he's there

where are the folks that thought it was ridiculous to package Huerter/#6/filler to move up to #1 in that draft? I remember reading some of the comments and asking myself "are these people really my friends?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1