• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, warcore said:

are you alluding that Dre is an exceptional rebounder? He's not helping us either. At least these two play aggressive defense. 

And FWIW, 4 RPG for players who are typically out on the perimeter on defense is not too shabby. 

Aggressive defense is meaningless if you can't get the rebound.   

So.. we're trading a 20/5/6 player hitting 45/38... for 2 guys who can't rebound and don't have size... and in the process, we will replace JJ in the starting lineup.. and in the process, we will bring Bogi into the starting 5.  So with all this defensive help you're getting...

• Rebounding gets no better. 
  • Bogi is our starting 2 and therefore..  defense... gets worse at the 2. 
  • JJ is on the bench... He's asking for a trade because he knows he's better than both of these guys.
  • Trae's request was to add another star.. You just removed one and replaced him with two blue collar guys. 

This is a prelude to watching  Trae go to the Lakers and making us a lottery team this year right?

Lastly, if you believe that about perimeter defenders... Just stick with Dre. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, warcore said:

you lost me (and likely most others) right there. There's no rebound to get if you force a turnover. Aggressive defense is not meaningless. 

So your answer is to trade the guy who leads the East and is 2nd in the NBA in Multiple Steals game.... and is also a 20/5/6 guy...  That makes a lot of sense????

This is the problem with you guys who want to do something just to do something.   You come up with these not so well thought out plans.  Look at what you're trading and think about what you get back.

Let me say it again...

Aggressive Defense is meaningless if you don't get the rebound. 

IF you're 6'8 210 and playing PF...  You will eventually be benched because JJ is 6'9 220 and he gets 7.4 rpg...  Which makes you wonder... Why Would we trade a 20/5/6 player shooting 38% from 3 and is second in the league in Steals for a guy who is 6'8 210... and gets 3.1 less rpg than the guy we have starting...  HMM???

Does it make sense?

• Like 1

No thanks to Ingram or Zion. We need guys that play more than 30 games a season.  I don’t see them trading Trey or Herb either … those are guys that from all I have seen and heard are part of their core. However …

dj for Dyson Daniels / Naji Marshall / 2027 MIL FRP (protected?) is a trade I make as long as we can then make a follow up trade of something like Hunter / griffin / 2027 mil frp / 2024 atl frp / swap for Lauri M 

Trae / Daniels / jj / Lauri / cap

Bogi / Marshall / bey / Onyeka 

Much better fitting pieces around Trae imo  + size for the starters. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Bro, how many times we gotta tell you this but Siakam to Atlanta failed in the offseason because Siakam didn't want to be here. Trae even tried to convince him. If Siakam is here. It's as a rental only

It failed because his agent killed the deal saying they only want Toronto. They know they aren’t landing that max in Toronto anymore. Could it be a rental sure but I don’t believe so 

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It failed because his agent killed the deal saying they only want Toronto. They know they aren’t landing that max in Toronto anymore. Could it be a rental sure but I don’t believe so 

Nope, TOR already told him he wasn't getting the max from them. He just didn't want to come to Atlanta. He wants to go to Philly and play with his countryman, Embiid 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Nope, TOR already told him he wasn't getting the max from them. He just didn't want to come to Atlanta. He wants to go to Philly and play with his countryman, Embiid 

They are in denial that Toronto and nobody else wants to Tobias Harris him.

He will end up re-signed for a 2 year plus option deal with Toronto. Because he wants to stay and FVV didn't.

The Siakam trade ship sailed after 2 days of talks back before the draft.

• Premium Member

As we all debate rumors passed along, @Sothron and others, will you please tag a mod if you get good intel to put it in the pinned info thread? Sometimes these things get buried quickly in these types of threads. Thanks as always for passing along intel! 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

We don't have the same sources and in general don't speak together first before we share what we've heard. 

My information about the Pels trying to consolidate a trade with us for Murray is recent as in the last week. We tried talking to them about Zion/Ingram in the offseason.

Is campster still around?  

I don’t care about trading for rentals, especially if we use it as leverage to lower the asking price for said player.

If we can get off some contracts in a trade and the acquired player decides to bolt in the offseason, awesome. More money to spend elsewhere, since we know cash is king for not only our owner, but FA’s as well.

The trade game is for the birds. 

5 hours ago, terrell said:

They arent taking in Dre contract...When they have a better versions of Dre in Herb Jones and  Trey Murphy.. Not to mention his bad knees....

We will be trading Dre to another team if Herb Jones and Trey Murphy comes here (btw I like that trade because you will have good contacts coming here and draft pick that we can use to get another player or use it in a another trade)

At the end of the day, this team has to do something and sitting on their hands is not one of them.

6 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don’t care about trading for rentals, especially if we use it as leverage to lower the asking price for said player.

If we can get off some contracts in a trade and the acquired player decides to bolt in the offseason, awesome. More money to spend elsewhere, since we know cash is king for not only our owner, but FA’s as well.

The trade game is for the birds. 

Have you ever looked at each team's best FA signing?  Even well run franchises strike out in free agency most of the time.    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37923744/nba-free-agency-every-team-most-impactful-signing-2010

Here's some of the lowlights:

image.png.822f73cb097f4526c776619caabc41de.png

image.png.32ad96c15db4219f49c54a0ad588d15c.png
image.png.9e0ae20e3a4692b4269e7a5146bbbec2.png
image.png.cb308781f4b87da764d82e4da709b44f.png

image.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Have you ever looked at each team's best FA signing?  Even well run franchises strike out in free agency most of the time.    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37923744/nba-free-agency-every-team-most-impactful-signing-2010

image.png

That Josh Smith signing was instrumental to their record season this year. Kidding aside, I spent some time in MI when he was there and they hated him more than we did lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

image.png

I’m not looking at anyone else but the Hawks.

The last (2) times we had any money to spend in FA we knocked it out of the park.

When we brought in Gallo, Bogi, Snell, etc…

And the offseason we signed Milsap, DMC, etc…. 

Those were two examples of completely changing our fortunes overnight and it happened because we had cash to do so.

3 hours ago, theheroatl said:

DJM is gonna be very valuable moving forward. We have him on a great contract for years but just because some trash aggregators are running out of content, they throw out random ideas.

So does Shams.

we need more freaking defense around Trae DJM and JJ… build around that core and trash the rest

The only way this works is if you put big physical defenders around these 3.

im good with this as long as we can find the right physical SF and long defensive center who can also make a 3 if open.

My retort to the DJM is playing out of position conversation.

1) Trae and DJ knew they both played PG when they fought to play together last summer. DJ was well aware that Trae was a small PG at that he was forcing his way out of SA to play next to him. Frustrated or not, he ASKED for this arrangement.

2) When the trade happened, DJ and Trae both told the media that they could make the pairing work due to Trae’s ability to shoot and play off ball “because he was originally SG growing up” according to him. They were confident in this backcourt even when pressed about it before the season.

3) DJ gets 12 mins a night at PG. That’s 1/3 of his total court time spent at his “natural” position. He is not a full time SG here. He starts and closes each half at SG, but he gets ample court time running the offense with Trae on the bench. He has to take advantage of these minutes but often times these are the minutes we lose leads, when he is the PG on offense and guarding PGs on defense.

4) There were no complaints when we were a somewhat winning team. Two things have changed this season. A) Trae has been tasked to guard his position instead of hiding on weaker players, which took DJ away from the primary assignment of POA defender. Trae’s improvement actually hurts DJ because it puts him on bigger players when that used to be Trae’s mismatch assignment. B) Due to injuries we have gotten significantly smaller on the back line and have had to start an even worse defender in Bey. This puts even more defensive pressure on a guy like Murray.

Summary: Playing out of position is real, but it was a choice that an adult professional man made in his career so he could play with his buddy. Nobody put a gun to DJ’s head to come here. We literally bent over to San Antonio to make his request happen. It is a scapegoat excuse for anything if I ever heard one and yet another example why you cannot let players play GM. 

I want these two to follow through on THEIR word regarding this backcourt. I want us to address the real problem regarding size and defense throughout the roster, not just DJ. 

• Like 4