• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The biggest Hawk problem is the one none of us can do anything about: Tony Ressler. 

I will be playing Warhammer 40k all day with two buddies at my  house. I will have my phone with me. I will update if I can but honestly my attention will be on trying to win Warhammer 40k 😛

Dark tide?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I will be playing Warhammer 40k all day with two buddies at my  house. I will have my phone with me. I will update if I can but honestly my attention will be on trying to win Warhammer 40k 😛

Nice! Happy gaming - we need more distractions until we have a new front office... I've never dabbled in War Hammer, but I do enjoy Sorcery: Contested Realm quite a bit. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Good GMs value high end role players almost like centerpieces when building a sustainable contender.  As amazing as Tatum is, Derrick White is the soul of the Celtics.  Slo Mo took ownership of being a leader, this is a large reason why Ant and the Wolves have made a huge leap.  OKC wouldn’t be stomping mud holes in folks had they traded Dort the many times he’s been rumored to be.  These Siakam, Towns types that Hawks fans covet will only pout when their touches decrease here and it carries over to worse screening and defensive effort.  

I mean, we’ve done this already.  Look at DJ.  Fresh off an AS selection.  He never screens or cuts and is useless at the POA.  This front office simply isn’t shrewd enough to know how to fit players together based on ball needs and defense strengths and weaknesses, Traes profile only exacerbates that significantly.

This is the best analysis of what we need.  This puts a bow on a lot of different simultaneous conversations around our roster: why Trae and DJ aren't working, why people are upset with Hunter (he has none of these types of intangibles), why we need a true leader on the team (it's not Trae), etc.  We haven't had a true glue guy since Solo and the small stuff matters across an 80 game season with emotional swings, guys bought in or not bought in, dudes in contract years, etc.  One of my favorite players throughout the Warriors dynasty was always Looney because that guy absolutely excelled at his role as basically a nobody.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I guess that I think we are being pedantic if we don't count Trae and Nique because they weren't technically drafted by us but we also don't count Luka or the others because they were technically drafted by us but were traded away.

I think you have to count one group or the other.  Who cares if we traded for a pick or not?  That counts as a drafted player to me the same as if we traded for the pick one day earlier and then announced the pick ourselves.  

I get the argument of not counting Gasol because we were basically picking for Memphis and we might have made a dumb draft choice and taken Battier or something if we had kept the pick.  But then you have to give us credit for Trae because Dallas was just drafting for us in the same way.

The only problem with suggesting Trae is that we could have taken him and not made the trade.  It was Dallas who traded up.   The question is, if Dallas had not offered that first round pick, would we have drafted Trae?  Still, I can go with your logic.   I originally went with Trae being our pick until @Watchman reminded me that Trae was here because  of a trade. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

The scope of your parameters is disingenuous. 
Any rookie acquired on draft day to play for the Hawks is more or less drafted by the team, even if another team makes the pick for us. That’s still the Hawks scouting that player and acquiring him because they value his talents and want him on the team. 
So Nique and Trae should absolutely count as stars “drafted” by the Hawks. 

Nawl...

If we're picking for another team, we're picking for another team.. not for us.  I am fervently sure that if we had not traded with the Griz, Shane Battier would have been our pick. 

Secondly, you added Nique to the equation.  Nique wasn't a draft day trade as I recall.  I believe Dominique was the first player to pull a Stevie Franchise and Utah Traded him a few days later. 

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The only problem with suggesting Trae is that we could have taken him and not made the trade.  It was Dallas who traded up.   The question is, if Dallas had not offered that first round pick, would we have drafted Trae?  Still, I can go with your logic.   I originally went with Trae being our pick until @Watchman reminded me that Trae was here because  of a trade. 

Everything that came out from that time said that Luka was top of our board and we would have been fine keeping him, and that Trae was right there as well. The only motivation for the trade (beyond Quavo telling the FO Trae would be a better fit for the city) was ironically Schlenk’s school of thought that he wanted more swings at the plate to find talent. He valued that extra first round pick more than he valued Luka.

So if we believe this then Luka would have been the pick without the additional pick offered from Dallas.

This a a reminder to those that are asset seekers, that having a bunch of picks will always pale in comparison to finding one legit premium talent. With all of our draft picks from that rebuild we are sitting here with Trae and Jalen as our (2) cornerstones moving forward. That’s the gamble of relying on the draft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Update not expecting anything to happen imminently. A framework has been agreed on with a team but they are mulling whether that decision is worth it for djm or a lateral move. Another suitor has entered the fold as well offering multiple picks and a player that could be moved in a third team. 

What do you think about the deal personally?

good, average, bad…what’s your opinion?

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Yeah.. and Kyrie is average 25.2ppg 5.1 apg... shooting 42% from three.   And Derrick Lively III, their rookie is average 7.6 rpg and blocking 1.4 spg.   When you surround good players with Good players, you get good outcomes.  I don't see where Dallas is playing Mathews or anybody of that Ilk. 

Dallas is starting Derrick Jones Jr. a journeyman and, when he was healthy, giving rotational minutes to Dante Exum, who washed out of the NBA for a couple of years.  Both are basically minimum salary guys like the Matthews.  

• Thanks 1

Diesel:  Remember that I always thought that Shane Battier should be an Atlanta Hawk as long as he played in the NBA.  Just another of my dreams that never happened.  

:smug:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Pretty sure it's been widely reported Trae wanted DJ.  And it's been reported by our insiders that Trae has preferences on who to play with, such as wanting to retain Collins and Capela.  Don't have to bury your head in the sand to those facts.  The reality is Ressler is the problem because he's the one pushing us to make moves to appease Trae because Trae is making them money.  Trae isn't really to blame for this, but I get why people are misplacing blame on him -- it's more of a gray area than you're describing because of the leverage players have these days but the majority of the blame (for the situation we're in) falls on Ressler.

I’m not but I’m sure there’s a lot of players Trae wants to play with. Whether or not they are a fit should be left up to the coaching staff and front office but I get your point about stars pressure in todays game is clearly different than in the past.

by no means am I saying Trae doesn’t deserve any blame.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Update not expecting anything to happen imminently. A framework has been agreed on with a team but they are mulling whether that decision is worth it for djm or a lateral move. Another suitor has entered the fold as well offering multiple picks and a player that could be moved in a third team. 

So some of the reports about us shopping to see what DJs value is might be correct.  I figured it's not as high as the fans who believe he is all-star caliber, but his contract is still good.  Teams know Ressler is furious, and he's impatient, and we have a history of overpaying, so they're not going to give us their best offers until the actual deadline.  So any deal today was always going to be an underpay for Murray imo.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Packfill said:

Dallas is starting Derrick Jones Jr. a journeyman and, when he was healthy, giving rotational minutes to Dante Exum, who washed out of the NBA for a couple of years.  Both are basically minimum salary guys like the Matthews.  

Matthews was added for leadership, not so much for his on the court performance. Maybe Dallas was wiser with their money, maybe we are just cheap, but the expectations of said players are very different.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, cam1218 said:

Matthews was added for leadership, not so much for his on the court performance. Maybe Dallas was wiser with their money, maybe we are just cheap, but the expectations of said players are very different.

That was certainly my expectation for him - to essentially be an assistant coach.  The fact that we've had to play him, Garrison, and others real minutes is a painful and unfortunate development for our season.

• Like 4