• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

Nets: Cam Thomas and (pull the) Royce (up)

Lakers: Nothing with a capital N!

Buck: Brook Lopez (they won’t)

Knicks: see Lakers

Warruors: Payton 2, Kuminga Moody (latter 2 they won’t) 

5 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Too much meddling.  Too many chefs in the kitchen.  Agents running the show behind the scenes.  Holding onto sacred cows too long.  Focusing too much on the bottom line and the box office...

Fans want to see a winning team.  You need to make basketball decisions to build a winner, you need competent basketball minds making those decisions, and you need to let those competent basketball minds do their damn job.

I'm so tired of basketball drama in ATL.  For once, I thought we finally had a relevant talent and could build something...but it's looking like same old Hawks.  The loyal fan in me is patiently waiting to see how the dust settles, but this DJ ordeal is looking like the final straw for me.

I'll appreciate the team from a distance through the rebuild.

This is sad, wr.  I'm thinking all this, just not sayin it yet.  I thought about starting a sister site called 'f*ckthahawksquawk' but I didn't want the folks here to get the wrong idea. 🤓

But yeah, it's lookin bleak.  And I'm not excited by the 'hey les looklookit tankathon ta see what our pick c'be today'.  Nah, that shat aint it, chief.

So what we gon root for now, @Spud2nique?  We gotta pick a pickle all team?  Slippery stairs on BSPN-Ocho? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

This is sad, wr.  I'm thinking all this, just not sayin it yet.  I thought about starting a sister site called 'f*ckthahawksquawk' but I didn't want the folks here to get the wrong idea. 🤓

But yeah, it's lookin bleak.  And I'm not excited by the 'hey les looklookit tankathon ta see what our pick c'be today'.  Nah, that shat aint it, chief.

So what we gon root for now, @Spud2nique?  We gotta pick a pickle all team?  Slippery stairs on BSPN-Ocho? 

Y'know....  There's a time and place for resetting.  Just like there's a time to push a young team to start winning.  In both cases, it's like we moved too soon.  I'll never abandon the Squawk though.  The reality is, this place will be far more interesting than anything they put on the court.  I'll just go 99% lurker mode.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Been a fan of this team since I took Polaroids with Tree, Dan and Charlie Chriss. We've had fun teams. Decent teams. Terrible teams.  Just like the Falcons..for once I want a championship.  Nothing has been done yet, but the confidence meter for this FO to execute a forward thinking success plan is utterly questionable at best.

I'm also not convinced that the Summer will be any different than adding middling contributors and the usual contrived statements about wanting to win a 'Ship. I'll reserve judgement until the DJ trade, but this is again looking like inept management at its best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, shakes said:

there isn't enough :popcorm1: in a movie theater to handle viewing this thread/board for the next couple weeks.

I've got some Vegas betting lines for this thread from now until trade deadline:

Over/under on number of posters banned or given time outs = 2.5

Over/under on posters having mental breakdowns = 4

Over/under on the number of threads posted by @Diesel that have 5-10 replies all by @Diesel  = 7.5

Over/under on scoops posted by Insiders actually coming true = 0.5

I'm taking the over on everything except the last one lol

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

We haven't even made any moves yet this trade deadline and people are in here talking like an asteroid is heading directly for Earth 😂

LOL.  What is your confidence level?   I would not be shocked if no deal is made.  Ive heard oh yea they gonna make a deal.  Color me not sure. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Vol4ever said:

LOL.  What is your confidence level?   I would not be shocked if no deal is made.  Ive heard oh yea they gonna make a deal.  Color me not sure. 

This front office hasn't really done much yet.  I'm not going to have low confidence based on rumors.  My feeling is we're in a bad situation, but it's not because of this front office group.  It's a situation that has been brewing.  Let's look at what Landry (or this new collective) has actually done since "taking over" if we can call it that.  My grades below:

• Bey for a bunch of seconds: felt like a great move last year, feels bad right now, but overall B+ from me
  • Brought in Garrison Matthews and Bruno for Kaminsky and Holiday, B-
  • Nate gone, Snyder hired, A from me
  • Extended Bogi on $17M/year, B-
  • Drafted Bufkin, Lundy, and got Mo/Miles, jury still out here
  • Offloaded Collins, B-, this was cleanup of Schlenks mistakes
  • Brought in Wes Matthews on a 1 year, C+
  • Extended OO on ~$16M/year, B

None of these moves are really needle movers or worthy of much judgement.  People are free to judge him for moves he didn't make, but I hesitate to do that myself -- at least not until he has a body of work to draw from.  I have no idea what player availability looks, what guys want to come play in ATL, etc.  Moving DJ will be the first major move made by this new regime and that's when I'll start to form an opinion on them.  Trading for DJ in the first place was on Schlenk's watch.  I'm not going to try to untangle the politics of the '22 summer and pass judgement one way or the other.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This front office hasn't really done much yet.  I'm not going to have low confidence based on rumors.  My feeling is we're in a bad situation, but it's not because of this front office group.  It's a situation that has been brewing.  Let's look at what Landry (or this new collective) has actually done since "taking over" if we can call it that.  My grades below:

• Bey for a bunch of seconds: felt like a great move last year, feels bad right now, but overall B+ from me
  • Brought in Garrison Matthews and Bruno for Kaminsky and Holiday, B-
  • Nate gone, Snyder hired, A from me
  • Extended Bogi on $17M/year, B-
  • Drafted Bufkin, Lundy, and got Mo/Miles, jury still out here
  • Offloaded Collins, B-, this was cleanup of Schlenks mistakes
  • Brought in Wes Matthews on a 1 year, C+
  • Extended OO on ~$16M/year, B

None of these moves are really needle movers or worthy of much judgement.  People are free to judge him for moves he didn't make, but I hesitate to do that myself -- at least not until he has a body of work to draw from.  I have no idea what player availability looks, what guys want to come play in ATL, etc.  Moving DJ will be the first major move made by this new regime and that's when I'll start to form an opinion on them.  Trading for DJ in the first place was on Schlenk's watch.  I'm not going to try to untangle the politics of the '22 summer and pass judgement one way or the other.

To be clear, the rumors don't bother me and I'm not dumping on Landry/Kyle.  They are doing their job and I'm honestly waiting to see how this plays out.  They are responsible for their performance in the FO, but not for the entirety of the Trae Young era of the Hawks.  What's bothering me is reading between the lines. 

It's unsettling to say the least and I'm not talking about trade rumors here.  I'm talking about reviewing public comments, firings, trades, etc. with the full benefit of hindsight and insider commentary.  There's so much to draw correlations with and solid consistency between the things that @Sothron, @NBASupes, and now @Mikey have said.  It all lines up to some very clear writing on the wall and it makes my chest ache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Headed to California.  Going to trade for a star while we're gone!

Murray + filter to the Lakers for LeBron James.

If you're gonna dream, dream big.  I know, this is a one-sided deal but someone gotta take LJ off the Lakers hands and they do get the player that they want.

:smug:

• Like 3