• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

To back up with @thecampster and @NBASupes has said: these leaks about DJM to the Lakers are coming from Klutch and the Lakers. In reality there are several teams talking to the Hawks about DJM. It is not a foregone conclusion he is moved to the Lakers. 

FgOa.gif

I should probably disconnect from the Squawk over the weekend...maybe until the trade deadline passes. 
I am prone to overthinking and I have a RIDICULOUS imagination 😅

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Based on the reactions here, the trade to the Lakers for trash and a first has already happened

See above! lol

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Wretch said:

FgOa.gif

I should probably disconnect from the Squawk over the weekend...maybe until the trade deadline passes. 
I am prone to overthinking and I have a RIDICULOUS imagination 😅

I keep saying that, but they keep pulling me back in.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I do want to say for the record AGAIN...that if we're disappointed with the returns or the direction the team is headed, that I personally am not holding it all against the current FO.  They walked into this and have their own challenges making it work.  I'll judge them exclusively on that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not even getting a TPE, just a straight dump?

Taking a step back.....I just don't believe that's what this Owner/FO will do.......cause it just doesn't make any good NBA sense.

Yeah....so everybody calm down!:praying:

It's a total fire sale right now. Word is they are even offering Trae for an expiring and a conditional second. In fact a team offered multiple unprotected 1sts for Trae, but the Hawks said they could not accept such a deal in good conscience. We are like ascetic monks, practicing strict self denial as a way of life.

• Haha 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I do want to say for the record AGAIN...that if we're disappointed with the returns or the direction the team is headed, that I personally am not holding it all against the current FO.  They walked into this and have their own challenges making it work.  I'll judge them exclusively on that.

How could you not hold it against the FO if they execute a trade with a terrible return?   Their primary responsibility is to make the most of the assets they inherited.  They also need to chart a direction from where we were when they came in so if they pick a terrible direction I'm holding them accountable.

I don't blame them for mistakes made before they took the job but they own the choices they make going forward which includes the return on any trade and the direction any such deal sends us.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, AHF said:

How could you not hold it against the FO if they execute a trade with a terrible return? 

I think what he's saying is he'll throw most of their inability to be effective at Messy Ressy and Sons if this is about reducing payroll as the driving force.

Just like the Huerter trade, it was a mandate from Ressler to get under the tax after acquiring Murray.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think what he's saying is he'll throw most of their inability to be effective at Messy Ressy and Sons if this is about reducing payroll as the driving force.

It's not though.  We're not in a position where we'll inevitably pay the tax next year.  Even if we were in that position, we'd be dumping one of Bogi/Capela/Hunter.  I think we want an expiring to take advantage of teams that have good assets and will need to save money next year (#1 would be Minny).  That's my best guess anyways

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If we shed DJ as a salary dump (which is a REALLY STUPID)....WE STILL WON'T HAVE ANY CAPSPACE TO SIGN ANYONE.

Including our two 2024 picks we'd have $170 million for 14 players. Subtract DJ's $24 million that puts us at $146 mill. The projected salary may get to $150 million at most, but might be less.

Who are you signing with $4 million in capspace?

We'd need to shed 2 of CC/Dre/Bogi to have meaningful capspace.

Which is why making the power play for Siakam was always the correct move. 

If the move works, you re-sign him at a near max or max number and go into the Tax.  If it doesn't, you either let him walk, see if you can sign and trade him somewhere, or try to get a massive TPE to re-stock the team.

It's incredible that we let dumb ass rumors about him not signing somewhere, sway us into not aggressively going after him.  And then a team just jumps right in and grabs him with draft picks?

They better pull a damn rabbit out their hat in these next 2 weeks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, warcore said:

so you think DFS and Caruso are worth 2 1sts like the "league" is saying? Neither of them will ever sniff an all star game. 

Caruso is worth gonna be worth two picks to people because he’s a consistent All-NBA defender who is great at what he does. He was one of the reasons the lakers won their ring in 2020. DFS, idk if he’s gonna go for two picks but I do know he’s a good role player that plays good defense and shoots wells that teams would love to have.

Also on the whole perceived value thing, people can get mad at me for saying Murray isn’t worth as much hawks fans think he is. But I’ll say this: why is it that the only team that has had continued interest in Dejounte since January 9th has been the lakers? Why are teams like the Knicks and Raptors looking at Dejounte and saying to themselves “nah I’m good”? Why has the Hawks asking price been decreasing consistently since January 9th? Because teams don’t think Dejounte is all that. I’m not decreasing his value by saying the league doesn’t Dejounte isn’t a game changer. The LEAGUE doesn’t think that. And that’s why the Lakers are the only team so far willing to trade for him so far. I mean people on Twitter are literally debating if D’Lo is better than Dejounte now lol.

Now If I’m wrong, I will gladly eat a bug and be happy, but the way things are looking, people should be expecting a mid deal. If I’m the hawks, I would gladly take that 2029 pick and 2030 pick swap, take D’Lo, and see if I can flip D’Lo at the trade deadline or reject his player option. 

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Which is why making the power play for Siakam was always the correct move. 

If the move works, you re-sign him at a near max or max number and go into the Tax.  If it doesn't, you either let him walk, see if you can sign and trade him somewhere, or try to get a massive TPE to re-stock the team.

It's incredible that we let dumb ass rumors about him not signing somewhere, sway us into not aggressively going after him.  And then a team just jumps right in and grabs him with draft picks?

They better pull a damn rabbit out their hat in these next 2 weeks.

Totally agree.  I feel justified even more so pulling for the Siakam deal.  

• Premium Member
On 1/24/2024 at 6:36 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

This needs a team no one is talking about to jump into the fray. :praying:

Lets see which teams I can come up with :thinking:....be right back.

I already posted the Detroit interest. How about NOP, Jazz (they're in the play-in at the moment), the Magic, Nets.

• Premium Member

This is I interesting and so confusing at the same time. Is Dinwiddie better that Russell?

We want a better player that DLo that's on a 1 year deal!

• The Lakers appear to have made the most aggressive known bid to date for Murray. Los Angeles has been willing to include a 2029 first-round pick plus a pick swap in its attempts to land the Hawks guard, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Atlanta is searching for a better player return than Russell, sources said, and the Hawks seem to prefer not taking back future salary, leaving the possibility for another three-team deal at the deadline that includes Russell — after he joined the Lakers by way of last February’s Utah-Minnesota-Los Angeles triple dip. Russell holds an $18.6 million player option for next season that will factor into any team’s decision to obtain the Ohio State product.

Via Jake Fisher, Yahoo

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

But I’ll say this: why is it that the only team that has had continued interest in Dejounte since January 9th has been the lakers?

I see. You don't know how leverage works and you believe anything on the internet.  

Hard for you to argue otherwise if you truly believe the ONLY team interested in DJ is the Lakers. 

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

How could you not hold it against the FO if they execute a trade with a terrible return?   Their primary responsibility is to make the most of the assets they inherited.  They also need to chart a direction from where we were when they came in so if they pick a terrible direction I'm holding them accountable.

I don't blame them for mistakes made before they took the job but they own the choices they make going forward which includes the return on any trade and the direction any such deal sends us.

What @JayBirdHawk said.  

I won't put it all on Landry, Kyle & Co.  Certainly they can make things worse and by no means am I absolving them from that.  I'm just saying we're here because of decisions made prior to their arrival.  I want to believe what you believe - that we hold the cards with a young, very good player, not in his prime, and locked in on a team-friendly deal.  At the same time, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes with agents and the politics of GM/player negotiations...and we are consistently being cautioned by all of the insiders to temper our expectations on returns.

In short, I will be LIVID if all we get are some token 1st rounders and a "solid" rotational and/or expiring player...but the larger portion of blame I would place on ownership meddling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Wretch said:

U sound like your the burner lol

• Haha 1