• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

5 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

EXPECTING TOO MUCH!

Hawk fans, including me, have been expecting too much for Murray.  If the Hawks can grab a young starter and some extra, perhaps a handful of 2nd round picks, we should be happy.

Crazy?  Not if we get a real starter who is young, this is almost an even trade.  Do I believe this is the total worth of our all-star PG?  Yep.  Naturally, this young starter must be a really good player, not a borderline starter.  He might become a starter, or he has the potential to start.  

Hawks lose a starter.  Hawks gain a starter.  Draft picks, future 1st or 2nd round picks are a bonus to Atlanta because we are losing an all-star player on a very reasonable contract.

:smug:

It’s got to be a quality starter with upside and still at least one first round pick. Anything less is giving in to player/agent pressure. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Watchman said:

Wasn't there talk of Trae beginning to play off the ball (i.e. a 2 Guard)?  If he had been told that was going to happen and it didn't, which wouldn't shock me, knowing our lousy front office, I can understand his frustration.  I guess Trae can throw the biggest temper tantrum, and as always, he wins for whatever reason.  DJM took a lower $ contract to stay here.  That would indicate he was misled my management, and possibly ownership.  I wish we could unload both of them at this point.

They tried it in preseason and were turning the ball over left and right.

There is no way that DJ expected to be the primary facilitator on this team, right?

At best, it would be a 35/65 mix of DJ playing the point.  And I swear that I didn't look that number up before I wrote that ratio, but that's exactly how his minutes between PG and SG break down.  So I guess in DJ's mind, he'd be actually playing the point 50% of the time that he was on the floor with Trae?

Not realistic. Not with the way that Trae can find teammates with the basketball. 

That's why I think it's real beef is with Bogdanovic and his floor time usage, instead of Trae Young. But I'm sure he wants to be on the ball more alongside Trae as well.

I cant get a full read on this DJ situation. But if he says that the team agrees with his assessment, the coach may have a problem on his hands.

Is Quin Snyder actually Coach Kilmer from Varsity Blues?

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They tried it in preseason and were turning the ball over left and right.

There is no way that DJ expected to be the primary facilitator on this team, right?

At best, it would be a 35/65 mix of DJ playing the point.  And I swear that I didn't look that number up before I wrote that ratio, but that's exactly how his minutes between PG and SG break down.  So I guess in DJ's mind, he'd be actually playing the point 50% of the time that he was on the floor with Trae?

Not realistic. Not with the way that Trae can find teammates with the basketball. 

That's why I think it's real beef is with Bogdanovic and his floor time usage, instead of Trae Young. But I'm sure he wants to be on the ball more alongside Trae as well.

I cant get a full read on this DJ situation. But if he says that the team agrees with his assessment, the coach may have a problem on his hands.

Is Quin Snyder actually Coach Kilmer from Varsity Blues?

Any varsity blues gets a 👍 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I've been saying, Bey for Grimes makes more sense than Grimes for Murray. 

-the out(laws)siders :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think people can look at Bey’s whole career and get on board with him being a hustle guy and offensive add to their team (I know he has slumped very badly over the last month or so).  But I have a hard time thinking any team would view him as a replacement starter PF at this point.  I’d take that if offered for sure.

Oh I agree. I really like Bey … off the bench. Was just thinking as a stop gap for them until Randle is back, and then move him back to his bench role. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Let's keep it 100.

You know why DJ will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt over Trae?

Because DJ did this at the end of Game 4 vs Boston last season.

I like DJ. I like his passion.  But this is easily one of the most selfish, immature acts I've ever seen at the end of a basketball game.

Yes, the refs were screwing us left and right on calls.  But you go up to the ref after the game, bump him, and get yourself suspended for Game 5, KNOWING that it's an elimination game and that your team will be without you?.  And DJ was having a FANTASTIC playoff series.

But in that one moment, he gave up on his team and let his emotions get the best of him. Forget bumping one of the Boston players out of frustration during the game. He goes after the "soft target" and bumps the ref.

This entire fan base, outside of a few of us, even thought that the Hawks had a shot to even keep it competitive.

But you know who didn't give up?  This guy.

Say what you want about Trae's game, this guy has literally brought me more joy watching the Hawks, than any player in the last 30 years.  And that includes Joe Johnson, who I loved as a player.  The fact that one of the smallest players in the league was able to do this in Boston Garden, is what makes this dude special.

When we lose DJ, it's not going to be all doom and gloom around here, IF . . someone steps up and absorbs some of the scoring that we'll lose.  Maybe that someone is multiple players.

I think that DJ has figured out that as long as Trae Young is in Atlanta, he will NEVER be the guy.  And if he's not willing to be "Robin" to Trae's "Batman", then maybe it is time for him to go.

I still say that these two playing together is not the issue.  The issue is that our frontcourt just isn't up to NBA standards.

Perfectly said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bey is not a not a PF. He's only a PF in Quin's system.

He’s a tweener. Full time 4? No. He really shouldn’t be starting in general. But He could play up to a 4 with OG for 4-6 weeks waiting for Randle to get back. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Let's keep it 100.

You know why DJ will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt over Trae?

Because DJ did this at the end of Game 4 vs Boston last season.

I like DJ. I like his passion.  But this is easily one of the most selfish, immature acts I've ever seen at the end of a basketball game.

Yes, the refs were screwing us left and right on calls.  But you go up to the ref after the game, bump him, and get yourself suspended for Game 5, KNOWING that it's an elimination game and that your team will be without you?.  And DJ was having a FANTASTIC playoff series.

But in that one moment, he gave up on his team and let his emotions get the best of him. Forget bumping one of the Boston players out of frustration during the game. He goes after the "soft target" and bumps the ref.

This entire fan base, outside of a few of us, even thought that the Hawks had a shot to even keep it competitive.

But you know who didn't give up?  This guy.

Say what you want about Trae's game, this guy has literally brought me more joy watching the Hawks, than any player in the last 30 years.  And that includes Joe Johnson, who I loved as a player.  The fact that one of the smallest players in the league was able to do this in Boston Garden, is what makes this dude special.

When we lose DJ, it's not going to be all doom and gloom around here, IF . . someone steps up and absorbs some of the scoring that we'll lose.  Maybe that someone is multiple players.

I think that DJ has figured out that as long as Trae Young is in Atlanta, he will NEVER be the guy.  And if he's not willing to be "Robin" to Trae's "Batman", then maybe it is time for him to go.

I still say that these two playing together is not the issue.  The issue is that our frontcourt just isn't up to NBA standards.

Just speaking for me personally but I didn’t hold that screw up against him.  The issue is that he just isn’t as good as Trae so naturally people are going to be bigger fans of Trae particularly since Trae led the Hawks to their best postseason in Atlanta history.  I like Dejounte.  I just don’t like the fit with him and Trae.  DJ was asked to guard the SG when he came here and I expected big D with his All-NBA selection and that didn’t happen.  Offensively, Trae and DJ are effective together because they are both very good but don’t make each other better.  They take turns. 

Id be more than happy to see them keep playing together if they fit better or the team was doing better.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

All I want to see is Trae play with an ultra aggressive front court that’s long and athletic with some size.

if we can get half of that, Trae can win here.

image.gif

still my goal.  The little red one even looks like Trae.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Just speaking for me personally but I didn’t hold that screw up against him.  The issue is that he just isn’t as good as Trae so naturally people are going to be bigger fans of Trae particularly since Trae led the Hawks to their best postseason in Atlanta history.  I like Dejounte.  I just don’t like the fit with him and Trae.  DJ was asked to guard the SG when he came here and I expected big D with his All-NBA selection and that didn’t happen.  Offensively, Trae and DJ are effective together because they are both very good but don’t make each other better.  They take turns. 

Id be more than happy to see them keep playing together if they fit better or the team was doing better.

I agree with most of what you said.  Here's my 2 cents.

I didn't expect DJ to be a defensive stopper until I heard everybody talking about how he can play defense.   I expected him to be an OG that can really help with ball handling and allow Trae to either play off ball or have somebody who can run the offense when Trae is out of the game. 

Too much is made about size...   DJ is a legit 6'4" maybe 6'5" .  Many of the other guards that we would look to replace him fall in that range.  If you want a model, look at Cleveland.   Garland and Mitchell are not tall.   Then look at what Cleveland did to support them.   They have a frontline that's  6'11, 6'11, and 6'5".    You have to support your backcourt.   All of the guys who play for Cleveland except Allen and Mobley shoot above 33% from three.  Again... they have a scheme that works for them.. 

• Like 1