• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next year is the 10 year anniversary of the 60 win 2014/15 Hawks

Sothron

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

I can't believe we are quickly approaching TEN YEARS

Yup, a friend and I discussed the quick passing of time last night over dinner, blink of an eye, it’s gone. 😞 

What are you favorite memories of that team?

Team unity, grinding and playing as a unit. We were a well oiled machine with folks who knew their roles, and the team came together perfectly.

The perfect month of January?

That was crazy, best month of my Hawks fanhood most likely. 4 all star type dudes, 5 with DMC.

The multiple All Star selections? The most balanced Hawks team in franchise history? 

Yes and yes.

Where is this current team and front office in relation to that team

Well which part of it. Things got messy with the Ferry/Deng and Ferry in general comments. No denying Ferry was good, at least for that period, Landry hasn’t done a damn thing but hire Korver I think. 

This team has more star power in Trae (superstar), I mean we had Sap, Hor, Teague and Korver but none as good as Trae individually. Having said that, the 2014-15 would be the current team by 12-15 points imo.

The only downside to that wonderful 60 win team is that it soon was broken up and guys left. I feel like this current team doesn't have that issue so much.

The only downside to that wonderful 60 win team is that it soon was broken up and guys left. I feel like this current team doesn't have that issue so much.

Yup all on the down side of their prime probably with the exception of Teague coming out in 2009, DMC and maybe Hor, but Sap and Korver seemed to be winding down a tad a couple years after that, or at least a few years.

I’m hoping this team can gel like that one, gonna take a bit of work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

Just had to shake my head when Mrs. Sothron pointed this out to me. I can't believe we are quickly approaching TEN YEARS since that magical season. 

What are you favorite memories of that team? The perfect month of January? The multiple All Star selections? The most balanced Hawks team in franchise history?  We were 6th in offensive efficiency and 6th in defensive efficiency. 5th on offense for total points and 5th on defense for points allowed if you prefer raw stats.

Another more pressing question perhaps: Look at that team for those of us old enough to remember them. Where is this current team and front office in relation to that team and its front office? Do you feel we are on the same level? Worse? Better? 

Let's take a moment and reflect on that great team, the literal best team in Atlanta Hawks history, and talk about it. Good and bad. I took a page from @NBASupes book and have a realistic 2014/15 franchise mode going in NBA 2k and having a blast with that 60 win team.

That squad was insane. I even got them playing like that year in 2k where they all know how to play with and without the ball at a high level and there aren't any #1 options. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

It's bittersweet for me.

The team was fantastic, but for the first time in 30 years I had completely given up on the Hawks.  At the beginning of the season, I saw another middling team and after years of the treadmill, I had enough of it.  Danny Ferry's vision didn't sit well with me.  A blue collar team, without a star, building through late 1st rounders and whatever decent FA's would agree to come here.  Pete Babcock and Lenny Wilkens had an ideology that they called "win without losing."  The idea was the same: make the playoffs, stay out of the lottery, focus on team over prolific individual contributors.  At the end of the day, this is a star driven league and pretty much, the path to acquire star talent is in the opposite direction of this strategy.

It was hard watching the team succeed at first.  It wasn't so much putting my foot in my mouth.  I honestly felt horrible for trashing the team and giving up.  I was a full on hater and it was completely out of character for me. I have a very limited tolerance for front office guys and coaches, but  I ALWAYS see the best in every player we have.

In terms of comparing our front office now to then...

I didn't like Danny Ferry, all of the in-fighting, and the implications of his own words and his comfort level with the chatter taking place behind the scenes. From the beginning of Ferry's tenure to the start of Trae's era, I was almost completely disconnected from the team.  At one point, I had even left the Squawk as we were polarized over the circus that was our front office.  Needless to say, I appreciate where we are as an organization infinitely more - regardless of our current record.

In terms of the team itself, there was nothing to not like.  I didn't have a lot of faith that it was sustainable, but they were a joy to watch in the moment.  Even though it was a total team effort, I believe Kyle Korver was the star of the show.  We were dialed in and hitting 3's when we needed to...but KK was the big gun punishing the defense. 

Man, if I could go back in time and put prime KK on this team..........

• Like 4

• Moderators

The balance on that team was just incredible.  Sap and Horford were strong defenders, elite big man passers, and good scorers with only size being a limitation.  DMC was the all-around blue collar wing combined with the elite shooting of Korver and elite defense of Thabo.  Teague was a serviceable point.  Baze and Dennis were solid backups in the backcourt with Pero and Moose spreading the floor in the frontcourt.  Everyone had a role to play and when January arrived they gelled together in a way few teams ever do.

That January was the ultimate highlight for me.  Every game was a joy with an exciting brand of basketball that felt a bit like Hoosiers with “team” prevailing over brighter stars on other teams.  So much fun and the excitement just built on itself game after game.  Joyful basketball.  

The playoffs were always going to be a challenge but having two key cogs wiped out by absolute BS was tough.  It hurt getting curb stomped by LeBron’s Cavs (who had injuries of their own but the game’s best player to keep them more whole).

• Like 2

• Premium Member

They ran like a perfectly well oiled machine. Loved it at the peak in January.

Unfortunately, once one cog became loose, it wasn't pretty in the end, but what a ride that season was. Philip's Arena during that run was DEAFENING!!!!!!

❤️ 😍 💖 ❣️  - All Love!!!

• Like 1

I remember when they put us on top of the power ranking before January, and it may have even had a sarcastic comment like, "Why not just put the Hawks here for this week."  Then we kept on winning and they couldn't take us out of the top spot.

The thing about that team at its peak is we didn't just win close games.  The games were over mid way through the 4th quarter.  It was domination.  

Just the feeling of being the best for a sustained period of time.  Never experienced that as a Hawks fan.  The media didn't know what to do with us either because we had no stars.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

As ranking goes..  top 5 Hawks teams... the 60 win is the winningest but I don't consider them the strongest??  What?  The strongest wasn't the best coached.   Here's how I rank it and why...

1.  2010-2011 Atlanta Hawks. 

Yeah.. a 44 win team.  Why Diesel Why?  If those players would have been coached correctly...    

Bibby, Johnson, Crawford, Smoove, and Horf with Teague, Zaza, Marvin,  and captain Kirk off the bench.   This team beat Shaq and the Magic 4-2.  They also put fear into the Bulls with MVP Derrick Rose.   I don't believe that they were coached well.   If Bud had these guys, they would have been in the finals. 

2.  2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks.

60 win team goes without saying.  The only problem with this team is that they lacked depth. 

3.  2007-2008 Atlanta Hawks.

Another one of those.  Yeah, first round loss to the Celtics.  In 7 though.  This was a nonmodern NBA team.  Nobody was good at hitting that 3. 

4.  2020-2021 Atlanta Hawks. 

If this team had Depth and a second ball handler...

5.  1997-1998 Atlanta Hawks.

Any team with Smitty and Deke and Mookie is a great team.  It's a strong possibility that this team can beat all the rest. Just think Deke averaging 3.4 bpg.

I limited myself to 30 yrs.  I know Nique had some teams.  There's an anniversary there that i would rather let go...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Diesel said:

As ranking goes..  top 5 Hawks teams... the 60 win is the winningest but I don't consider them the strongest??  What?  The strongest wasn't the best coached.   Here's how I rank it and why...

1.  2010-2011 Atlanta Hawks. 

Yeah.. a 44 win team.  Why Diesel Why?  If those players would have been coached correctly...    

Bibby, Johnson, Crawford, Smoove, and Horf with Teague, Zaza, Marvin,  and captain Kirk off the bench.   This team beat Shaq and the Magic 4-2.  They also put fear into the Bulls with MVP Derrick Rose.   I don't believe that they were coached well.   If Bud had these guys, they would have been in the finals. 

2.  2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks.

60 win team goes without saying.  The only problem with this team is that they lacked depth. 

3.  2007-2008 Atlanta Hawks.

Another one of those.  Yeah, first round loss to the Celtics.  In 7 though.  This was a nonmodern NBA team.  Nobody was good at hitting that 3. 

4.  2020-2021 Atlanta Hawks. 

If this team had Depth and a second ball handler...

5.  1997-1998 Atlanta Hawks.

Any team with Smitty and Deke and Mookie is a great team.  It's a strong possibility that this team can beat all the rest. Just think Deke averaging 3.4 bpg.

I limited myself to 30 yrs.  I know Nique had some teams.  There's an anniversary there that i would rather let go...

The Nique team that had Moses Malone as a free agent and the trade for Reggie Theus could have won a title if Kevin Willis hadn't missed the entire season with a knee injury. Off memory this was either 1988 or 1989.

• Like 1

Always had a personal dislike for Paul Pierce.  I always respected him as a player.  Clutch, money, automatic, all of the above.  Was probably because of the formation of the Super Teams (PP, KG, RA Celtics…..Lebron lost me when he went to Miami, blah blah blah).

Playoffs, in the twilight of his career he banks in that buzzer beater in game 3.  A realization of “The Truth”.  The feeling of A LIFETIME of living on the short end of the stick.  I could’ve sworn he looked at me through the TV and grinned.

Fast forward to the end of Game 6.  This mutha….  wait…sorry…not this time Paul.  (John Wall or no John Wall) Was a personal victory for me.  What a feeling.

Edited by Chrimturn

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Let's talk about the winningness Hawks team.

1.  My favorite part of that team was the month that all of the players were player of the Month. 

image.png

It was a highlight that I think will not be matched for a while. 

2.  It was good to see 4 Allstars out of this team.  They deserved it. 

Is my mind playing tricks with me? I could have sworn all five of our starters made the all star team and that Bud played all of them together for a couple minutes during the game. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Is my mind playing tricks with me? I could have sworn all five of our starters made the all star team and that Bud played all of them together for a couple minutes during the game. 

DMC did not make the ASG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

The Nique team that had Moses Malone as a free agent and the trade for Reggie Theus could have won a title if Kevin Willis hadn't missed the entire season with a knee injury. Off memory this was either 1988 or 1989.

Yeah.. I put a cap on the years I went back because of uhm....  cough cough... 1993-1994.

• Sad 1

Bud molded so many fringe players into useful pieces.  Pero, Baze, Shelvin, I never even heard of DMC before he got here.  Moose is still in the league due to his formative years under Bud, Money Mike not so much 🙁

You could still get a great seat versus the Warriors for a reasonable price.  Best game I ever been to.

Watching Kyle move and shoot and Thabo glide across the floor every night was an absolute blast for me.  Kyle led the team in minutes with an obscene TS% of .699!  Thabo had a microscopic 100 defensive rating.  Hawks would have to tear everything down to identify players who can be that efficient and get to a near 6 point differential again

Edited by benhillboy