• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will we go 0-12 against Miami/Boston/Orlando?

jerrywest

I don't see us losing less than 10 of 12.

I just don't understand all these negative vibes!

C'mon folks! We'll do just fine! We have a very good team with huge upside from within... This team didn't realize even 70% of it's potentials!

I expect nothin' less than .500 against mentioned trio!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

1-3 Miami

1-3 Orlando

3-1 Beantown

5-7 Overall. Not too shabby for the best also-ran squad money (or a lack thereof) can buy.

~lw3

Do you see us beating Orlando?? How? They still have JJ Reddick = The Hawk killer. I can't wait til preseason. It's like 2 months away.

We went 4-0 vs Boston last year

now they are older and we actually may have an offense plan

our guys should only be improving while bos is in decline

So how can you not see us win 3/12 when we were 4-0 vs bos?

I can see predicting that low if a pessimist, but u should be able to see that it is possible to win 3 or 4 vs bos

Boston has Nate and Shaq who we can't handle.

Orlando has Howard, Anderson, Carter and pretty much the whole team who we can't handle.

Heat got a bench that is deeper than ours. Can you believe it?

When we were 13-69, we thought we have owners who wanted to win. Now we know the truth.

• Premium Member

Boston has Nate and Shaq who we Woody can't handle.

Orlando has Howard, Anderson, Carter and pretty much the whole team who we Woody can't handle.

Fixed.

Edited by niremetal

Trying to be optimistic. I don't see us beating the Heat or Magic unless they just have one of those off nights. Assuming the Celtics are healthy. I could see us going 2-2 vs them. Both teams winning their respective home games. A 2-10 record seem more realistic.

That is unless our players finally play up to their potential. If our players would play up to their potential on a consistent basis. Another play on the road like they do at home. We would be a legit title contender as we are.

• Moderators

Do you see us beating Orlando?? How? They still have JJ Reddick = The Hawk killer. I can't wait til preseason. It's like 2 months away.

We beat 'em once late last season (Thanks for that gift, Orlando! Box out Josh next time!) with Woodyball, on the strength of a .286 3-Point shooting performance from the outside snipers. Orlando still has enough question marks on that roster that we should be able to beat 'em at least once during the regular season, when the iron's unkind.

~lw3

I see us 0-4 against Orlando, split with Miami and Boston. So that would be 4-8. Not sure, but I think they were 4-8 or 5-7 vs. Cleveland, Orlando and Boston last year.

I think Miami will have chemistry issues, Boston is old, and Rasheed Wallace was as good, if not better than older Shaq. I think that an "underpaid" (in his mind) Shaq will be less than helpful to Boston.

The one thing that always bothered me about this team was that they play much better against good teams that crappy ones. They struggled against teams like NY, so if they would just not play down to the level of the opposition, I think they could make up some of the losses against the better teams. A win against NJ, or Indiana, counts just as much as one against Miami or Orlando. (Untill the playoffs, where I think things aren't very promising.)

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of doom-and-gloom about the upcoming season. I'm as upset as everyone else at how the off-season went as far as additions and penny-pinching, but we still have a good team. We are still a team that is built for the regular season, and we will still get a healthy amount of wins. As someone else said, it's the playoffs that's another matter. Getting out of the 1st Round will be more of a chore than it was last season, I think.

But still, Miami will be tough. Maybe 1-3, same with Orlando. But Boston we should still get 3-1 from, I would think. They are just older and in a regular season game we should still handle them. Chicago doesn't scare me that much in the regular season as well. I think we are still better than them from the 2-5. Josh was owning Boozer last year, Horford better than Noah, Joe better than whomever they have there, etc. I still think we could end up with close to the 3rd best record in the East. Problem is we'll be seeded 5th because of the way that works. But I think we would still get home court? Maybe someone else knows.

• Premium Member

I don't care about how we do in the regular season. It is meaningless except for playoff seeding. And speaking of which we're the third best team in the Southeast division which is going to hurt our seeding no matter what our record is. What we should care about is actually having a chance to beating teams in the playoffs.

We don't have a team that can beat a top three seed in the playoffs. It is just that simple.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

We don't have a team that can beat a top three seed in the playoffs. It is just that simple.

I really don't get why people think this about a team with an All-NBA player, a young All-Star, the reigning Sixth Man of the Year, a guy who didn't make the All-Star team who many consider our best player, and at least 4 solid rotation players behind them. I'm in the camp that our roster is stacked, but that it was atrociously misused by Woodson.

Even with Woody, we played Cleveland close, and I honestly think that coaching was the only thing keeping us from being competitive with Orlando. Dwight Howard has never once scored 50 points in a game, but Woody's strategies had our team acting like he was a 50-point threat every night. He let that one matchup disadvantage completely dominate our defensive strategy, which led to raining 3s and easy layups from cutters every game. On offense, his ISO-or-nothing "strategy" was doomed to failure because it allowed Howard to park himself near the basket and wait for Joe or Jamal to drive to the hoop.

I honestly don't think the talent gap between us and Orlando is anywhere near what people make it out to be. Same with Boston. Miami is a team no one outside LA can hope to match up with on paper, but I don't think they're invincible in real life. Is a tough road? Sure. But I'd argue it's no tougher than the one Orlando had to take to make the Finals in '09.

• Like 2

Really it's about the long haul. That's why Boston went back to the NBA finals. While the Hawks were excited to go 4-0 against Boston they chugged along and played thier best ball in the playoffs. There is a real lesson to be learned. The regular season is only moderately important.

The only person who downplayed sweeping Boston in the entire organization . . . was Joe Johnson. And he got ripped by most of the fans for his nonchalant reaction to doing that, while Crawford got praised for saying it was important.

The regular season is important. How you finish the regular season is probably more important. The facts are that you do have to play at a high level in the regular season, but it's supposed to prepare you for the grind of the playoffs. When the playoff comes, players must be mentally ready to get the job done.

Until the Hawks can prove that they can consistently win on the road at over a .500 clip, you have to question if this team can get to the next level. In recent years, this is Utah's problem as well. Play like world champs at home . . struggle against anybody on the road . . get to the playoffs, and you're done in Round 2 almost every single year.

Edited by northcyde