• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford for D-Will?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Not a trade rumor. A trade that we passed on.

The Nets' deal for Williams was the biggest shocker, since very few teams called Utah other than New Jersey. Atlanta inquired but when the Jazz asked for Al Horford, the Hawks' interest died. Williams is a tier up from Horford, if not two, but the Hawks felt they couldn't part with their best/only big man.

Deron Williams with Joe Johnson and Smoove.

I'm wondering had we shuffled Bibby that way would they have given us Al J too?

That would have been sweet!!

The real question that comes to mind is are we overvaluing Horf?

Edited by Diesel

Our general manager blew that one. Can you imagine what we would have looked like with Deron Williams in the playoffs ?

Of course D-Will is a more valuable player than Horf. To be honest, I hope this isn't true because as much as I prefer Horf over Smoove at power forward, having an opportunity to move either Smoove or Horford for D-Will would be a no brainer for me. You get the all-star young point guard and plug in Zaza back at starting center and have Powell get more minutes backing up smoove or vice versa. Something tells me there's more to the story though. I can't believe we wouldn't make that deal. Maybe they knew D-Will didn't want to play here or something.

Joe's contract and perhaps D-Will's unwillingness/uncertainty of resigning with Atlanta definitely had an impact on this deal not going through. No way, we would've just passed on it, but knowing the ownership in question... :kickcan:

Edited by SmooveZilla
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Of course D-Will is a more valuable player than Horf. To be honest, I hope this isn't true because as much as I prefer Horf over Smoove at power forward, having an opportunity to move either Smoove or Horford for D-Will would be a no brainer for me. You get the all-star young point guard and plug in Zaza back at starting center and have Powell get more minutes backing up smoove or vice versa. Something tells me there's more to the story though. I can't believe we wouldn't make that deal. Maybe they knew D-Will didn't want to play here or something.

I guess it's all for the best. We found Teague and we can still muster up a trade of Horf/Smoove at some point.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I just don't see why we wouldn't trade Horf for Deron. That seems like a no brainer to me. Horf is great but i'd take a Deron/Joe/?/Smoove/Zaza lineup over Teague/Joe/?/Smoove/Horf lineup. Especially if you fill that question mark with someone like Prince and/or upgrade Zaza by trading hinrich mid season.

Can you imagine how much better Deron would make Joe?

I just don't see why we wouldn't trade Horf for Deron. That seems like a no brainer to me. Horf is great but i'd take a Deron/Joe/?/Smoove/Zaza lineup over Teague/Joe/?/Smoove/Horf lineup. Especially if you fill that question mark with someone like Prince and/or upgrade Zaza by trading hinrich mid season.

Can you imagine how much better Deron would make Joe?

I am starting to wonder if the reall issue is Joe really needs the ball a lot to be effective, and if that's the case, would it even help to have someone like Deron Williams. Just askin....

if we had made this deal (maybe Bibby/Horf for Deron to match salaries) we would still have Jordan Craw to be our next 6th man.

What a missed opportunity.... :banghead:

Are you serious? You honestly think it was 1 for 1 swap? The deal would have had Al as the main piece but clearly Jordan/Teague and picks then filler would of had to of been included to match salaries. Bibby, Jr, and a 1st were needed to get just Hinrich but you think Bibby and Al alone would of gotten Deron? More likely Jamal's expiring, Zaza maybe, Jr or Teague as young prospects, picks and then Al would of had to of been a part to compete with the Net's Devin, last year's number 3 pick Favors, this year's number 3 pick (Kanter) and then what is likely to be another lotto pick from Golden State.

Absolutely we are overvaluing Horford. Horford is not MVP material (even his own GM would say so), Deron Williams is. Plus he could be a great mentor to Teague. Sund/ASG blew it. Terrible non-move.

Question . . . is Deron Williams a superstar?

I say no.

Therefore, as inconsistent offensively as Horford was, you can't make that deal. You don't trade big for small, unless that big has a replacement or that small is a superstar. Our frontline is nothing if we lose Horford or Smith, and don't get a good big man in return.

Of course, during the season, Horford was a top 3 center that gave you solid production every night. We were already somewhat guard heavy with JJ and Jamal + Bibby and Teague if necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't do that deal either. Deron is a better player than Horford. That doesn't mean that the Hawks are better if you add Deron, but subtract Horford. We'd simply have one of the best backcourts in the league, but Smith would be our ONLY quality player on the frontline.

Giving extended minutes to guys like Zaza, Collins and Powell, doesn't help us, even if we had a Deron.

• Premium Member

I say no.

Therefore, as inconsistent offensively as Horford was, you can't make that deal. You don't trade big for small, unless that big has a replacement or that small is a superstar. Our frontline is nothing if we lose Horford or Smith, and don't get a good big man in return.

Of course, during the season, Horford was a top 3 center that gave you solid production every night. We were already somewhat guard heavy with JJ and Jamal + Bibby and Teague if necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't do that deal either. Deron is a better player than Horford. That doesn't mean that the Hawks are better if you add Deron, but subtract Horford. We'd simply have one of the best backcourts in the league, but Smith would be our ONLY quality player on the frontline.

Giving extended minutes to guys like Zaza, Collins and Powell, doesn't help us, even if we had a Deron.

Superstar?

I will say that he is a premiere PG in this league. Prolly top 3 or 4 in a league full of strong PGs.

I can't believe he signed to play in Turkey???

Superstar?

I will say that he is a premiere PG in this league. Prolly top 3 or 4 in a league full of strong PGs.

I can't believe he signed to play in Turkey???

Part of his contract with the Turkish team is that he can leave as soon as the NBA season starts......IF it starts. February is about the earliest anyone has said the season might have a chance to begin so he probably wants to stay in shape just in case.

• Admin

I say no.

I rank only Chris Paul ahead of him....yes he is a superstar