• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are you satisfied with what the Hawks have done

Vol4ever

Are you happy with the offseason moves and direction of the team?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

What scares me is that Horford will most likely not want to come back since it is obvious the ownership doesn't care if he doesn't want to play C. Teague asked us NOT to sign him, which means next FA he will be gone (unless we build a winner). We can't get any real players to come here, what makes us think that will change anytime soon? The ownership is a joke to the rest of the NBA. Ferry is handcuffed. And let's all be really honest. We lost out on every major FA we pursued. We are stuck overpaying backups and hoping they can keep shooting well. This team needs new ownership, a better image, and a commitment to its current players they are getting better. With the signing of the Mexican guy today it pretty much means the Oden rumors of not considering the Hawks at all are true, and Nogieura won't be playing for us next season is also true. We have what 10 players under contract and half of them are PF...I just don't get it at all.

Still have three years of Horford. A lot can and will happen in three years.

• Premium Member

Now that I think I have some clue as to what he's trying to do, I'm moderately satisfied. Certainly, I'd hoped for some stronger talent based on how much cap room we had, but I agree that there's only so much that you can control and it really is a day-to-day chess game. This still could go a little north or south based on what he does or doesn't do to acquire a legitimate starter at either 2 or 3.

• Moderators

Top 5 elites? There are only 4: heat, nets, bulls, Indy

The Nets? They were supposed to be elite last year and were no better than the Hawks. No one knows if PP and Garnett will still be effective or even healthy when it counts.

• Moderators

This sums it up pretty good. When you look at what Ferry has done, there's really nothing to complain about. Honestly, the man has done his job.

Josh Smith - Evaluated him, shopped him, let him walk. A+

Jeff Teague - Matched him A+

Draft - Solid picks for where we were picking B+

Free agency - We cleared the cap space, pursued the max guys, had a chance. We brought back solid replacements for what we lost. B+

Snagged the hottest upcoming coaching name - A++

Realized that JJ was an issue and quickly jumped on that deal - A+

Swapped Marvin for Harris - B+

Danny Ferry has NOT done a bad job as a GM. Dude is really working his ass off and as a basketball fan, you really can't criticize the moves he's made. There's NOTHING wrong with what he's done.

With me, the problem is simply the philosophy. This is not how you build a contender. This is how contenders maintain contender status and how up and coming teams rise. This is how bottom feeders retool and prepare for that breakout season. As a team in the middle of the pack, this is how you STAY in the middle of the pack. People aren't going to see that for another 2 or 3 years. In the meantime...

The champs and strong contenders are going to maintain.

Fallen contenders will drop out of the picture completely.

Surprise teams will stumble upon something that works - and they will leapfrog/lap us.

We will stay in the middle.

I agree and I really don't understand the Ferry hate. He signs the top head coach candiate: "Aww shucks, we missed out on a coach with a big name! Get his things packed!"... He resigns Korver: "He overpaid! Fire Ferry now!"... He signs Millsap: "Millsap is redundant! Fire Ferry and mail him back to San Antonio!"... He lets Josh walk for nothing. "He should have pulled the Hawksquawk super move and signed and traded him for assets!"... He matches Teague: "He is only delaying the German Chocolate Shake and Bake cooking show! Why does Ferry get pleasure out of fans pain!" He dumps broken Zaza and Ivan: "F that bastard! Does Ferry not care about what the fans want?!? Why is Ferry still here Gearon Jr.?!?"

Just a bunch of impatient, uneducated fanatics who have no concept on how the NBA really works and how to be a GM in this league. Not saying I do, but I do trust that Ferry knows what he is doing and know that this process of making a contender will not happen overnight.

Proverbs 18:2:

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but only delight in airing their own opinions.

• Like 2

• Moderators

We signed Milsap, Korver, Brand, Teague, DMC and still aren't done. I"m excited our offseason is NOT one boring move and done. We got some guys here with ability and brains to play at a high level and we've got a baker's dozen of them young and old. In past seasons we were calling up aged guys who weren't that good in their prime just to get the required number of players.

• Like 2

Atlanta has location, what is lacks of passion for organization. No one cares except us.

No, I mean Ferry acts as if he doesn't understand where he is at and that we just don't get top tier free agents.

I'm happy because I haven't Posted Image once this Summer about the Hawks. I don't see a contract on the books that says Posted Image I don't see a player on the roster that saysPosted Image I don't believe I will look at the coaching this year and say Posted Image. An finally I'm not reading the media and visualizing Posted Image. So yes I'm happy.

• Like 4

It takes more than cap space to create a contender and the Hawks don't have the rest of that yet. So I think Ferry has done an admirable job. Ferry and Bud are going to do their best to create a winning environment without tanking for a small chance in the lottery. I can respect that.

• Moderators

We signed Milsap, Korver, Brand, Teague, DMC and still aren't done. I"m excited our offseason is NOT one boring move and done. We got some guys here with ability and brains to play at a high level and we've got a baker's dozen of them young and old. In past seasons we were calling up aged guys who weren't that good in their prime just to get the required number of players.

Seriously. I thinks fans were happier when our off-seasons included resigning the same talent, having dud drafts, and signing T-Mac and Stackhouse. During WLOC, fans had the assurance that we would win games and make the playoffs, but when people see change and they flip their wigs. Our biggest fear lies in anticipation and not knowing how this team would perform. Honestly, I don't care how this team performs because we are still in the early stages of a rebuild and next season is just another evaluation year. Ferry will be watching for numerous things:

- Is Teague growing as a player and is he apart of the future. Do we move forward with him or do we trade him and give keys to Schröder. Is Schröder ready for the keys.

- Does Horford/Millsap work. If not, it'll be Asik/Millsap or Noah/Horford going forth.

- Is Korver better at 2, 3, or coming off of the bench. What is his value at this point in his career.

- Where does Lou fit and what does he give the Hawks.

- What is going on with the rest of the league. Which "stars" are disgruntled and could become trade targets. Which teams are underachieving and are looking to tank for Wiggins and which ones are one player away from being legit contenders.

- What are the biggest needs for this team going into 2014. The draft and free agency is 5x deeper than 2013 was.

I'm expecting our contender team will start taking shape in about 3 more seasons. IFWT

Love the draft picks. Disappointed that we didn't go young and rebuild through the draft, though I like the roster for what it is. I would have prefer to start the rookies, go into next year's draft with a chance at a franchise player to go along with a developed PG in Dennis.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

What scares me is that Horford will most likely not want to come back since it is obvious the ownership doesn't care if he doesn't want to play C. Teague asked us NOT to sign him, which means next FA he will be gone (unless we build a winner). We can't get any real players to come here, what makes us think that will change anytime soon? The ownership is a joke to the rest of the NBA. Ferry is handcuffed. And let's all be really honest. We lost out on every major FA we pursued. We are stuck overpaying backups and hoping they can keep shooting well. This team needs new ownership, a better image, and a commitment to its current players they are getting better. With the signing of the Mexican guy today it pretty much means the Oden rumors of not considering the Hawks at all are true, and Nogieura won't be playing for us next season is also true. We have what 10 players under contract and half of them are PF...I just don't get it at all.

DO you really think Ferry is handcuffed.

• Moderators

I loved the draft but was disappointed by the rest of the offseason. The moves individually are not bad, but collectively feel like we are treading water on the court and sitting around hoping that a James Harden scenario happens (some team drafts so many stars and is in a small enough market that they aren't willing to for all of them so they put the one they want the least on the market and we pounce!), which doesn't excite me at all. I feel like we are taking mediocrity on the court and flexibility with our contracts over a chance to dip into a very talented top of the draft in 2014. I don't think our attractive individual pieces will attract a difference maker unless a team is in a fire sale situation and needs to dump salary for the best package of short contracts.

For last season, I like that approach (big FAs, bad top of the draft) while for the 2014 it is much less enticing (no big FAs, great top of the draft).

I am not calling for Ferry's head by any means because I think he deserves several years to make his vision happen so it is too early to judge his overall vision, but I am personally disappointed with where we are compared to where I hoped we would be at this point in the offseason.

• Like 3

I honestly do think he is. As long as this ownership is a joke in the NBA he is handcuffed by the reputation, lack of willingness to even think about the luxury tax, and uncertainty of the future of the ownership (remember this team WAS sold at one point recently).

We came into the offseason with 3 big holes at SG, SF and C, after all the FA are gone we remain the same, in my opinion we fail miserably. We had a good PG and a good PF, we signed another good PF, a backup shooter, a veteran big on his last years and a bunch of scrubs. Mayo, Reddick, Evans, Ellis, Dorrell Wright, Webster, Corey Brewer, Howard, Bynum, Dalembert... all are gone, we have no cap space and will not be on a position to win, I just don't get it.

On the draft I think we went with the best talent available on Schröder, I understand the move and also considered as the best talent available, great move but with the other pick I was hoping to draft Bullock but we went wit Bebe, I don't have anything in particular against him but Bullock filled a need and could provide instant help to the roster, as has been demonstrated on Summer league, Bebe is years away of contributing and could happen that he will never contribute, he is really raw.

On the second round after going with a Center on the first round we should have tried with a wing, I think Muscala is a good pick, with the other 2 picks we could have selected Ennis and DeShaun Thomas and try both on Summer league, at least we drafted Ennis but we traded inmediately for nothing, WHY? I still cannot understand it, Ennis has good size for SF, is good defensively, fills a need, I was really pissed when we traded him and demonstrated that I was right on the Summer league 12.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 0.9 APG, 1.4 SPG, 44% FG, 43% 3FG, 70% FT, 23.7 MPG. Good and bad things on draft day B- for me.

Edited by gurpilo

Yes and no.

Yes because:

Our best pick ups have been Coach Bud and Schro. A winning formula starts at the top AKA the big DF himself. He picks up a coach who he loves professionally (and perhaps personally ;]). Together they pick up a young, true court leader. Blah blah we all know this. These three individuals will be the ones in control of basically everything and they just ooze with potential.

No because:

Hawks fans by nature won't know what satisfaction is until we get off this treadmill.

I just want the season to start NOW.

To put it in context, we are the new Utath Jazz, Teague is better than Mo Williams, Horford is the same as Jefferson, we have Milsap and although they were bad on the wings we are even worst. There is no reason to think we are going to be better than that

• Like 1