• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Net Watch - Atlanta's Right To Swap 1st Round Picks With Brooklyn

coachx

I've been thinking about this a lot too with their start.Thing is, they've had a road heavy start with two of their three home games against Miami and Indiana. There is still too much talent here to miss the playoffs in the East when things start to even out. But their age and health could lead to a disastrous season in some scenarios. And although I believe the Russian would try to trade to avoid lottery, I'm not sure he has any assets left! So it's definitely plausible, if unlikely.Definitely something I'm rooting for and in the meantime, we can all fantasize about them winning the lottery and having to trade us the pick -- until it's no longer a reality. Fun.

Edited by MrNique
  • Like 1

What is more interesting to me is that we can swap picks with them NEXT year as well. After KG probably retires and they still have no cap room and Pierce/JJ is another year older.

So you're telling me we can get another lottery pick after we win the Finals with Wiggins next year? Ferry is the greatest!
  • Like 3

I am sorry if this has been answered already (Probably, several times!) but am I reading this right? The Hawks can swap their 2014 AND/OR 2015 1st round picks (And, they are NOT lottery protected?!) with the Nets if they (The Hawks) choose to? That seems way too good to be true but I hope it is! The Nets 1st Rounders for the next couple of seasons could be really valuable!

If true, this eliminates any tank talk, put that crap to bed. Make the playoffs as the 5th seed, scrap your way into the 2nd round and attract willing free agents, still get possible lottery picks in '14 and '15. If DF pulls this off, good LAWD.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Well damn. Everyone who can run a team better than Billy King, raise your hand. With the advent of all these analystics, superstar ransoms and such, the business of basketball is very muddled, and there are guys out there (the Grizzlies brass as an example) who are making grave mistakes, and Ferry is taking advantage of all of em. The Jazz and Nets been hit hard already. He's gonna burn somebody else before the deadline.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Gotta admit. It's fun to watch team basketball. Although devoid of a "superstar" (albeit perhaps Teague is getting there? Horford), the Hawks could have sustainable success within two years (and not that one and done nonsense that somehow gets identified as "winning"). Who woulda thunk it?

Man that would be the best. To get a lottery pick without actually being in the lottery. We need to pull hard for the Nets to tank. Unfortunately there is going to be too much tanking competition in the East. The nets have too much talent to be THAT bad.

rThe Nets may have the talent - but what use is all that talent if they can't stay on the floor.Tank, tank... That would be too sweet if we get a lottery pick from them!

• Moderators

Man that would be the best. To get a lottery pick without actually being in the lottery. We need to pull hard for the Nets to tank. Unfortunately there is going to be too much tanking competition in the East. The nets have too much talent to be THAT bad.

All they have to do is miss the playoffs and get lucky. In 2003, Memphis had the 6th worst record and ended up with the #2 pick.

• Like 1

Well damn. Everyone who can run a team better than Billy King, raise your hand. With the advent of all these analystics, superstar ransoms and such, the business of basketball is very muddled, and there are guys out there (the Grizzlies brass as an example) who are making grave mistakes, and Ferry is taking advantage of all of em. The Jazz and Nets been hit hard already. He's gonna burn somebody else before the deadline.

What was Memphis's grave mistake?

Guessing he meant trading Gay for Prince or maybe hiring Hollinger? I dunno I think those are both good moves but that's all I can think about in relation to the Grizz.

Those grave mistakes that sent out chuckers like Gay and Mayo that helped the Grizz make their 1st Conference Championship in franchise history.

• Moderators

Guessing he meant trading Gay for Prince or maybe hiring Hollinger? I dunno I think those are both good moves but that's all I can think about in relation to the Grizz.

My thought was the coaching change. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't see them as a disaster franchise in recent years, though.