• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Net Watch - Atlanta's Right To Swap 1st Round Picks With Brooklyn

coachx

My thought was the coaching change. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't see them as a disaster franchise in recent years, though.

Perhaps it was an over reaction to fire Lionel Hollins after being swept by the Spurs in the WCF. That must be what he is refering too.

Those grave mistakes that sent out chuckers like Gay and Mayo that helped the Grizz make their 1st Conference Championship in franchise history.

Gay I think was a good move but I'm not convinced letting Mayo go was a good move. I don't like him as a PG but I think he's a good player.

They had philosophical differences, Hollins is an old school coach who couldn't figure out any of the moves that the front office made especially the Gay trade. There just wasn't a way that he could see himself coaching a roster that was going to be governed more by analytics rather than his old fashioned common sense. There were even reports of him loudly arguing with management and then another situation directly with Hollinger himself during a practice. Apparently he got really miffed and felt that management was imposing on his job but that's the current NBA. You can't have a front office compiling all of this information on players and have it not be applicable by the coach. GM and coach have to be pretty seamless these days thus why you are seeing a lot of recent hirees all coming from the same background.

Step 1: Nets Go Down In Flames

Step 2: Hawks make their best post-season run since coming to Atlanta.

Step 3: Don't be the Pistons.

(They finished their NBA finals run with a similar bonus pick from the Grizzlies in a similarly stacked draft and then took Darko over Carmelo, Bosh and Wade.)

I'm confused. Darko was on the team when they made their finals runs. They won in 04 over LA and lost in 05 to SA. Darko was drafted in 03

Yeah, I was referring to letting Hollins go, but signing Mike Miller also was a head scratcher. I'm indifferent to Gay, like a majority of NBA fans I guess. Hollins made them a defensive juggernaut that overachieved by 2 playoff rounds. I know the Spurs sweep was ugly, but I don't know how you get rid of a well-respected guy who squeezed everything out of a roster with an awful bench and awful 3 point shooting. Then to replace him with someone already on the staff? They aren't setting the league on fire at 5-5 with 2 losses on deck versus the Clippers and Warriors. Everyones numbers look down except Conley's scoring. They're rebounding poorly with two rugged frontcourt guys and above average rebounding guards. I'm guessing they changed things up to score more points than they did last year. They're 24th.

Edited by benhillboy

Ah, gotcha on Hollins. That makes sense, although I don't think it was a killer move it is certainly a move that one could claim Memphis blew. Totally disagree on Mike Miller since he is a minimum salaried player.

As much as I don't like John Hollinger and his PER, he hasn't done too bad.

• Moderators

I'm confused. Darko was on the team when they made their finals runs. They won in 04 over LA and lost in 05 to SA. Darko was drafted in 03

Sorry - Eastern Conference Finals then they drafted Darko.

If we could get to the ECF and then pick up a lottery pick from the Nets, I would call that a best case scenario as long as we don't go Darko with our pick.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Posted Image

We could have two potential lottery picks if this thing collapses (or one if they make the playoffs this year and lose, KG, PP retires and they lose out the next).

The best part is that if it all goes south and we end up with a lottery pick this year, our success this season will breed greater success for us in the future by making the Nets worse (the better we do, the worse our pick is, the worse the Nets are for the future...)

• Like 1

Its a LONG season ahead.

The Nets have a lot of talent and the East is pretty weak and if they get their chemistry and injury issues behind them they should be able to make the playoffs

True enough. Like I said, next year is where it's more interesting to me. Some of these young teams will hopefully pull ahead of a Nets squad without KG (retirement) and possibly without Pierce (UFA).

I wouldn't be surprised for us to move up into the 15-18 range with their pick though. It's not Wiggins, but it's something.

People swore there was no way the Lakers missed the playoffs with Kobe,Nash,Pau, and Dwight. This Nets team is even more injury prone. There only saving grace may be how weak the East is looking but you have to think that some of the teams will make trades to get better.

Miami

Indiana

Chicago

Atlanta

Then its open, but the Nets have already shot there load. I think there are going to be some big trades this year. Teams will not be trading lottery picks other than that watch out

• Admin

Wow this is great, Brooklyn is likely a playoff team and I think they are better talent wise than us but then again, Washington has more talent than us and they suck.

Washington has ALWAYS had the problem of chemistry....these last few years...no matter how much talent you throw at them the team doesn't work well together. I am starting to think maybe Wall is the problem

well now they are 3-7. They should of been 2-8 if JJ didnt hit that game winner. I think we should sticky this thread and call it the Nets lottery pick watch or something like that.

After seeing they blew their lead and lost to Portland I came here to ask Dolf if we could do just that.What do you say, Dolfan? I know HomeCourt is usually for Hawks threads only but could Nets Watch get stickied here? Seems particularly relevant to ALL of us this season, not just the JJ haters.
  • Like 1

After seeing they blew their lead and lost to Portland I came here to ask Dolf if we could do just that.What do you say, Dolfan? I know HomeCourt is usually for Hawks threads only but could Nets Watch get stickied here? Seems particularly relevant to ALL of us this season, not just the JJ haters.

It's a little early for that....lets wait until the 1/4 point of the season to see it realistically. (around game 21).