• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

I've been thinking that Danny might have a spot on Inside the NBA if this GM thing falls through. He's liked by Shaq and Chuck, he says just as inflammatory things as the rest of them, and hell Gearon found him funny.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  Danny might kill on the comedy circuit too.  As you said, Gearon and his cronies were clearly laughing (i.e. not in an offended way) IMHO.

• Moderators

This thing is soo screwed up.   I do think Ferry will have to go because a lot of players will remember this and it will hurt the team.   But man I don't know if this really reveals anything  racist about Danny Ferry.   And when I say I don't know i mean I really don't.   'He's got a little African in him' is a really really strange and offensive thing to say.   But had he not prefaced it with that comment then the rest is really just saying negative things about Deng which might or might not be true.   It's really puzzling but if there is nothing else about Danny Ferry that points to him holding racist views of Africans or African Americans then it seems hard to burn him at the stake for this one horrible comment when the only reason anyone ever heard it is because there is an owner out to get him.  

Like I said I don't know but I don't want this cloud hanging over our heads all season and beyond.   Bring on Nique, bring in someone to gm who understands what Bud is all about and we should be ok.

• Premium Member

I believe the Sterling group had something to do with this.  In the end he is going to expose the entire NBA on Commissioner Silver's hypocrisy in his case.  While Silver is right about Sterling the problem is he singled him out while the majority of teams and players are guilty of similar behavior.  

It will come out.

• Moderators

Bottom line; what they did (do) is employment discrimination and illegal. No GM will excel if hands are tied. Clean house, bring in good, smart people and play ball to win.

Which thing are you talking about that is illegal?  I'm not sure I get there on Ferry's comments.  He ended up offering Deng a contract that was identical to what the guy signed in Miami so I don't think that translated into negative action on the guy as far as terms or conditions in an offer of employment.  Ferry's comments were not alleged by anyone to create a pervasive hostile work environment (and, in fact, were not shared beyond a meeting of the owners).  I am not sure there is anything actionable here or any real damage suffered by Deng.

Now the statement was stupid and offensive.  But generally comments like that are then used to support a claim for some tangible employment action like denying someone a job, a promotion, a raise, etc. since one element of a legal claim for employment discrimination is that the person be damaged.  Hostile work environments are something the employee is subjected to and generally it is not sufficient to point to a single comment.  So I am not sure this amounts to anything actionable based on what we know today.

Which thing are you talking about that is illegal?  I'm not sure I get there on Ferry's comments.  He ended up offering Deng a contract that was identical to what the guy signed in Miami so I don't think that translated into negative action on the guy as far as terms or conditions in an offer of employment.  Ferry's comments were not alleged by anyone to create a pervasive hostile work environment (and, in fact, were not shared beyond a meeting of the owners).  I am not sure there is anything actionable here or any real damage suffered by Deng.

Now the statement was stupid and offensive.  But generally comments like that are then used to support a claim for some tangible employment action like denying someone a job, a promotion, a raise, etc. since one element of a legal claim for employment discrimination is that the person be damaged.  Hostile work environments are something the employee is subjected to and generally it is not sufficient to point to a single comment.  So I am not sure this amounts to anything actionable based on what we know today.

Agree for the most part.  The comments really are only actionable against Ferry which is kinda ironic.

Now, if they're excluding certain guys based on stereotypes, nationality, race, etc. then @tbhawksfan may have a point.  They love to throw around the "system" and "fit" commentary when it comes to which guys they draft and go after in free agency.  That becomes a little dicey now that the impression is out there that they foster an arguably bigoted environment behind closed doors.  What's a "fit" if you consider all Africans shady character-wise?

Again, I don't think they're racist, I'm just saying the perception is out there and they've provided ammo for folks to claim that they are indeed racist.

• Moderators

Agree for the most part.  The comments really are only actionable against Ferry which is kinda ironic.

Now, if they're excluding certain guys based on stereotypes, nationality, race, etc. then @tbhawksfan may have a point.  They love to throw around the "system" and "fit" commentary when it comes to which guys they draft and go after in free agency.  That becomes a little dicey now that the impression is out there that they foster an arguably bigoted environment behind closed doors.  What's a "fit" if you consider all Africans shady character-wise?

Again, I don't think they're racist, I'm just saying the perception is out there and they've provided ammo for folks to claim that they are indeed racist.

If definitely provides ammo for the claim, but with our history of first round draft picks, the race of the individuals who have gotten our big free agent dollars, and the contract that was offered to Deng, it makes an actual legal claim harder.  That doesn't impact the court of public opinion, however.

If definitely provides ammo for the claim, but with our history of first round draft picks, the race of the individuals who have gotten our big free agent dollars, and the contract that was offered to Deng, it makes an actual legal claim harder.  That doesn't impact the court of public opinion, however.

Yeah.  Like you mention, it appears that no one's been costed a spot in the league or really lost money.  I think if Ivan brought a case it would be interesting though.

At the same time, it illustrates why Ferry can't remain here.  Most all players of note have options so this scandal can have a significant impact on the franchise if the court of public opinion continues to paint him in a poor light.

Yeah.  Like you mention, it appears that no one's been costed a spot in the league or really lost money.  I think if Ivan brought a case it would be interesting though.

At the same time, it illustrates why Ferry can't remain here.  Most all players of note have options so this scandal can have a significant impact on the franchise if the court of public opinion continues to paint him in a poor light.

Barkley said yesterday that it wouldn't matter to players. I'm pretty sure he's right about that.

Barkley said yesterday that it wouldn't matter to players. I'm pretty sure he's right about that.

That sentiment was correct regarding Clippers players too until Sterling's leanings were thrown in everyone's face.  Yet they were facing pressure to "never play for him again".  Now again, I'm not saying this is the same situation in reality, I'm saying it's similar in perception.

That sentiment was correct regarding Clippers players too until Sterling's leanings were thrown in everyone's face.  Yet they were facing pressure to "never play for him again".  Now again, I'm not saying this is the same situation in reality, I'm saying it's similar in perception.

Vastly different situation. Sterling is an unapologetic racist. The same cannot be said for Ferry. 

If we were a different organization with a track record of non-dysfunctionality then i'd take that chance.    

Not that he's a prime example, but I'm quite confident that EB wouldn't have signed here if this was that big of a deal to him or to players. Or we'd have heard some player on the team come out and say something publicly, even if it meant getting his hand smacked.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not that he's a prime example, but I'm quite confident that EB wouldn't have signed here if this was that big of a deal to him or to players. Or we'd have heard some player on the team come out and say something publicly, even if it meant getting his hand smacked.

I'd agree and maybe this will blow over but even if the players don't care (which I've got to think a certain percentage do), it's going to dog the franchise for a while until there is new leadership.    If someone like Nique comes in and backs Ferry then I think we'd be fine.   If we're pushing forward with Gearon and Ferry 'working together' then wtf?

I'd agree and maybe this will blow over but even if the players don't care (which I've got to think a certain percentage do), it's going to dog the franchise for a while until there is new leadership.    If someone like Nique comes in and backs Ferry then I think we'd be fine.   If we're pushing forward with Gearon and Ferry 'working together' then wtf?

If it means the entire ASG being gone then I'd be fine moving on without Ferry. I just hate the thought of what kind of GM we'd likely have to be stuck with after this mess. My hope at this point is that we're a feel good story that will attract a new billionare owner and a highly regarded young exec to try and clean this thing up. I mean we are in great shape as a team on the court and on the books so that's gotta be attractive, right? 

• Moderators

Nique spiques again!

Nique took a quick afternoon slimber... here's his last tweet!

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Brucie Bruce has something to say, to! Here's a shout-out to both his supporters, via C-Viv:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/levenson-responds-to-supporters-with-email/nhLjn/

What do Kareem, Whitlock, Don Lemon, and Fox News Latino have in common? Click to find out!

~lw3

• Moderators

Levenson issues letter to supporters:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks controlling owner Bruce Levenson sent emails to supporters who have reached out to him during the recent controversy that has led him to sell his share of the team. Levenson made his announcement Sunday after an inflammatory email he sent to general manager Danny Ferry was discovered in an internal investigation.

In an email obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Levenson writes:

Friends,

I am sending this email to the 2,478 people who sent me kind emails in the past week. I also got hundreds of texts, written notes and phone calls. I tried to respond to each of you but may have missed a couple. Please know your kind words and stories were powerful ointment for me and my family. While my kids and Karen have held my hand, you have held my heart. Many of you are friends, and many others are co-workers, business associates, basketball players, coaches, team owners, clergy, and complete strangers. Men signed notes “love” and many of you have kept checking back.

Earlier this summer I attended a lecture where the speaker was trying to make the point that the opposite of love is judgment. I didn’t quite get it but I do now.

I returned to the office for the first time today. I will be ok. You have been wonderful. I am forever indebted.

Love,

Bruce

PS – Many of you asked questions like “what’s really going on here.” I have stayed silent but in the past couple of days many articles have appeared that shed some light on your questions and frankly bring me some comfort in the aftermath of articles the first day or two. Below are links to a few.

http://time.com/3296175/bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks-racist-email-kareem-abdul-jabbar/

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11493472/jason-whitlock-bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks

http://blackamericaweb.com/2014/09/09/don-lemon-says-bruce-levenson-of-the-atlanta-hawks-is-not-a-racist/

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/opinion/2014/09/10/rick-sanchez-hawks-owner-isnt-problem-are/

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/bruce_levenson_dives_down_the_slippery_slope/17256854?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2014/09/11/poor-bruce-levensonthe-new-york-times-piles-on?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/levenson-responds-to-supporters-with-email/nhLjn/

http://blackamericaweb.com/2014/09/09/don-lemon-says-bruce-levenson-of-the-atlanta-hawks-is-not-a-racist/

If you want proof the racism and bigotry aren't reserved to white males, checkout the comments under this.  It seems the appropriate way Danny should of phrased his report is.......we all have a little hate in us.         

• Like 1