Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

• Moderators

And there we go...

The ice is thawing!

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm liking the direction this is moving.

Q. What is your reaction to everything that has happened?

A. My thoughts are, when I got traded to the Hawks, I didn’t want to come here because all I knew was what I had heard, about bad culture and no fans and no excitement in the city. So I didn’t want to come to Atlanta. At all. I was bummed to leave Chicago. But by the next summer, I chose to re-sign and come back to Atlanta. After a year of watching what Danny (Ferry) was doing and the people he was bringing in. Everything I saw, was so attractive to me and I really believed in it. I believed that he was going to turn things around. I saw that Atlanta was an incredible city, and that there was so much potential here to both raise my family and help build a great basketball culture. I had some opportunities to go to places that were already established and played really good basketball but I wanted to come back here and be a part of building this. I think in all this, I’m hopeful that when the dust settles, it keeps on going. I really do believe in what has gone on in the two years that I have been here. I think anyone who knows the game and has watched the transformation would agree with me. But it’s just sad what’s all going on. That all this has happened has really bummed me out.

Q. You were teammates with Luol Deng. Would you care to comment about what was said about him? Have you reached out to him?

A. Yeah we did speak. Luol is such a good guy. And he’s been through so much in life that I don’t really think this has really even phased him. He told me that he didn’t think that Danny or anyone with the Hawks was racist. He said he was shocked when he heard what was said, but that sometimes things just slip out. It was pretty amazing, really. He just wants everything to move on. He wants to get back to basketball.

~lw3

• Like 1

Kinda what @JayBirdHawk has been asking for for a while now. Hearing from a Hawks player and more importantly with info from Deng.

So Deng is cool, but will our fans here on Hawksquawk who are far more butthurt than Deng be able to forgive him?

It won't matter or make a difference to those who have wanted Ferry gone since he got here.

The Zach guy from WSBTV was just on 92.9 The game - said he spoke with at least a dozen agents about coming to Atl if they are free agents: said all said they would - it's about MONEY and TIME.

• Moderators

Kinda what @JayBirdHawk has been asking for for a while now. Hearing from a Hawks player and more importantly with info from Deng. 

So Deng is cool, but will our fans here on Hawksquawk who are far more butthurt than Deng be able to forgive him? 

As just one member of the Butthurt Brigade, I'm happy to wait-and-see with Ferry, especially with Bud running the show in the interim. In my view, Ferry's Folly was just the rotten cherry on the crap sundae that Levenson and Gearon put together during The Summer of Their Discontent.

Ferry was foolish enough to find the most insensitive elements of a colleague's critique and hastily shared it in a professional setting. Because the professionals he answers to are incompetent VIPERs, though, rather than being immediately reprimanded, he became unwittingly and unfairly scapegoated in a power play as the VIPERs attempted to swallow each other whole. In the process, Ferry got mud-slung almost as badly as Deng, but not nearly as much as the citizens of Metro Atlanta, the people that make up the lion's share of the ticket base, by carpetbagger Levenson.

Ferry will do as he promises, immersing himself with community leaders and expanding his horizons a touch. And if an owner not named Gearon is running the show when he returns, he'll have a chance to show everyone how enlightened he is, right on time for Free Agency 2015. Taking up a skim-reading class wouldn't hurt, either.

And now, we turn our attention to Adreian Peterson's kid, who is legitimately butthurt.

~lw3

• Like 1

As just one member of the Butthurt Brigade, I'm happy to wait-and-see with Ferry, especially with Bud running the show in the interim. In my view, Ferry's Folly was just the rotten cherry on the crap sundae that Levenson and Gearon put together during The Summer of Their Discontent.

Ferry was foolish enough to find the most insensitive elements of a colleague's critique and hastily shared it in a professional setting. Because the professionals he answers to are incompetent VIPERs, though, rather than being immediately reprimanded, he became unwittingly and unfairly scapegoated in a power play as the VIPERs attempted to swallow each other whole. In the process, Ferry got mud-slung almost as badly as Deng, but not nearly as much as the citizens of Metro Atlanta, the people that make up the lion's share of the ticket base, by carpetbagger Levenson.

Ferry will do as he promises, immersing himself with community leaders and expanding his horizons a touch. And if an owner not named Gearon is running the show when he returns, he'll have a chance to show everyone how enlightened he is, right on time for Free Agency 2015. Taking up a skim-reading class wouldn't hurt, either.

And now, we turn our attention to Adreian Peterson's kid, who is legitimately butthurt.

~lw3

You were not who I was referring to as one of the butthurt people. I'm talking about the people who had their pitchforks and torches out and refused to listen to any possible reasoning behind this whole thing. Ahem (ironically) viperxxx... 

I certainly don't mean to belittle what was sad or make it sound like I'm cool with it. Ferry absolutely did a bad thing reading what he he read. But it makes me feel a lot less concerned that these weren't his words and that we don't have a grand dragon (or is it wizard?) of the KKK running the show as someone on here ridiculously commented. 

• Like 1

~lw3

Agree with all this.  I make no bones about my dislike of Ferry but have no issue with a wait-and-see deal while Budz gets his FO feet wet.  Ferry was a pawn in a bigger (pettier) game and didn't recognize it soon enough.  Reading his statement is what really helped the way I viewed things (for some reason), so I guess as a fan (as if it matters) I can forgive him.

I still want him gone though.  That's not gonna change.

Let see, I was one of those guys that was leaning to fire Ferry but we cant assume anything unless we get the facts and it is wasnt for Viv=Bomb and Klein, when we will still be screaming for Ferry firing.

In the meantime, the greatest issues is getting a singluar owner or a better group that will keep the Hawks here in Atlanta, not in Seattle, not in Las Vegas or Tokyo and willing to understand this fanbase and want to have a championships not bottom line.

We must put all of attention upon the ASG and get rid of them. 

Agree with all this.  I make no bones about my dislike of Ferry but have no issue with a wait-and-see deal while Budz gets his FO feet wet.  Ferry was a pawn in a bigger (pettier) game and didn't recognize it soon enough.  Reading his statement is what really helped the way I viewed things (for some reason), so I guess as a fan (as if it matters) I can forgive him.

Ferry will be back long before any real FO decisions need to be made. 

~lw3

I agree on both fronts.  To add my issue is as it always is, don't make me fill in the blanks.  Had they been proactive and gone transparent about this I think most people could forgive.  The last piece of the puzzle is to get that donation out there, see some meaningful contrition in action, and see something symbolic like a drop in title or loss of some of his responsibilities.  

Go BUD!

I agree on both fronts.  To add my issue is as it always is, don't make me fill in the blanks.  Had they been proactive and gone transparent about this I think most people could forgive.  The last piece of the puzzle is to get that donation out there, see some meaningful contrition in action, and see something symbolic like a drop in title or loss of some of his responsibilities.  

Go BUD!

So you still want to continue the witch hunt and burning (or perhaps just sizzling) at the stake then. Got it. 

So you still want to continue the witch hunt and burning (or perhaps just sizzling) at the stake then. Got it. 

So you think he shouldn't have pay any price for this? Okay.   That is the least any corporate head would face in a similar instance.  That is not a witch hunt.  He did this to himself.  

• Like 1

So you think he shouldn't have pay any price for this? Okay.   That is the least any corporate head would face in a similar instance.  That is not a witch hunt.  He did this to himself.  

Did I say that? 

And how do you know that's what would happen anywhere else? 

And how do you know what punishment he received? 

I'm more than happy with whatever Koonin decides is fitting of this and I highly doubt it means a reduction in his position within the company, which is just ridiculous to think would happen to an NBA GM. If he were going to have his position reduced, they'd just let him go or he'd quit. 

I still think it goes back to speaking to Ferry's incompetence.  Just because you have this intel doesn't mean it's relative enough to say aloud unless you feel like it is.  Why not proof read this ignorant statement and just pass through it?  You either read it because you'll read anything put in front of you or you thought it had some kind of relevance to the situation.

He'll probably keep his job and we get to hop back on the treadmill but I don't see how you can be comfortable with someone like that running the show.  Why would any of this coupled with his lack of success as a GM and the Nique statue stuff sure make me want to jump back on his bandwagon?  Sorry if I'm not thrilled with the direction of the team.  Everyone in charge makes me ill...No really I'm in the hospital even as we speak, for other things...Maybe.  I enjoy Bud but I'm not sure if we can get him the talent to do anything significant with the clowns in charge.

Did I say that?

And how do you know that's what would happen anywhere else?

And how do you know what punishment he received?

I'm more than happy with whatever Koonin decides is fitting of this and I highly doubt it means a reduction in his position within the company, which is just ridiculous to think would happen to an NBA GM. If he were going to have his position reduced, they'd just let him go or he'd quit.

He is President of basketball operations and GM. He could easily be made VP and keep his GM title. Look I get it. You're a Ferry fan. I was too until this happened. Check my posting history. I'm disappointed with him now. Sorry if that makes me a bad guy.

• Like 1