• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yall Killing Me

benhillboy

Nice post!  I would like to add a big that is good at rebounding and defense.  Chandler would be awesome, but he isn't going anywhere.  Really don't know who is available or could pick up.  I guess we will see as we get closer to the trade deadline to see what presents itself.

You are experiencing a high and will see the true value of having a superstar (someone who can close games) on your team when games become slower paced in April. This isn't an ultimate team sport like football, having one superstar on a squad has a large impact on teams. Look at the Heat without LeBron this year. Horf is the biggest star we have but I doubt it's enough to come out of the East.

I think having superstar that can fit the system Bud runs is the important factor.  i agree in slow pace games in the playoffs or close games in the 4th its nice to know you have a guy that can get to the line or score a tough bucket (Watching the Mavs and Clips game the last two nights that ball seemed to be sticking in the 4th while we struggled to score at times, where a scorer could help bail them out at these moments).  But to get a superstar that doesn't fit would be disaster to the team and chemistry.  Basically if we get a superstar we need a selfless superstar that would fit in with our group.  If we don't have one thats fine as well, this team will surprise you and might overcome that as well.  Even the Spurs at end of games they clear out for Manu/Parker or throw it down to Duncan.  So they don't necessarily just fall into the system at the end of games.

• Premium Member

Unfortunately Carmine is right.  The NORM has been that in order to win in the playoffs, you need that guy who can carry the team through a 4-5 minute span.

I like our idea of ball movement.  I like seeing that we exploit weaknesses in the defense.  This reminds me so much of those Lenny Wilkens teams that would do the same.  However, when the playoffs would come, I remember, the problem wasn't defense and the problem wasn't rebounding.  The problem really came down to getting a needed bucket in a halfcourt set.  We looked over and there was no Nique who could get the ball and either get you a two or a trip to the line.  I'm hoping that we don't have that situation later in the season and into the playoffs.

• Like 2

You are experiencing a high and will see the true value of having a superstar (someone who can close games) on your team when games become slower paced in April. This isn't an ultimate team sport like football, having one superstar on a squad has a large impact on teams. Look at the Heat without LeBron this year. Horf is the biggest star we have but I doubt it's enough to come out of the East.

I think this is mostly due to unbalanced officiating towards stars. I don't think there is anything innate about basketball that makes a stars impact greater than football's. I believe in football they let them settle it on the field down the stretch and tend to swallow whistles.

They used to do that I'm the NBA. The game was more physical guys had to make shots down the stretch and didn't play for the foul; a much more enjoyable game in my opinion. Which is why I have infinite more respect for Jordan, Magic, and Bird than today's superstars.

With all that being said if we go in as a one or two seed I think we will get our calls.

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I think there is a distinction between the folks who want "a star" and those who love the team concept but just desire having a reliable option who can help create scoring opportunities when needed most. Red dog in another post mentioned manu and billion who I think are great examples of guys who are team oriented but just had an ability to "make something happen" during a scoring drought or at crucial points in games for the team without going the ISO route.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This.

And not calling Tim Duncan a superstar is just...no words. Yeah, he's a superstar. And in the playoffs you aren't winning a title without one. Only two teams in the history of the NBA have ever won a title without one. I wasn't a math major but I'd say the odds pretty much say if you want to win a title then you need one.

• Like 3

This.

And not calling Tim Duncan a superstar is just...no words. Yeah, he's a superstar. And in the playoffs you aren't winning a title without one. Only two teams in the history of the NBA have ever won a title without one. I wasn't a math major but I'd say the odds pretty much say if you want to win a title then you need one.

Only two teams???

The Pistons and who else???

The only other team I can think of who won it all without a superstar player are the Supersonics back in the late-'70s. That is it, folks. So the odds are likely to continue that way. And yeah, to say that Duncan isn't really a superstar is like saying that a Ferrari isn't really a sports car.

While I'm no longer advocating Carmelo coming to town as I did earlier this summer, I do see the need to have a 'closer' for the slower tempo, halfcourt games we are likely to see this coming spring. Someone who can breakdown a defense one-on-one, get to the line (and make free throws), and a selfless player. Not too many of them grow on trees, though so who that person is, I have no clue....

• Like 1

I do not think we need a Superstar, over the past week I spent a lot of time watching other teams play and I can say that we look better than pretty much all of them because they all depend on these "STAR" players who are supposed be Gods gift but most of the time look pretty mediocre until the whistle starts blowing or they get hot. Im so happy we dont have any of that here and we play as a team and plah the game the right way. We have 2 All-Stars on this roster, a borderline All-Star and an Elite Shooter. We have talent and can put points up on anyone. I love this team and how we play most importantly how we compete.

• Like 1

This.

I'm not sure what people are missing with this.  History tells us you need a top line player to get you over the hump.

To think otherwise is some kind of weird confirmation bias.

• Premium Member

What has happened in the past is no indicator of what will happen in the future. The NBA is changing, evolving. Anything can happen and the focus should be on making the TEAM the best that we can possibly make it, and NOT on tanking or trading away assets for ball hogs, because A) Superstars won't come here via FA B) The draft is a complete crapshoot regardless of record C) that style of play is quickly showing to become obsolete at winning championships. Tim Duncan may have been a superstar in his prime, but he isn't anymore, the difference between him and Horford/Millsap is not as large as some of you make it out to be. Anyway who was the MVP of the finals last year? Was it "superstar" Duncan? superstar Lebron? superstar Wade? Bosh? Nope, it was Kawhi "may never make an all star team in his entire career" Leonard. The Spurs without a clear MVP type player in their entire roster last year completely dsimantled a team composed of the MVP (and top 5 player all time), and two perennial All Stars. In fact they would have beat them twice in two years if it weren't for a miracle shot by Ray Allen.

Edited by Atlantaholic