• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Danny Ferry mega thread

• Moderators

I will lose any faith in this new ownership if they don't bring Ferry back.

My gut is telling me if it was going to happen it already would have happened.  :(

Since the Maria Saporta spin piece on Gearon and Ferry i've realized that the local ties around Gearon are really strong and powerful. So there is a whole community of people from Atlanta who are only casually Hawks fans but think that Gearon is a saint and Ferry is a scumbag. And they think this because they have childhood, school, social or business ties to the Gearon family.

I want Ferry back but here we sit 10 years later and Belkins gone, levenson's gone, Ferry's probably gone but Gearon remains. I guess the dude should go on survivor.

Gearon's like a cockroach - just won't die.

Hawks’ most likely scenario: Danny Ferry’s resignation
 June 5, 2015 | Filed in: AJC Sports, Atlanta Hawks / NBA.
    COMMENTS 128
Danny Ferry hired Mike Budenholzer two years ago but Ferry's exit could lead to more power for the coach. (Jason Getz, AJC)
Danny Ferry hired Mike Budenholzer two years ago but Ferry’s exit could lead to more power for the coach. (Jason Getz, AJC)
The Hawks are nearing a sale and it follows that the Danny Ferry situation is likely nearly a resolution.

As Chris Vivlamore reported late Thursday, the sale of the Hawks (and Philips Arena operating rights) to Tony Ressler and partners is scheduled to be completed on June 24, the day before the NBA draft. In situations like this, new ownership generally would rather not have to deal with answering questions at the introductory news conference about sticky situations like Ferry’s status.

There has been a belief within the Hawks’ organization for several months that the team’s general manager is not going to be brought back. The thinking is that coach Mike Budenholzer (expected to get a new contract with a raise and more autonomy) and assistant general manager Wes Wilcox likely will be at the top of the basketball operations department, at least for the next year.

At this point, there are three scenarios for Ferry, but only two plausible ones:

• Ferry resigns: This is the favorite. It could happen any day. The Hawks likely would agree to pay off the balance of Ferry’s contract and it would allow him to make an exit statement along the lines of, “I’m proud of the work I did here but I feel it’s the best for all parties to move on.”

• Ferry is fired: It doesn’t serve anybody to have this thing end ugly, least of all Ferry, who wants to get another job (and will). But he has been resistant to leaving, loves living in Atlanta and it may come to this.

• Ferry is kept: Think “PowerBall” odds.

Once more, with feeling: This isn’t about whether you believe Ferry has served his penance. It’s about the belief within the Hawks’ organization that they now have a successful and stable structure in place and they can operate fine without him, pending an addition or tweak in the front office down the line. If you put a 1,000 people in a room and 950 say Ferry should be brought back but 50 scream, “Racist!” — whether that’s accurate or not — is that something a new owner wants to deal with?

It’s business. The next move is up to Ferry.

• Moderators

While I personally preferred to see some Sense of UrgencyTM in getting the ownership in place by now so we could have an official GM in place in advance of the draft and free agency, I do somewhat understand the "strategery."

World Wide Wes Wilcox has been the point person for scouting and draft-related decisions all season, and it would be Hawkward to have Ferry or ((gulp)) somebody else handpicked by the new owners swoop in the week before the draft bringing wildly diverging viewpoints to the table. Of course, we did something like this in June 2012 with Sund, but that was like replacing a boiled potato, and his contract was expiring anyway.

As for free agency pursuits, if you're Caucasiastically-challenged, and not a Dookie alum or somebody with clear Ferry ties (sup, Danny Green?), you're not exactly looking forward to answering the door at 12:01 AM on July 1 and finding Ferry standing there with a dozen roses or whatever. What you wouldn't mind at all is the reigning NBA Coach of the Year hoisting a boombox over his head outside your window.

With or without Ferry on the "burner phone" (hat tip to @JayBirdHawk, I hope that's the case) the Hawks may just allow Budcox to serve as the face for the FA negotiating period right up until July 9th, before announcing their formal decision about the old/new GM.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

I like Schultz alright but this is horribly written.   So most likely he resigns, except he's reluctant to because he doesn't want to leave, so the new owners will maybe have to fire him, but the next move is "up to Ferry'????????

• Like 1

Looking at the Finals Media Day, and the reporter Jared Greenburg is claiming that the AJC says that both Ferry and the new ownership have agreed to part ways. Hope this isn't true.

Edited by ATLHawks3

I really appreciate what he's done here, best wishes. He's a champion of the Spur-Styled Balanced Team Builidng that will likely leave Lebron and his Max/ Big 3 Model with a very indictable 2-4 Finals record. When we meet GS in the Finals it finally will be the popular trend of GMs and superstars alike to spread payroll across the roster for injury insurance and gameplan variety.

Maybe we just need a relay man with a different running style to receive the bar from Ferry and carry it a little further to the gold like Jackson to Kerr.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

I will lose any faith in this new ownership if they don't bring Ferry back.

I want Ferry back too but keep in mind he might want a fresh start and we wind up with a mutual parting of ways.

He taught Wes a lot and hired Coach Bud. He did is good job but in his position, what he said is not acceptable. Like I said before, just imagine if he said this about Jews. He has a little Jewish in him, you guys would be all understanding of him resigning or getting fired but because this is an African which most of you don't care about, you want to bring him back. 

No, he needs to go. I don't think he will ever be a GM again. He's gonna take years before he can get back to this point like Coach Snyder did after he was fired from Missouri. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

He taught Wes a lot and hired Coach Bud. He did is good job but in his position, what he said is not acceptable. Like I said before, just imagine if he said this about Jews. He has a little Jewish in him, you guys would be all understanding of him resigning or getting fired but because this is an African which most of you don't care about, you want to bring him back. 

No, he needs to go. I don't think he will ever be a GM again. He's gonna take years before he can get back to this point like Coach Snyder did after he was fired from Missouri. 

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.  Point blank period.

• Moderators

I love you Supes but you have blown back and forth on whether to bring Ferry back more often than Larry Brown jumped coaching jobs.

• Like 1