• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game 1 thoughts

Alex

• Premium Member

An argument can be made that Hawks fans should be thanking Johnson. Besides getting a 2013 first-round pick, a condition of the trade that sent him to the Nets allowed Atlanta to swap first-round picks with the Nets this season, meaning the Hawks will select 15th rather than 29th. The trade exception they received helped them land Kyle Korver. If that's not enough, the Hawks also have the Nets' 2017 second-round pick. That certainly sounds like something worth cheering about, but there's a slim chance Johnson will hear any of that on the road in this series.

After reading these posts, I believe that many think that the Hawks were lucky

to win the first game in the series.  That Joe J. will not always miss all those

three point shots and that the Nets will out rebound us so much that they will

win the next four.

Really?  Millsap had a terrible game, but only in his shooting.  Everything else

seemed fine.  His defense, his rebounding and his assists seemed fine.

Horford's finger will be sore but should be all right otherwise.

Korver.  Wow!  What else can we say.

DMC was his usual great self and out P.G. combination was a little off at times

but for the most part did their thing.

Where was Moose?  Saving him until later, I suppose. 

GO TEAM ATL !

P.S. The Braves won !

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

That is the thing some don't get.  Even Teague said as much.  That was not championship ball yesterday especially considering the Hawks are a #1 playing a #8.  They better play more fluid on offense or this dream season will come an ugly end soon.

Yes.  This is about looking forward and for me, I'm looking way past the Nets and I'm not so much worried about the boxscore or really how much trouble we have with them.  My concern, as it has been all year, is our ability to stay focused and execute.  Don't get me wrong, we have PLENTY of guys capable of making big shots, but we don't have a guy that can really bail us out.  We're going to need some cushion in the playoffs and if they play like that against teams that have no trouble scoring...?  Then we're DONE. 

I have to say I really hated all the Joe booing. He has been a good Hawk for many years (probably one of the best ever, sad to say). Sure he was overpaid but what was he supposed to do, say no to money? I think this makes our fan base look bad.

Oh man, I was going to post on that as well...but it got too long and I deleted it lol.  I liked Joe and I understand that a lot of guys didn't, but I don't think anyone had a problem with him personally.  It was all about his game and how he never elevated us. That I certainly get (though I don't agree).  However, personally...Joe did what he was supposed to do here.  He didn't want the spotlight or to be a leader, which again, I agree if guys want to criticize him for.  But he didn't do anything to warrant the boo birds.

Paul Pierce made a good observation about Joe.  He said Joe basically was a quiet dude that didn't want attention.  Joe's response was typical Joe, "He's right about me."  He said that while laughing and said Pierce's comments didn't bother him one bit.  That's Joe.  Quiet and does what he's told.  

Josh?  Yeah.  Boo him for his hardheaded play when he was here and boo him because of the comments he made.  Joe didn't deserve that.  It was like the crowd was booing him just to be booing.

• Like 1

I am glad others have said this but I feel like I have to chirp in as well: the booing of Joe Johnson is just classless. The guy played hard for us and was a six time All Star here. He hasn't run Atlanta down since he was traded. He does not deserve this kind of reaction. It really makes our fanbase look like chumps, frankly, to boo a guy that hasn't played here in two seasons and was a six time All Star IN ATLANTA.

Yeah, it came across as awkward and silly.  Although I realize Joe made the disparaging comments about "not caring if the fans show up" or w/e but I still don't think he's boo-worthy.

Plus, I'd be willing to bet most folks were just booing because of the contract (which he didn't sign himself to).

• Moderators

Yeah, it came across as awkward and silly.  Although I realize Joe made the disparaging comments about "not caring if the fans show up" or w/e but I still don't think he's boo-worthy.

Plus, I'd be willing to bet most folks were just booing because of the contract (which he didn't sign himself to).

I don't know if I've booed a returning player or not.   But even though i wasn't the biggest Joe fan I'm not booing him because he was traded.  He didn't choose to leave Atlanta.   But I'm certainly not still booing him 2 years later.   If you have a beef boo him on his first game back but after that it just seems dumb.   

• Like 2

I have to say I really hated all the Joe booing. He has been a good Hawk for many years (probably one of the best ever, sad to say). Sure he was overpaid but what was he supposed to do, say no to money? I think this makes our fan base look bad.

I took it as not so much joe booing, but ISO Joe booing. Like booing that style of play/ that era of the hawks. I also see at as our only way of thanking Danny ferry. I loved it. One thing we all know about Joe, is that he doesn't give a fu&@ about any of that. I can only appreciate that now that he plays for another team.

Edited by Dakin

• Moderators

Bear in mind that the fans were probably excited about the playoffs and wanted to go after Brooklyn.  Joe is their top scorer and he drew the fire.  I'm not in love with the fans fixating on him at all but let's not blow this out to a bigger deal.  If the fans weren't jacked up and defensive about their Hawks, they wouldn't have done that.  It isn't his first game back in Atlanta.

Half the fans have no idea why they are booing him. I'm a Joe fan but it's the playoffs, he is now the ENEMY. Let them boo, let them boo, let them boo.

And it sure beats hearing Phillips rooting for the other teams best player.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Look, Spurs lost. Rapts lost. Pelicans gave Warriors a scare. Boston was up by double digits over Cavs. Hawks led by 16 three different times. There's some perspective for y'all. Complainers need to stop looking down the road...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Haven't the fans booed JJ on every return to Atlanta though, since he's become a Net? It was just much more pronounced last night. Much louder than usual.

Playoffs and more fans.

I get that but I'd much rather our crowd be loud, proud and all-Hawks than worry about us booing Joe.  I agree with your sentiment that he didn't do anything wrong and there is no real reason to go after him but if that is part of our fan base getting active and going after the best opponent on every team then so be it!

I am all for being loud and proud but when the only player being booed is Joe, it makes us look bad. I guess you are right though, it is better than nothing :-)

Edited by nitte
  • Like 1