• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Everyone Blames Teague But It Was Buds Fault

willthepureshooter

As I painfully continue to see Teague get trashed on this board, it only reminds me that all fans don't know basketball. The worst part of last nights play was seeing it happen as a former basketball player. I knew the playcall was trash at the 8 sec mark. As I sat there waiting for a pick and roll option with Sap my mouth was wide open in disbelief. Sap didn't move. Jeff looked uncomfortable. Then at the 5 second mark, Kyle Korver comes to set a fake screen that fooled no one. Jeff was throwed all off. Meanwhile Sap and his 45 points were stuck on the blocks. 

This possession was all on Bud. The most logical option would be to pick and roll Jeff and Sap. Or, allow Jeff to attack one on one a bit earlier in the clock to see if he could open a few options. If no ones open, you take the timeout and draw up another play. I can't believe we have a head coach who cannot draw a decent play out of the timeout. But check the article clip from the locker room interview after the game. For some reason Bud thinks Kyle is Larry Bird.

SmartSelectImage_2016-04-25-13-32-33.png

• Like 3

And I'll say what I said elsewhere, Teague deserves to get shat on for being in head up a** mode until really just the last minute. His head was never in the game until then. If it weren't for those threes he'd be one of the major reasons for the loss, actually part of the main reason.

Now, a lot of people shat on him last year and he came back with some monster games, so maybe he does again, but most of my discontent now is on him just looking like he was coasting for 98% of the game.

Edited by Lurker

80% Bud ... 20% Teague

Teague definitely went too late.  But honestly, he shouldn't have had the ball.

This was Millsap's night.  His signature moment as a player.  He DESERVED to have that ball in his hands at the end.  Let him make the shot or the pass to an open man.

To say that Teague had the clutch and hot hand, simply because he made back to back 3s .. when Millsap had 9 of the Hawks 13 points before those 2 threes .. is kind of ridiculous.  Teague was HORRIBLE up until that point.

I wonder how Millsap felt about Teague having the ball, while he's having the best basketball game any Hawk has ever had in the playoffs, since Dominique in Boston Garden back in 1988 ( 28 years ago )

That would be like Woody taking the ball out of Joe Johnson's hands back in 2008, when he had that epic 42 point performance.

If we win, with Sap making the game winner, he becomes a Hawk legend.  

Instead, the Hawks flat out wasted his 45 points.  He may as well only have scored 15 points, because the 45 points will be forgotten.

Bud definitely gets most of the hit for this loss.

• Like 2

I agree most blame lies with Bud.  It appeared to me that Jeff was told not to start the play until 3 seconds were left on the clock, leaving zero margin of error.  If Boston gets the ball back with under 2 seconds left and scores against that kind of late game pressure, kudos to them.  Another issue was how did Thomas tie the game so quickly with that driving layup, beating both on ball pressure and two defenders at the rim, if memory serves me?  Are we that afraid of surrendering a 3 point play to a 5'8" scoring guard?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Before we even get to that final play... on the play before, why was Korver even on the floor?  You put someone on the floor who could at least force Thomas into a tougher shot off that pnr at the top, the game could have been over in regulation.  Instead, Bud leaves Korver out there and Thomas gets a layup.

Jody, I fully agree with you. I don't know why we went with Kyle in that situation. I can see we were thinking about the Celtics fouling on the miss, but that's why you go with Jeff or Hardaway in that situation. Worst case scenario, we rebound on the miss and get fouled. One free throw makes this a 3pt game. With Isiah and Smart being the only three point shooters on the floor. Jared Crowder would be easy to guard off the ball. 

• Premium Member

If that was the play Bud drew up to win a Playoff game on the road, that's just pathetic. The issue with having a bunch of nice, coachable guys is nobody will divert from the play even when it is pure trash.  A 'fake' screen from Kyle Korver?

• Premium Member

My coaching license aside.  What do you do... 14 secs... Tied game.  The other team has a foul to give and a timeout.

You got to run the clock down...  Mainly because if you take a shot, the other team gets the ball, call time out and they can advance the ball past halfcourt.

You should have been moving or doing something that looks like a play because you wanted to draw out that foul to give early.  You don't want them hitting you with that foul with 2 secs left and you wasn't in a shooting motion.

Maybe Bud thought that Boston would spend their foul to give and he would work on the play after that, but Boston never gave the foul.

Either way, Bud was outcoached there.   He should have just ran a play and put the ball into Sap's hands in the post.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You should have been moving or doing something that looks like a play because you wanted to draw out that foul to give early.  You don't want them hitting you with that foul with 2 secs left and you wasn't in a shooting motion.

Bingo! Why would Boston foul if you Teague is just standing still 3 feet behind the 3 point line? You have  to make a move towards the basket to get fouled. All defenders were at the 3 point line, so there was very little chance for rebounding or help. This  was a very low basketball  IQ play all the way around. 

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, ATLien_ said:

Bingo! Why would Boston foul if you Teague is just standing still 3 feet behind the 3 point line? You have  to make a move towards the basket to get fouled. All defenders were at the 3 point line, so there was very little chance for rebounding or help. This  was a very low basketball  IQ play all the way around. 

I agree.  I would have run a straight and simple... Post up with Paul.  I would have run Teague off a pick to Paul's side... Had Korver in that same corner.  Live or Die with the man who got us 45...

If they fouled with Paul in the post... then run some set play for a last second shot... but yeah... put Paul down there and make them foul him!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Lurker said:

No, its on both of them.

This is 100% right.  Bad play drawn up by Bud who struggles with set plays.  Bad execution by Teague who waited too long and didn't even get a shot off.  A combined fail.

Just now, macdaddy said:

Our players run the plays to a fault.   Thomas would have abandoned the play when he saw that it was crap and probably got the bucket.   Teague has that mentality but only some of the time.  

60% of players would have abandoned the play.  99% of player would have been in a triple threat or dribble size-up rather than standing in catatonia presenting zero threat to the defender.  Even if ran to perfection a non rhythm shot off a standstill would have taken the grace of God to go in.

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

60% of players would have abandoned the play.  99% of player would have been in a triple threat or dribble size-up rather than standing in catatonia presenting zero threat to the defender.  Even if ran to perfection a non rhythm shot off a standstill would have taken the grace of God to go in.

The play was not well designed, but I give Bud enough credit that I am sure he didn't draw up a non-rhythm, standstill shot from 27 feet.

• Like 1

vor 9 Stunden, TheNorthCydeRises sagte:

80% Bud ... 20% Teague

Teague definitely went too late.  But honestly, he shouldn't have had the ball.

This was Millsap's night.  His signature moment as a player.  He DESERVED to have that ball in his hands at the end.  Let him make the shot or the pass to an open man.

To say that Teague had the clutch and hot hand, simply because he made back to back 3s .. when Millsap had 9 of the Hawks 13 points before those 2 threes .. is kind of ridiculous.  Teague was HORRIBLE up until that point.

I wonder how Millsap felt about Teague having the ball, while he's having the best basketball game any Hawk has ever had in the playoffs, since Dominique in Boston Garden back in 1988 ( 28 years ago )

That would be like Woody taking the ball out of Joe Johnson's hands back in 2008, when he had that epic 42 point performance.

If we win, with Sap making the game winner, he becomes a Hawk legend.  

Instead, the Hawks flat out wasted his 45 points.  He may as well only have scored 15 points, because the 45 points will be forgotten.

Bud definitely gets most of the hit for this loss.

Don´t forget that Sap has missed so many clutch/ last shots in the RS!! I think that had a big influence on Bud´s decision!

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

The play was not well designed, but I give Bud enough credit that I am sure he didn't draw up a non-rhythm, standstill shot from 27 feet.

Which is precisely my point.  Even when the grand total of Woody's play calling was for a Joe ISO, Joe would go into a triple threat before beginning his dribbling exhibition despite the whole world knowing it was intended for and would result in a long jumper.  The purpose of that dribbling exhibition?  Was for him to create space and rhythm on his jumper because even when told "take the last shot" he couldn't expect to do that  from a stand still with a defender locked in. 

I'm being told on one hand that Bud expected the foul to give, well that foul isn't coming if you're standing still behind the 3 point line until 3 seconds, you're already doing the job of what the foul to give is supposed to achieve.  I'm being told on the other hand that Bud didn't want a shot off until below 3 seconds, well you're not getting a successful one off from that static position that far from the basket.

So basically "those with basketball sense and who played the game" are trying to say that execution has 0% to do with this.  The literal play call to a professional basketball player was to standstill and desperately heave it.  It somehow sounds both entirely logical that this was the call and that Jeffrey obeyed it to a T.  If that's the case then perhaps I need to suggest some readings on Nuremberg to Jeffrey.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Look guys..as much as you want to give praise to Bud for winning 60 games last year and none to the players except the Sacred Cows on the team.  This type f up has occurred on multiple occasions and has not been corrected by the same Damn coach.  Therefore you have to conclude that he sucks in those situations period!!!!!  Why are people continuing to pass the buck?????