• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Dennis ready to run this team?

bleachkit

The organization is handing Dennis the keys to the offense. I'm just not sure he's consistent and steady enough, night in and night out, to handle the job. Our team should be solid defensively, but we are going to be a mess on offense. Bud is going to have his hands full that's for sure.

Edited by bleachkit

Surely Dennis can be just as consistent as Jeff Teague was.. I highly doubt Dennis will ever take some nights off like Teague did.

Also, I am kind of confused as to why people label Dennis as some arrogant ball hog.. Is it because of his gold streak in his hair or his gold car? The guy has averaged above 7.5 assists per game per 36minutes. I also think Bud used him as a spark off the bench and wanted him to be aggressive.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Well for comparison Tony Parker has averaged 7 assists only twice in his career. Do you see him as a balhog?

On the other hand, Westbrook last year averaged 10 assists, what do you feel about him?

Edited by aali34
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm less optimistic, me.

His common benchmark from the time he was drafted has been Rondo, and looking at age 22 for both, 3 seasons into it for both, the numbers say he compares very well to Rondo defensively, but... as bad as Rondo has been... Dennis has yet to even ascend to Rondo's offensive level.

But having said that, it does just feel like it's time. Not so much an objective numbers thing as it is a subjective feeling thing to hand over the keys to the young driver and see what he can do.

I think Dennis is ready to be the starter, but he and the team won't look that great over the first 30(ish) games. There are a lot of changes to the team and getting the chemistry built and Dennis learning how to get the ball to the guys in the right place, as well as, the rest of the starting lineup learning how to play with each other is going to lead to some early season ugly play.

For me, I was very much ready to move on from Jeff and his playing style. I will take the high energy who makes mistakes of aggressiveness v. the guy who is passive, esp at PG.

Dennis' style will eventually infect the rest of the starters making us a very dangerous club come the Spring.

• Like 2

You all are worry warts.

Think back to Bud's first season, with DMC and Millsap as new players etc with an entirely new coaching staff and offense. 

We have 4 returning players in the starting lineup. 11 returning players in total.

We are not changing the entire offensive system, just tweeks.

It's not rocket surgery - it's basketball.

As Dennis prepares himself to be the starting PG for the Hawks, we are all excited about the hoped for results.

Right now, in pre season, we seem to have three players as back up PG.

3.- Deandre Bembry has told us and everyone that he is able and willing to play PG.

2.- Jarrett Jack is an experienced PG but he is not, as yet, 100% healthy.

1.- Malcom Delaney is a very experienced European PG.  His highlight films look great.  We will have to find out

if he is really as good  as we hope that he is.

We see no one here who is waiting to take the position away from Dennis.  He is our #1.  He has played a lot of PG

since he came to Atlanta.  He has had very little experience as being a starter.  There is a difference and Bud and

his staff will be able to lead Dennis in the change of rolls.

Dwight Howard will not be expected to play all the minutes each game at center.  Like Dennis, he has a lot of

good men standing behind him, ready to relieve him at any time.  Being deep is so nice!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You all are worry warts.

Think back to Bud's first season, with DMC and Millsap as new players etc with an entirely new coaching staff and offense. 

We have 4 returning players in the starting lineup. 11 returning players in total.

What kind of surgery do they do on rockets anyway?

• Like 2

Teague had done very little, and was virtually a no show in the 2011 Orlando series, before being forced to start vs Chicago.

He plays well in the series, which was enough to part ways with Jamal, and fully give him the PG spot 

Let's keep it real though.  

If Dennis is inconsistent, so are Korver, Baze, Sefolosha, and the rest of the team.

• Premium Member
On 9/30/2016 at 6:58 AM, JTB said:

Dennis is not our number one scoring option. He's had 3 years in this offense and I've seen interviews from Bud, Sap, Thabo stating that he knows what bud and staff expects out of him as a starter. If he tries to be "the man" then we know we are dealing with an ignorant young player who's more worried about himself rather than winning.....but I'm not worried cause I don't believe Dennis will try to take over like that as a starter.

Nice take, but I think you meant arrogant.

vor einer Stunde, aali34 sagte:

Nice take, but I think you meant arrogant.

I believe he meant fast, not sure how you come from ignoratn to arrogant ;) Proadly he meant he is ignorant to better options.

vor 18 Stunden, JayBirdHawk sagte:

You all are worry warts.

I believe the change Howard / Horford is a big one, and the team need a while to adjust. Horford and Howard are both good Centers, but there playing style is very different ... And big part of the Hawks offense was, that everybody can step out and shoot with Howard we get a C who can not shoot and this will affect our spacing and schemes.

1 hour ago, CrazyEye said:

And big part of the Hawks offense was, that everybody can step out and shoot with Howard we get a C who can not shoot and this will affect our spacing and schemes.

Our scheme will certainly be adjusted but as far as D8 not being able to shoot from the distance Al can I don't think it will be a negative effect on our spacing. Believe our spacing will improve because Dwight scores in the paint and grabs more rebounds than anyone else in the games he plays in. When the defense closes towards him someone will be wide open. Kyle will be very happy for example because we don't want him working extra hard to release some open threes and Dwight's presence should really help with that. Dwight will give us more opportunities to score as well.