• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Too much, too fast??

willthepureshooter

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Anyone still worried about Dennis and his extention? That he won't continue to work hard since he got paid?

I'm not and never was.

Hawks saved approx. $10 mil on his contract next season. If we hadn't extended him some team (Kings, Sixers, Nets) would offer him a max deal as a RFA.

He's still an improving player but I like the direction he's headed.

Direction he's headed...HOF...(starting to not joke about it anymore..)...:-|

Has Dennis' spike in play corresponded with less attempts to force action to and through Dwight?  I feel like it has along with decreasing usage for Kenneth Bazemore, already below Timmy.  In a couple weeks the minutes will be less as well.  Damn his contract is ass.  Dennis like "get the bums away from me Coach.  Then I play good."

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Since the end of the 8 game losing streak, he's shooting almost 52% FG and 40% 3FG.   No way would I ever imagined that he'd play this well at ANY POINT in this season, nor less over a 21 game stretch.

He went from being pretty disappointing to a pleasant surprise on offense and nothing I've seen says that it's just a hot stretch. His decision making on his shots has been better and he mostly tries to not force it. Still takes a few bad shots, but everyone does.

It hasn't been perfect and he's not going to shoot 50%+ in a full season as a guard but if he can continue adding new things to his game I can easily see him putting up a shooting line around 45/35/82 normally.

Just, the turnovers... That's my only serious complaint and I feel we were at this same point sometime last season too. Putting up good everything except, turnovers...

The Growth of Dennis Schröder

Atlanta’s young point guard struggled at the beginning of the year, but is showing signs of growth and maturity

To most Atlanta Hawks fans, it was inevitable that Dennis Schröder would one day be the starting point guard. He has the talent, temperament, and will to be more than a back-up point guard, and in the summer of 2017 the Hawks made Schröder the full-time starter by trading away Jeff Teague. In late October, Schröder signed a four-year extension with the team, solidifying his status for the next several seasons.

The Dennis Schröder era in Atlanta has been tumultuous this season, as the 23-year-old struggled for the first few months. Many questioned whether or not he had the skills to start on a good offense, and his play was a contributing factor to the team’s skid in November that wiped out a 9-2 start. However, Schröder has been much better since early December, and is showing the potential that Atlanta saw in him this summer. Without the flashy numbers of highlight reels of many of his peers, he has developed into a capable hub for the offense to flow through.

By almost any metric, Schröder had a difficult November and December. While any statistical arguments should come with the caveat that the entire Hawks team was wildly inconsistent in November and December, some of the advanced numbers seem especially damning. For example, Atlanta posted a net rating of negative-6.7 points per 100 possessions with Schröder on the court in November.

However, since November that number has been steadily rising. The Hawks posted a negative-1.5 net rating with Schröder on the court in December, and so far in January (as of the 24th) that number has climbed even further to a positive-0.7. While no player should ever be evaluated on the strength of one statistic alone, Schröder’s on-court net rating rise provides a decent look into how he has matured as a player this season.

Perhaps most encouragingly, the Hawks’ defensive rating with Schröder on the floor improved by 4.3 points per 100 possessions from December to January as well, suggesting that the young guard has become more consistent as a defender. Schröder is also a member of one of the top-10 four-man defensive units in the league, proving that he can at least stay on the floor with good scorers. This is not to argue that he has emerged as an elite defender from the point guard position, but rather that there are signs of improvement and skill.

However, the biggest gain that Schröder has made this year comes from offense. He is shooting better across the board, particularly on 3-pointers and shots at the rim. While the season is still young enough to take these numbers with at least some measure of restraint, the fact that Schröder is making 3-pointers at a respectable rate (36%) is enormously encouraging. His improved percentage at the rim — 54.6% this season as compared to 51.7% last season — is also important, since it enhances his ability to blow past slower defenders.

Atlanta doesn’t need Schröder to be a top-five or top-10 point guard to field a good team, and few expected this of him when he signed his contract extension in October. Most people familiar with the team also didn’t see his early struggles as a cause for concern, since going from a back-up to a starting role is never easy. However, the Hawks do need their young point guard to play well for this team to have any chance of postseason success, and his improvements this season point to a bright future.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/1/25/14376216/atlanta-hawks-dennis-Schröder-growth