• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ennis SchrOer

lethalweapon3

He looked good in 2015 because he could conserve energy for pressing full court and was the 7th man on a #2 rated defensive team.  Now there is much less pressure of getting his minutes cut for not defending because he’s such an offensive stud.  Bud will still pull him late as we’ve seen twice this year.

I died a little inside when we failed to get Butler last season because he’s the perfect compliment to all of Dennis’ shortcomings (off ball play, on ball defense).  Baze’s good play lately has been a revelation as he also excels in those areas but he certainly ain’t no Jimmy. A standout BU defender like Dejounte Murray or Marcus Smart is needed to back him up.  Then I’d be on board with Dennis as a franchise piece all day. His current role is simply far too big to be even a decent defender.

I promise, last time I’m gonna mention it.  But we all saw Steph shout out Jack at his first MVP acceptance.  He damn sure didn’t learn anything about shooting from him.  He wouldn’t be the ball deflector, screen setter, and off ball runner he is without Jack in his ear about toughness.  Dennis missed a great opportunity for tutelage.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I don't think that's a big deal. He is the only NBA ballhandler on the team since he took over the starting spot and because of the tank there is really no reason for him to actually play solid defense. Why would he do that? Every Hawks fan who followed the Hawks during the 14/15 and 15/16 season knows that he is capable of playing above average defense.

Put him next to a star wing who can also handle the ball and he would play some very solid defense in the regular season and excellent defense in the POs. pretty simple

Edited by ISOJOE
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

Every Hawks fan who followed the Hawks during the 14/15 and 15/16 season knows that he is capable of playing above average defense.

Except he only actually rated well on defense in one season according to I think this article. I'm guessing without looking, that it was 15/16. In 14/15, he was overrated on defense. The only good thing about his defense with 14/15 was he'd try to press lead guards and this led to fouls most of the time.

70% of defense is effort and want to and you can't suddenly click it on and off. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ISOJOE said:

I don't think that's a big deal. He is the only NBA ballhandler on the team since he took over the starting spot and because of the tank there is really no reason for him to actually play solid defense. Why would he do that? Every Hawks fan who followed the Hawks during the 14/15 and 15/16 season knows that he is capable of playing above average defense.

Put him next to a star wing who can also handle the ball and he would play some very solid defense in the regular season and excellent defense in the POs. pretty simple

So basically the Hawks shouldn't draft someone like Luka Doncic to play alongside Dennis cause  his Defense is suspect as well.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, ISOJOE said:

There are no 100% valid stats for defense, especially for perimeter defense. The only "real" defensive stat is opponent fg% at the rim if you evaluate the defense of Centers. 

I don’t know about 100% but you can get a damn good idea from all the numbers out there now.  NBA.com hustle stats are major (deflections, distance run, and screen assists my favorites), FG% allowed at various lengths, rebounds, steals, and blocks percentages, DBPM, DWS, defensive rating.  There are some super nerds on Reddit who I’m not sure even watch basketball but have extensive scientific tracking data on drives allowed. Teamrankings.com also does a good job, I’m always up on defensive plays per foul, a seemingly great indicator of defensive savvy based on minutes. Butler is always at the top, Leonard is usually Top 3 if healthy.  

Belinelli at a surprising 11th.  He does get a lot of deflections and poke aways but I didn’t realize he only fouls .7 times a game.    That’s classic Spurs teaching.  I don’t get to see how poor Dennis is (only 2 fouls per) because the list stops at 100 with Iced Teague.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

So basically the Hawks shouldn't draft someone like Luka Doncic to play alongside Dennis cause  his Defense is suspect as well.

Doncic will be a good team defender at least, Korver style. He's got effort and size at the 2 position.

Edit: With potential to be better.

Edited by TheFuzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

Doncic will be a good team defender at least, Korver style. He's got effort and size at the 2 position.

Edit: With potential to be better.

That is a potential thing, he's not that good at that part right now. That's what we hope he can develop into defensively. Korver like 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

That is a potential thing, he's not that good at that part right now. That's what we hope he can develop into defensively. Korver like 

Sure, but I'm talking tools. Kids 18 and plays hard. I assume he's coachable. He won't be a good defender out of the gate but very few rooks are.

• Premium Member

Defense is about effort. You don't have to be a shot blocker or a steals guy to play good on ball and off screen defense. I love Dennis but his defense is bad. You can't coach effort. Considering how long he's been under Bud there's just no getting around it: he is who he is. A good to very good offensive player who doesn't play hardly a lick of defense.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

This man hit a rookie wall lately?  Being grossly outplayed by competing BUs, 3 point shooting free-falling to a team worst.

Hate to say it but he’s playing his way to a sure trade. I was confident as long as he was efficient taking all these shots and still shooting league avg at least from the field (wasn’t worried that about the 3ball) but lately he has dropped badly on a shooting stand point all together and is making his haters around here right about him which they weren’t able to fully back up the first 3 months of the season.

i still believe Schröder is a good mid range shooter and driver despite the stats but let’s face it!...Schlenk is trading his ass for sure if he doesn’t step it back up, even in a tank year.

• Like 1