• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Rockets

lethalweapon3

36 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Even better than the comeback against the Bulls. Two of the biggest comebacks I can remember us pulling off.

You talking about the one when Horford went nuts back in I believe 2010 or 2011?

• Moderators

"And Tim Hardaway's red glarrrrrrrrrrre..."

(EDIT: shaky tweet)

"@ESPNNBA: In the 4th quarter tonight:

Tim Hardaway Jr. - 23 pts** (8-11 FGs, 3-5 3FGs)

** Career-high for any quarter

The Rockets - 22 pts (8-23 FGs, 3-10 3FGs)"

~lw3

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jy23 said:

You talking about the one when Horford went nuts back in I believe 2010 or 2011?

The one a couple of weeks ago that demoralized the Bulls and started their trash talking to each other in the media.

• Like 1

• Moderators

"One in a million... chance of a lifetime..."

The Hawks are the 1st team to overcome a 20-point deficit in the 4th quarter of a regular-season game since the Pacers did it April 9, 2013 against the Cavs. Since then, teams had lost 1,306 consecutive regular-season games entering Thursday.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0619014489462804915-4

~lw3

• Like 3

What a game! I had to watch the 4th quarter one more gayne. Kudos to the guys for not giving up. Kudos to THJ for putting in the work in the summer over the last couple of years. I think Allen Iverson is wrong about practice. Practice can help. 

Shout out to Dwight with an amazing stat line, shout out to rookie Bembry for bottling up Harden, no easy task. What a game! I watched the Ariza 3 at the end a few more times and from that angle, I still think it went in, but it didn't thank God! Hardaway mentioned heart during the post game interview and that's all most of us here have been asking for this entire season. My dog starts howling when I start yelling. My neighbors are sure to give me a few dirty looks tomorrow but well worth it. 

Im not even gonna say let's ride this game to more wins. Let's just enjoy this for a minute! 

Last but not least, HOW YOU LIKE US NOW CHARLES??? 

HAWKSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

It's crazy that a lot of us in the chat last night said that we wouldn't be surprised if we won tonight. Lol. Crazy! Honestly I'm still catching my breath! I said earlier I hated our roster...few hours later, I love it! I feel like a skitzo!

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

The one a couple of weeks ago that demoralized the Bulls and started their trash talking to each other in the media.

Got you lol

• Like 1

Did anyone else check out the #'s combined of our PG's?

Dennis and Delaney combined for:

3-22 fg

0-6 3's

7 assists (of our teams 26)

7 points (of our teams 113)

Is this an anomaly or is it a good idea to have THJ, Bembry and I hate to say it, Baze bring the ball up the court and have them get us into our offense from time to time as a change of pace and a different look?

3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

"And Tim Hardaway's red glarrrrrrrrrrre..."

~lw3

NVTS Nuts!!!

Technically THJ scored 23 points in the final 8:41 seconds...and 21 points in the final 6:24 seconds of the game!

Not sure if I've ever witness a scoring onslaught like this in the last 20 years or ever...the candidates in my mind that could have pulled off anything like this might be Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams, or Steve Smith. I don't think any of those guys ever did it. Wow! I would rank this as a top 10 regular season game I've watched as a Hawks fan since 2000...or possibly in the last 31 years! Incredible! (Standing O)!

Another side note ...The Rockets took 51 three pointers and hit 13! I'm not sure but I'm guessing 51 three pointers attempted has to be a record, no? What a game! What a boxscore! 

• Moderators

If it wasn't already noted, Harden was granted 21 free throw attempts, the most FTAs in any game for him since March 2015. Ironically, he missed 5 of those shots. And was still trying to get the flop call late when he got stripped by Dwight.

Also, one guy a little happy that Coach Bud didn't insert THJ in until 9:45 left to go in the fourth? Dominique Wilkins.

Junior's 23 point flame-throwing ended the night 5 points shy of Nique's franchise record for points in any quarter -- 28 versus the Kings on February 16, 1988 (as per Hawks' Media Guide).

TNT's Kenny Smith might recall that game. Nique's 51-point night included that 3rd-quarter blitz (capped by a 3/4-court buzzer-beater) as part of a Hawks record 36-point second half. Still, Kenny the Jet, Reggie Theus, and Sacramento head coach Bill Russell escaped the Omni with a come-from-behind 118-115 victory, Theus' buzzer-beater winning the game for the visitors.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/dominique-moment-16/

~lw3

• Moderators

One more bit of Media Guide trivia before I completely doze off.

The Hawks beat Houston for like the 6th or 7th time in a row (that's not from the guide, I just forgot).

Our franchise's all-time records for points scored in any quarter (54), half (97), or game (155) all came in one game against the Rockets... the San Diego Rockets (has there ever been a smoother transition of a franchise name in sports history? NASA's Atlas ICBMs were being built in the SD area in the 1960s). Setting kind of a trend for SD sports teams, the Rockets moved to H-Town in 1971. They began celebrating 50 calendar years as a franchise last month.

February 11, 1970 was the date, San Diego the place, when three Hawks went for 30+ points (Mahdi Abdul-Rahman... TAFKA Walt Hazzard... Joe Caldwell and Lou Hudson), outpointing Elvin Hayes, Stu Lantz and a scoreless Pat Riley for the 155-131 victory. The third-quarter and second-half scoring by Atlanta set the NBA records for those periods, and the 97-point second-half record still stands today.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

One more trivia piece I can't resist.

November 25, 1977: John Drew's Hawks were the victims of the biggest 4th-quarter comeback in NBA history (29 points, as per Wiki and UPI press). Atlanta was up 111-82 on Milwaukee with 8:42 to go in the game, when the visiting Bucks hoofed their way back, 31-2 in the final six minutes, before winning 117-115.

Future Wendy's franchisee Junior Bridgeman led the way for Milwaukee, whose notables included head coach Don Nelson, Alex English, Ernie Grunfeld, and future acting star Marques Johnson. Marques was fouled on a breakaway by Fast Eddie Johnson, and sank two free throws with a second left in the game to secure the win.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

I promise I'll get to sleep, the Chamomile is ready.

But... 48 defensive rebounds. Fell one shy of the team's all-time** record of 49, set twice at home vs. Philly in October 1974 and versus Utah in March 2012 (Al was not there! Pec tear season #1. Zaza had 20 boards), as per Hawks Media Guide. On the Jazz 2012 team was Paul Millsap.

**O-Reb and D-Reb records only started getting split apart by the league in the 1973-74 season.

~lw3

• Like 2