• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would the 2015 Atlanta Hawks have won it all if Dwight Howard was the center instead of Al Horford?

Lurker

• Admin
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Discuss.

I personally think no, no, and heck no, but I was inspired to create this thread for a reason.

God no ... Horford was/is such a better player then Dwight ... his rebounding isn’t as good but every other facet is better ....he was One of the main reasons for our success that season ... his ability to pass is one of the most underrated in the league ...his mid range is as good as anyone ... his d is excellent ... his effort and his leadership also ... 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I believe that our Hawks team was built with Horf being an integral part.   However,   the 2014-2015 Hawks with Korver and DMC  shooting from outside and Millsap owning the midrange... and with Teague starting and a hungry Dennis off the bench... I think we probably would have won the ECF (If Korver and DMC doesn't get injured).

Here's why. 

Our weakness was rebounding.   If Dwight is playing, then Thompson doesn't get any rebounds.  Cleveland is not killing us with 2nd chance shots.   Paul Millsap was a defensive beast at the time and I believe that if we guard Lebron with him/DMC and let Dwight handle the middle there's no response that the Cavs could give us.   We would have forced them into being a one dimensional team. 

Now... GS would have torn us afresh. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I believe that our Hawks team was built with Horf being an integral part.   However,   the 2014-2015 Hawks with Korver and DMC  shooting from outside and Millsap owning the midrange... and with Teague starting and a hungry Dennis off the bench... I think we probably would have won the ECF (If Korver and DMC doesn't get injured).

Here's why. 

Our weakness was rebounding.   If Dwight is playing, then Thompson doesn't get any rebounds.  Cleveland is not killing us with 2nd chance shots.   Paul Millsap was a defensive beast at the time and I believe that if we guard Lebron with him/DMC and let Dwight handle the middle there's no response that the Cavs could give us.   We would have forced them into being a one dimensional team. 

Now... GS would have torn us afresh. 

Omg I can't help this level of delusion. It isn't like the series was close 3 of the 4 games were double digits the last being 30+ and they were without 2 allstar players... They didn't even really take us serious. Go post that on a Cavs board it'll make them laugh.

Edited by davis171

• Moderators

Are you asking if Dwight was on the team instead of Horford or are you asking if Dwight was our center with Horford at PF?  Need some context here.

Scenario# 1 - no, No, NO!  That team was based on space and pace and Dwight is a lug.

Scenario# 2 - We would have at least won a couple games in the ECF and would have been a dangerous team.

• Like 1

I’m going to say no ...not because Howard is incapable or because horford is superior to Howard...I’m saying no because howard doesn’t want to change his role in how he goes about playing the center position. Howard wants to be something he’s not and that’s shaq, he’s not a shaq clone anymore and his athleticism isn’t what it use to be however IF HOWARD AGREED TO PLAY A ROLE SIMILAR TO THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS BOGUT....we are talking about a completely different situation!

That team wasn't winning a title with Dwight of 2015. It might not even get out of the first round. That said 2009 Dwight replacing 2009 Al Horford would have won a title. That's unquestionable. That 2009 squad we had just needed a superstar and Dwight was a top 3 player in the NBA  that season. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, davis171 said:

Omg I can't help this level of delusion. It isn't like the series was close 3 of the 4 games were double digits the last being 30+ and they were without 2 allstar players... They didn't even really take us serious. Go post that on a Cavs board it'll make them laugh.

So would you have predicted that the team we fielded would have been the best team in the East (reg season) going into that season?  If not, then let's just say that you're skewed pessimestically to begin with.