The Tank Thread

Diesel

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

That and a recent lottery pick.  Two lottery assets to make the trade.

None of which were high picks.  

So, the 12th pick in the draft gets you James Harden   The 15th pick gets you nothing.   

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, the 12th pick in the draft gets you James Harden   The 15th pick gets you nothing.   

Two lottery picks gets you in the conversation for major pieces.  The second lottery asset they traded could have been the #1 pick.  There is risk for teams both ways in future picks - OKC limited their risk by requiring the pick be a lottery pick to convey.

You are right that the #15 pick gets you THJr, not James Harden.  Houston would have laughed at an offer of the #15 pick instead of a #12 and guaranteed future 1-14 pick.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

I am saying if you hope to get lucky and get a Shaq or a KG or a Ray Allen or a Kevin Love or a James Harden....the common thread for all of them is trading lottery talent and/or picks.  Multiple teams have done these trades to springboard themselves into contenders but the #17 pick in the draft isn't going to cut it.  Lottery picks move the needle.  That is one way to use lottery assets.

And I'm saying that the Heat didn't get rid of all of their assets in order to get Wade.   So that when it came time to go after Shaq.. they had Assets to trade.  

The game is not 1 players wins.. the game is collect enough assets to have a team that wins.   

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Yea and the 2nd pick gets you Otis Thorpe.  Let’s be incredibly obtuse over what trading a future playoff protected 1st means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

And I'm saying that the Heat didn't get rid of all of their assets in order to get Wade.   So that when it came time to go after Shaq.. they had Assets to trade.  

The game is not 1 players wins.. the game is collect enough assets to have a team that wins.   

And I'm saying Sap and Dwight on their current contracts aren't tradable assets. 

1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

Let’s be incredibly obtuse over what trading a future playoff protected 1st means.

I see my willpower is stronger than yours. I’ve typed, then deleted, that word at least a half dozen times in a response the past couple of weeks. But just stopped, deleted my comment, popped a beer, and chuckled about the few obtuse doctors I’ve fired because they were just too full of shit to ever admit to being wrong under any circumstance. Totally self-unaware ;)

• Like 3

• Admin

We are fighting to keep third worst record ... I think it is a given that Memphis will be last and PHX is a great example that having offensive talent won’t help you win if u have no defense ... so we just got to hold off Orlando, Dallas and Sac for,third worst spot ... I don’t see Mem or the Suns moving past us

34 minutes ago, hazer said:

I see my willpower is stronger than yours. I’ve typed, then deleted, that word at least a half dozen times in a response the past couple of weeks. But just stopped, deleted my comment, popped a beer, and chuckled about the few obtuse doctors I’ve fired because they were just too full of shit to ever admit to being wrong under any circumstance. Totally self-unaware ;)

Your willpower perhaps, your liver most definitely.  I can’t imagine the extent of cirrhosis I’d have if I followed that same strategy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Your willpower perhaps, your liver most definitely.  I can’t imagine the extent of cirrhosis I’d have if I followed that same strategy.

Usually after deleting obtuse comment I que up the Family Guy “Shawshank/Obtuse” clip. Thinking now is finally the perfect timing for that: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

We are fighting to keep third worst record ... I think it is a given that Memphis will be last and PHX is a great example that having offensive talent won’t help you win if u have no defense ... so we just got to hold off Orlando, Dallas and Sac for,third worst spot ... I don’t see Mem or the Suns moving past us

Phoenix is dead last in offense, by the way.  And despite having the great Devin Booker, they're last in 3 point FG% too.

(( edit:  And dead last in defense ))

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

10 hours ago, jy23 said:

Just gonna keep moving the goal posts I see. Nothing is ever good enough bc they can find the most obscure example of something that went the opposite direction and focus the entire conversation on that until it’s no longer useful or someone dispels that theory and then we move the goal posts again. Ridiculous 

Like talking to a brick wall.

• Like 4

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If you guys are going to talk prospects shouldn't that be in the other thread about the draft?

Let's try to keep tanking talk here and prospect talk there.  People can love the idea of tanking but hate particular prospects or hate the idea of tanking but love particular prospects.  Goal is to let people who are sick of one topic or the other focus on the issue they want.  Thanks!

• Like 3