• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Steve Koonin: "There is a story and it will come at the right time"

GameTime

20 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Steve is all hype, he said that signing Dwight Howard would transform the Hawks. Whenever there is negative news or speculation, he downplays it or sidesteps the question like he did here. I'm not big fan of BS, and Steve seems to have plenty of it. 

Steve is all hype but it's hard to disagree with the fact that he said there are 10 starters in this draft class. I agree. That's why this draft is so highly touted. 

• Premium Member

Without having to listen myself, some of you astute posters, please offer me some insight into what that quote possibly means... ? ? ?

What is this "story" of which Koonin evidently speaks that will "come at the right time?"

======

EDIT: Ten posts in, and this discussion STILL seems irrelevant to the subject header.

You're really going to force me to listen, aren't you?

I didn't like that Steve said that there will be 1,2, possibly 3 rookies on the team next year.   I hope he knows we have 4 draft picks in all.  He talked only about the lottery pick & the pick from Minny.  Is it just coincidence he didn't say anything about the 30th pick? Is Shlenk looking to sell either the 30th pick or the 2nd rounder?  We need to keep all 4 picks at worst stash the 2nd rounder overseas or in the G-League.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why pay for those picks when you can just use that roster spot on a G-League player that helps you with your ultimate goal of another tanking season?

Your dead horse beating never gets old...no wait, it does.  Although I'd say another season of craptastic posts by you will be forthcoming as the Hawk's endure a season that may make us all brothers against brothers.  (If it hasn't already).

Edited by deester11
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why pay for those picks when you can just use that roster spot on a G-League player that helps you with your ultimate goal of another tanking season?

Playing time, learning a new system. Getting used to the travel and 82 game season. 

25 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I didn't like that Steve said that there will be 1,2, possibly 3 rookies on the team next year.   I hope he knows we have 4 draft picks in all.  He talked only about the lottery pick & the pick from Minny.  Is it just coincidence he didn't say anything about the 30th pick? Is Shlenk looking to sell either the 30th pick or the 2nd rounder?  We need to keep all 4 picks at worst stash the 2nd rounder overseas or in the G-League.

There is also the decent possibility that a couple of those picks will be packaged in order to move up higher in the first round.  In addition, the late first, and/or the early second, could be used on a draft-and-stash Euro, thus leaving 2-3 rookies on next year's team. These are the 2 most likely scenarios referenced by Koonin's statement in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

Eurostash...

Hello Okobo or Bitadze 

• Premium Member

Dang, folks.

My suspicions have proven correct after having to go listen to it myself... this thread did in fact get hijacked before it even got started.

Koonin claims he would "handicap it" as likely "muchado about nothing," though he acknowledged it an odd development... and then says "There's a story and it will come at the right time and everything is quite positive."

Really? No one wants to try to interpret how this ends up being "quite positive?"

I can't even imagine a single scenario where it is "quite positive" myself.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Dang, folks.

My suspicions have proven correct after having to go listen to it myself... this thread did in fact get hijacked before it even got started.

Koonin claims he would "handicap it" as likely "muchado about nothing," though he acknowledged it an odd development... and then says "There's a story and it will come at the right time and everything is quite positive."

Really? No one wants to try to interpret how this ends up being "quite positive?"

They are looking to extend Bud and want to see what his market value is to get the right contract for him as a coach. That's the only positive thing there could be in this situation.  I'm not naive enough to think that's what it is, but if so, yay!

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Dang, folks.

Oh, I can think of a few positives that can come out of this.

1.  Bud gets a contract extension to remain in Atlanta.

2.  Schlenk gets demoted to president of janitorial services for Philips Arena.

3.  Malik Rose is promoted to GM.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:59 AM, sturt said:

Dang, folks.

Doesn't Buds parents still live in Arizona. It could be as simple as wanting to be closer to his family and have his kids closer to their grand parents. Hopefully it's not anything to do with his parents health. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Doesn't Buds parents still live in Arizona. It could be as simple as wanting to be closer to his family and have his kids closer to their grand parents. Hopefully it's not anything to do with his parents health. 

It this deals with anyone's poor health (and I don't think it does) then I really hope Koonen wasn't saying the story around this is "quite positive"!

• Like 1