• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford didnt want to do this in ATL

hylndr11

On 5/5/2018 at 10:12 PM, NBASupes said:

Sap was a bench player on Utah when they were a playoff team. He was an impact level bench player stat wise this year for Denver. In Atlanta, last year, our bench is why we had a winning record as well as Tim going off v. Cleveland and Houston as several other games. Sap is the most overrated player and that's why Atlanta didn't bother to offer that guy a contract. Horford has always been our GOAT since Nique. 

Eh. Joe Johnson was much better than Horford IMO. Deke too. Quite a bit of other Hawks.

• Like 1

Just now, EazyRoc said:

Eh. Joe Johnson was much better than Horford IMO. Deke too. Quite a bit of other Hawks.

I completely disagree but Joe was nasty. Joe and Al were the two best Hawks since Deke and Nique

I'm sorry, I thought he was much better than 13 pts I was reading and looking at his stats about the first games and watched the 4th game he was dominating in ways and banging that I hadn't seen before he is not more athletic , but I'll give supes this maybe the coaching is better there and making a diff, media seems to say do at least, he just seemed more active I guess I'd say in those first 4 games than I remember him being here 

God bless Al...but I can't support or root for him. Sorry. I can't be revisionist. I never questioned his effort, but he had a few lackluster games in the playoffs, along with the biggest bucket ever scored in ATL history. My issue isn't that he wanted to leave the organization. That's between him and the front office. When Tito came out and said what he said about level of fandom in MY CITY...that did it for me. You can't possibly think they didn't have these discussions in private. Nevermind the fact his son and some of his teammates didn't always bring it. It's ATL all day for me. You can't ish on my city and I feel good about it.

Athletes leave all the time. No thang to me. But I will continue to boo Tito's son. This is my city. Are we perfect? No. But it is red clay all day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DatBoiKhaos said:

God bless Al...but I can't support or root for him. Sorry. I can't be revisionist. I never questioned his effort, but he had a few lackluster games in the playoffs, along with the biggest bucket ever scored in ATL history. My issue isn't that he wanted to leave the organization. That's between him and the front office. When Tito came out and said what he said about level of fandom in MY CITY...that did it for me. You can't possibly think they didn't have these discussions in private. Nevermind the fact his son and some of his teammates didn't always bring it. It's ATL all day for me. You can't ish on my city and I feel good about it.

Athletes leave all the time. No thang to me. But I will continue to boo Tito's son. This is my city. Are we perfect? No. But it is red clay all day.

That was definitely not the most diplomatic ending to be sure.  That said, Atlanta metro is the biggest college football town in the United States.  We get 70 billion for a spring scrimmage in Athens, but could not sell out many playoff games.  

I shudder to think whether a peak MJ or LeBron game at Philips might be worth more than a Hawks playoff ticket.  Horford pretty much instantly brought respectability to the Hawks.  And if the Celtics finish off the Cavs, there will be weeks of Horford stories where no doubt Atlanta while be politely dissed.

While during the 60 win season the bandwagon thing was sorta Comic Book Guy annoying, the best hope of course of changing Hawks fandom starts with the young.  Had we kept a winning product for a spell, it really might have changed the narrative.

• Premium Member

Al is a very good player. One of the best at his position... though that has more to do with how thin the position is, especially in the east than how amazing Horford is. If he had been playing in the 90's probably wouldn't have sniffed an All Star appearance. Having said that Al is a ++Starter with great intangibles. Problem in Atlanta is we wanted him to be more than he was. He is never going to be the type of player that takes over games consistently. Close call between him and Paul Millsap as to who was the most valuable player of that Hawks generation.

32 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Al is a very good player. One of the best at his position... though that has more to do with how thin the position is, especially in the east than how amazing Horford is. If he had been playing in the 90's probably wouldn't have sniffed an All Star appearance. Having said that Al is a ++Starter with great intangibles. Problem in Atlanta is we wanted him to be more than he was. He is never going to be the type of player that takes over games consistently. Close call between him and Paul Millsap as to who was the most valuable player of that Hawks generation.

Al would be excellent in any era. I would say he would have been a top 5 player in the 90s

Edited by NBASupes

Al is one of the best team Bigs ever and so unique it’s hard to compare him to anyone before.  Closest ones would be Parrish, Marc Gasol, and Noah maybe.  Individual iso ability, nothing to write home about.  This is what has lead to his pedestrian playoff campaigns in the past: sometimes athleticism and bully ball just trumps positioning and IQ.  Very good post defender until it’s time to box out and board.  There was an embarrassing sequence last game where he was terrified to touch Thompson as he volleyed the ball off th offensive glass numerous times before he pumped and scored easily.  

He’s always been the smartest Big on the floor 9 times out of 10 since he came in the league but the difference in his style of play before and after the pec injuries is huge, easily evidenced by his dunks and And-1 opportunities.  Those plays used to be great for the home Hawks crowd, they would blow the roof off The Garden, arguably the most knowledgeable and game-affecting fanbase.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JSmooooove said:

HAHAHA ok now that is funny. He wouldn't even be a top 5 big man let alone top 5 player. 

He probably just meant that Alice would wear the number 1 through 5?  In that case, Alice would indeed be a top 5 player.

Watching him struggle with Tristan, I can just imagine him against real power forwards who could really be physical with him.  SMDH  Oakley would've son'nd him so bad.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He probably just meant that Alice would wear the number 1 through 5?  In that case, Alice would indeed be a top 5 player.

Watching him struggle with Tristan, I can just imagine him against real power forwards who could really be physical with him.  SMDH  Oakley would've son'nd him so bad.

Oakley, Mase (not not @MaceCase but kind of the same..) and Ewing would have bruised Al up so hard he’d be running to daddy crying. It wouldn’t even be a fair fight. 

imagegif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Oakley, Mase (not not @MaceCase but kind of the same..) and Ewing would have bruised Al up so hard he’d be running to daddy crying. It wouldn’t even be a fair fight. 

imagegif

Those guys used to struggle with Rik Smits. Al is something that just didnt exist in the 90s. He didnt exist till recently

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Those guys used to struggle with Rik Smits. Al is something that just didnt exist in the 90s. He didnt exist till recently

Wtf does that mean. No there were softies like Al back in the 90’s (I think you were in diapers perhaps) but they all quietly went away until the NBA became a soft league. 

BTW Rick Smits was a 7’4” rock and would have destroyed Al. Al would have been a power forward back then and would have been utilized like a Channing Frye in today’s game. Just stay out on the perimeter and launch...matter of fact..isn’t that what he does now? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Al >> Shaq, Duncan, Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing, Garnett, Dirk, Barkley, and.....Karl Malone of course.  Remember that time that Al was league MVP and the time he was the best player on a team that made the NBA finals?  Man those were good teams to watch with MVP Al putting up dominant numbers in the finals.

• Like 2

Al Horford is good, but Jesus Christ he’s not that good. Good shooter, solid passer, good team defender and that’s IT. The guy has a ton of holes in his game. He’s really just a high level glue guy. Not a star, but just above basic role player. 

EDIT: Not referring to you AHF. 

Edited by EazyRoc
  • Like 3

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Al Horford is good, but Jesus Christ he’s not that good. Good shooter, solid passer, good team defender and that’s IT. The guy has a ton of holes in his game. He’s really just a high level glue guy. Not a star, but just above basic role player. 

EDIT: Not referring to you AHF. 

Agree with your statement about him being a super high level glue guy but not about being just above basic role player.  He is similar to Draymond Green.  He does lots of things very well and fits really well into ensemble teams.  Could not replace an MVP type player who teams can build around.

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree with your statement about him being a super high level glue guy but not about being just above basic role player.  He is similar to Draymond Green.  He does lots of things very well and fits really well into ensemble teams.  Could not replace an MVP type player who teams can build around.

Yeah I went a little bit too hard on Al. He’s a sub-All Star glue guy. Not quite on Draymonds level, but close.