• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Does Trae Young have the tools to become a better defender in the NBA? If you say yes, there's nothing else to talk about.

It is unlikely that Young is a good defender, but it is also unlikely that Bagley is a good defender.  The difference is that it is easier to hide Young defensively than it is Bagley.   You can’t hide a bad defensive big.  You can hide a bad defensive point guard.  

Trae has the skill level to have a winning contribution on offense.  Bagley doesn’t.  

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This tidbit is interesting...Thanks Woj for tipping the picks or Travis would have traded up to #17.

Schlenk told 95.7 The Game in San Francisco on Friday that he had a deal in place to acquire the No. 17 pick from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for a draft pick, but he never had to make that deal because the media were projecting picks prior to them being announced.

"Last night, for instance, we had the 19th pick and we're coming down and we're actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like," Schlenk said. "There's were a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin [Huerter] was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take.

"So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal and keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up because we knew that two guys on the board we felt really good about and only one team in between us so that was beneficial to us last night."

The two players they were looking at were Kevin Huerter and Lonnie Walker Jr.  

It is unlikely that Young is a good defender, but it is also unlikely that Bagley is a good defender.  The difference is that it is easier to hide Young defensively than it is Bagley.   You can’t hide a bad defensive big.  You can hide a bad defensive point guard.  

Trae has the skill level to have a winning contribution on offense.  Bagley doesn’t.  

Ok that's a fine take. I disagree, but I'm not that big a Bagley fan anyways. I just think that a Doncic, Walker pairing would've been vastly better than Young and Huerter.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ok that's a fine take. I disagree, but I'm not that big a Bagley fan anyways. I just think that a Doncic, Walker pairing would've been vastly better than Young and Huerter.

I’m not high on Walker.  I had him rated in the 19-22 area.  I had Huerter 14.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Flight said:

I lowkey wish we could have gotten MPJ though, seeing him and Trae light it up would have been amazing to watch.

I was wondering if we were going to plunge into the trade fray there once he slipped past 10.  Seemed doable and the sort of risk we should have been taking even though I'm not a huge MPJ guy.

2 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

By most accounts Walker was the pick he was targeting before the spurs took him. So we took the guy they had rated next.

I also have a suspicion that if Okobo had been there at 34, we may have taken him. He was linked to us as high as 30 in one mock. Three had him going 21st and two others had him going at 23rd.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/21/nba-mock-draft-final-consensus-top-prospects-update-rumors/

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I was wondering if we were going to plunge into the trade fray there once he slipped past 10.  Seemed doable and the sort of risk we should have been taking even though I'm not a huge MPJ guy.

Yeah, I feel like when you're early rebuilding or a title contender are really the only times you can take chances on the big Boom or Bust prospects like MPJ. 

Just now, Buzzard said:

I also have a suspicion that if Okobo had been there at 34, we may have taken him. He was linked to us as high as 30 in one mock. Three had him going 21st and two others had him going at 23rd.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/21/nba-mock-draft-final-consensus-top-prospects-update-rumors/

I could see it. The funny thing is he didn’t even bother to get a stash player ( even though I hated that idea) so that makes some sense. 

1 minute ago, Royjr9 said:

I could see it. The funny thing is he didn’t even bother to get a stash player ( even though I hated that idea) so that makes some sense. 

We picked three players and added one future 1st and two future 2nds. I like the big picture view Schlenk took last night.

33 minutes ago, AHF said:

From what so have heard, MPJ’s medicals are BAD.   He’s got a chronic back issue.  

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

From what so have heard, MPJ’s medicals are BAD.   He’s got a chronic back issue.  

They have to be.  Nothing else explains that fall.  I wanted no part of him in the top 10.  

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Peachtree Hoops Retweeted Nathan Allen

Pick protections for the Dallas selection are as follows: 1-5 in 2019, 1-5 in 2020, 1-3 in 2021 and 1-3 in 2022 and unprotected in 2023

It’ll convert next year at around 10-15 range I think.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Someone said it was basically like a "Jelly donut". Dear God. I know personally you are never the same with spinal damage. I've already had one spinal surgery, and several injections. Need more surgery and more injections now. It sucks.

• Premium Member
It’ll convert next year at around 10-15 range I think.

That's worse case I'm thinking, if Dallas signs Boogie and someone else pick might be just outside lottery

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, turnermx said:

That's worse case I'm thinking, if Dallas signs Boogie and someone else pick might be just outside lottery

I agree but I have a feeling Dallas will still suck a bit. I also don’t think Luka fits with DSJ. They both have to have the ball in their hands to orchestrate the offense and one will have to defer. Plus Dirk can barely walk...Wes Matthews is injury prone. Barnes is solid but that’s not enough.

I think they try to make a push for the playoffs but come up short. Have a feeling free agent bigs will elude them once more.

prediction before FA: Mavs finish 20th best overall record in the league.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, turnermx said:

All the more reason to hope LeBron goes to the Lakers. Dallas would have to be better than the 8 teams who made the playoffs last year + the Nuggets and Lakers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thecampster said:

http://www.euroleague.net/main/statistics?mode=Leaders&entity=Players&seasonmode=Single&seasoncode=E2017&cat=Score&agg=Accumulated  Here, look at the points leaders in Euroleague.  2 quarters to anyone who recognizes more than 3 names in the top 20.

Beaubois, formerly with Mavs, Kevin Pangis, P Jackson, McCollum, and I think Gill is the a player that had a lot of hype 2 years ago with Sac town, or is that the injury riddled Gills a different player.

12 hours ago, Royjr9 said:

ISO joe, terry surely I’m missing someone else but point remains that’s not true.

Joe Johnson did not have the same scoring 'potential' that Trae Young has...Trae can be a potential Curry or Harden scorer with his shooting capabilities, putting up 30+ on a consistent basis or multiple times a month.