• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Free Agency, July 1st....let the games begin

JayBirdHawk

4 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

What do you think of Jabari Parker(who is a RFA)?

I have a friend who is a Bulls fan(funny due to the whole D.Rose stuff) that thinks that he could still become a superstar despite the 2 knee injuries.

He wants Parker to come home. If you were the Bulls, would you give it a shot?

That would be a hard no from me.  I think some people cannot get passed the fact that Jabari Parker was the 2nd overall pick in the draft.  Even when healthy, he has not been an impact player.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Not true. Has he only been on losing squads, yes. The rebuilding Wolves and rebuilding Bulls.

But does that mean he couldn’t be a piece on a winning team? Who knows.

Kids got a great work ethic and has improved his ball handling and shooting since entering the league.

I wouldn’t build a team around him, but I could see putting him around a franchise piece.

At worst he is JR Smith. A guy you look at and say will never win in this league. But on a contender he becomes a vital role player that gives you bursts of scoring when you r top dawgs are off.

I wouldn’t pay him the money it would take to get him from Chicago. But I would not write him off as a loser so early in his career when he has only been on young rebuilding teams.

I don't disagree with the bolded part.  It's very difficult to develop players properly in losing environments.  This is one reason I'm so against the direction the Hawks have taken.  You may draft a great player, but because of what you are and aren't emphasizing in the short term, you may do more harm than good to that player's development.  What you are and aren't emphasizing is what establishes your culture, and when your goal is to lose games, you are going to have a lot of problems with player development.  

So, Zach Lavine has been on losing teams and has not developed the way you would want.  Andrew Wiggins has been on a losing team in all but one year, and he has not developed the way you would have wanted.  Brandon Ingram is on a losing team, and he has not developed the way you would want.  D'Angelo Russell has been on losing teams and has not developed.  

It still blows my mind that anyone would intentionally build this type of environment while preaching player development.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

What do you think of Jabari Parker(who is a RFA)?

I have a friend who is a Bulls fan(funny due to the whole D.Rose stuff) that thinks that he could still become a superstar despite the 2 knee injuries.

He wants Parker to come home. If you were the Bulls, would you give it a shot?

Pass on Parker as well.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As for that quote, I think he means that anyone that watches the entire NBA, or even follows college bball would know that LaVine was an elite athlete, and not just a solid one.

Truuuuu

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

? I seriously don’t want anybody. This might be the first year that I really would love to sign nobody and their moms.

i guess.  with the weak draft next year, I don't know how much tanking this year and having a bunch of picks in 19 really makes sense, though.  I wouldn't want to pay the max for someone unless they are elite.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

? I seriously don’t want anybody. This might be the first year that I really would love to sign nobody and their moms.

None of them excite me, they'll just be overpaid. All of them looking for max contracts.

Cousins with his achilles - no defense

Jabari and his 2 knees - no defense

Lavine, more pure athlete than basketball, seems like a low BBIQ player - no defense.

I'm sensing a trend here.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't disagree with the bolded part.  It's very difficult to develop players properly in losing environments.  This is one reason I'm so against the direction the Hawks have taken.  You may draft a great player, but because of what you are and aren't emphasizing in the short term, you may do more harm than good to that player's development.  What you are and aren't emphasizing is what establishes your culture, and when your goal is to lose games, you are going to have a lot of problems with player development.  

So, Zach Lavine has been on losing teams and has not developed the way you would want.  Andrew Wiggins has been on a losing team in all but one year, and he has not developed the way you would have wanted.  Brandon Ingram is on a losing team, and he has not developed the way you would want.  D'Angelo Russell has been on losing teams and has not developed.  

It still blows my mind that anyone would intentionally build this type of environment while preaching player development.

Ingram improved alot last year...Lavine was looking great before the injury..Wiggins and Russell werent that good to begin with imo..

• Premium Member

Didn't it take us like a week or so before we began signing FAs last year? I think that's right.

If we make *any* move in the near future, it will almost certainly be a bad contract trade that yields to us a draft pick.

I see our boys over at Peachtree are dreaming up some things in that vein, or perhaps more accurately, expounding on some dreams already put out there...

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/1/17523332/atlanta-hawks-trade-denver-nuggets-salary-cap-luxury-tax-wilson-chandler-kenneth-faried

vor 1 Stunde, TheNorthCydeRises sagte:

As for that quote, I think he means that anyone that watches the entire NBA, or even follows college bball would know that LaVine was an elite athlete, and not just a solid one.

At least one person gets it. Kinda proving my point 8)

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Ingram improved alot last year...Lavine was looking great before the injury..Wiggins and Russell werent that good to begin with imo..

Ingram went from a very negative player to a mildly negative player.  Lavine went from a slightly negative player to a very negative player.

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ingram went from a very negative player to a mildly negative player.  Lavine went from a slightly negative player to a very negative player.

No they didn’t. Wrong again. Lies.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I see our boys over at Peachtree are dreaming up some things in that vein, or perhaps more accurately, expounding on some dreams already put out there...

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/1/17523332/atlanta-hawks-trade-denver-nuggets-salary-cap-luxury-tax-wilson-chandler-kenneth-faried

Peachtree Hoops keeps pushing this narrative hard.  I know Schlenk has said that he is willing to take on salary for asset but he also said the same during the draft process and it didn't happen.  Heck he was trying to clear salary by shipping out Baze so I'm not so sure that its a forgone conclusion that we are going to fill this team with a bunch of Plumlee contracts over the next few years for late 1st round picks.  Of course anyone would pull the trigger on a deal that blows you away like an unprotected 1st and Wilson Chandler. 

• Admin

Honestly a good pairing for Young might be Marcus Smart ... he isn’t the greatest shooter but we now have a lot of those and his shooting can be improved.  He would be a secondary ball handler and can also switch to pg and could excel in a run and gun offense but most importantly is that he is an absolute bull dog on D.  He can play the opposing teams sg or pg and can help make up for Trae’s horrid defense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Of course anyone would pull the trigger on a deal that blows you away like an unprotected 1st and Wilson Chandler. 

Only because you could then flip Chandler for more assets.

I don’t wanna be players just yet but what’s taking so long for the rest of the league and the trades? I mean, teams are signing free agents, maybe about a handful or so to start but no trades or anything. Comon it’s a slow Sunday afternoon, let’s go National Babies association. (A fan but a bitter one at that I gotta tell ya, F Adam Silver and his ventriloquist).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Peachtree Hoops keeps pushing this narrative hard.  I know Schlenk has said that he is willing to take on salary for asset but he also said the same during the draft process and it didn't happen.  Heck he was trying to clear salary by shipping out Baze so I'm not so sure that its a forgone conclusion that we are going to fill this team with a bunch of Plumlee contracts over the next few years for late 1st round picks.  Of course anyone would pull the trigger on a deal that blows you away like an unprotected 1st and Wilson Chandler. 

Chandler, Faried and Arthur are all exporing contracts after this year.   Mason Plumlee has an additional year at $14 mil.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Chandler, Faried and Arthur are all exporing contracts after this year.   Mason Plumlee has an additional year at $14 mil.

My point is the tempting deal is Chandler...Not the others