• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Free Agency, July 1st....let the games begin

JayBirdHawk

Zach Lavine is the poster child for why great athleticism does not equate to being a great basketball player.  Lavine is a non-winning player in the NBA.  He will tantilize you with his athleticism, but he does very little that actually contributes to winning.  

• Like 1

Regarding LaVine: as much as I like him, I don't think he makes sense for us past a 6th man type role. He doesn't have a starters game. He basically J.R. Smith which can be effective sometimes, but more often than not he'll be a net negative. Really disappointed with how he played in Chicago. I wouldn't pay him more than the 15 million Chicago will likely match, he's just not worth more at this point. He'd fit what we're doing, but considering we'll likely take a SG in the next draft, we don't need to put more money in that position.

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Zach Lavine is the poster child for why great athleticism does not equate to being a great basketball player.  Lavine is a non-winning player in the NBA.  He will tantilize you with his athleticism, but he does very little that actually contributes to winning.  

Not true. Has he only been on losing squads, yes. The rebuilding Wolves and rebuilding Bulls.

But does that mean he couldn’t be a piece on a winning team? Who knows.

Kids got a great work ethic and has improved his ball handling and shooting since entering the league.

I wouldn’t build a team around him, but I could see putting him around a franchise piece.

At worst he is JR Smith. A guy you look at and say will never win in this league. But on a contender he becomes a vital role player that gives you bursts of scoring when you r top dawgs are off.

I wouldn’t pay him the money it would take to get him from Chicago. But I would not write him off as a loser so early in his career when he has only been on young rebuilding teams.

• Like 1

Oh crap...what the Migos want..they get..

The NBA is a Business

The NBA is a business and Lavine is a product of that business. He was a great face of the Bulls in his short time in Chicago, even appearing in a commercial alongside Migos. And while he produced off the court and in spurts on the court, we never got to see the Zach Lavine that had media and players raving in his early Timberwolves career.

Honestly guys. Even though its just a rumor. I have to think of are we trying to build or sell tickets. Although im coming around to liking Trae Young. These moves sound like "excitement" moves but not necessarily (eventual)winning moves 

44 minutes ago, kurupt said:

Zach "he was once considered a solid Athlete" Lavine . That right there sums up what most people here know about basketball.

I know all about the Lavine; and if not injured in 2016/17 he was headed for a breakout season. I guess you are another "wanna be smart ass super scout" who can only make snide comments instead of posting something meaningful.

Welcome to the Squawk!

29 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Regarding LaVine: as much as I like him, I don't think he makes sense for us past a 6th man type role. He doesn't have a starters game. He basically J.R. Smith which can be effective sometimes, but more often than not he'll be a net negative. Really disappointed with how he played in Chicago. I wouldn't pay him more than the 15 million Chicago will likely match, he's just not worth more at this point. He'd fit what we're doing, but considering we'll likely take a SG in the next draft, we don't need to put more money in that position.

Once again,  Lavine is in the same boat as Dennis.  Young teams don't win in this league, especially there are no quality vets to show them how to be a pro.  

It took Olidipo playing with Russell to see how he was supposed to play.  So when he got another chance to be "the man", he flourished in that role.

59 minutes ago, kurupt said:

Zach "he was once considered a solid Athlete" Lavine . That right there sums up what most people here know about basketball.

So are you bitter that Dennis is the odd man out or are you..Dennis??? Skeet skeet N

21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, Devin Booker is apparently upset at the Phoenix Suns management for releasing his best friend Tyler Ulis.  

Wtf? This is the NBA, not AAU. lol

I'm telling y'all, we really need to go after Cousins. His demand isn't that high right now. The Pelicans don't want to pay him and the Lakers are primarily focused on LeBron. I guess we'd need to move Muscala or another contract for cap space, but taking a gamble with Cousins would have a much better potential return than taking on garbage contracts (only deal I've seen with more potential is Ingram + Deng).

A two year deal would work for us and Cousins. We wouldn't get much out of him this season which would maintain the tank. The following season though, even if we get Cousins at 80% that's a near 20-10 big with a 3pt shot and I suppose mediocre defense.

He may never be the same after the Achilles injury, but if anyone knows what it takes to bounce back from that it would be Dominique. Cousins is from Alabama too, which I think would help our cause. I realize we're not an attractive free agent destination, but Cousins is damaged goods and teams are treating him as such.

Once again,  Lavine is in the same boat as Dennis.  Young teams don't win in this league, especially there are no quality vets to show them how to be a pro.  

It took Olidipo playing with Russell to see how he was supposed to play.  So when he got another chance to be "the man", he flourished in that role.

I agree, but who do we have that is going to teach him how to play? Bazemore is a good locker room veteran, but when it comes to basketball he's just as lost. Considering the fact that we'll likely draft a SG or SF at the top of the draft I would just be wary of us commiting money to him long term. A 2 year deal though would make sense to see what we can do with him.

30 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

The interest in Lavine is most likely to drive up his price before he re-signs with Chicago, a team that also has functional cap space to take on crappy contracts in exchange for draft picks.

Hope you are right about this.  Makes sense 

25 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I'm telling y'all, we really need to go after Cousins. His demand isn't that high right now. The Pelicans don't want to pay him and the Lakers are primarily focused on LeBron. I guess we'd need to move Muscala or another contract for cap space, but taking a gamble with Cousins would have a much better potential return than taking on garbage contracts (only deal I've seen with more potential is Ingram + Deng).

A two year deal would work for us and Cousins. We wouldn't get much out of him this season which would maintain the tank. The following season though, even if we get Cousins at 80% that's a near 20-10 big with a 3pt shot and I suppose mediocre defense.

He may never be the same after the Achilles injury, but if anyone knows what it takes to bounce back from that it would be Dominique. Cousins is from Alabama too, which I think would help our cause. I realize we're not an attractive free agent destination, but Cousins is damaged goods and teams are treating him as such.

Thing about Cousins is...as good as his stats are...it doesn’t seem to really translate into winning basketball. I don’t hate your idea, but I also don’t think he’s the leader this team needs.

• Like 1

Thing about Cousins is...as good as his stats are...it doesn’t seem to really translate into winning basketball. I don’t hate your idea, but I also don’t think he’s the leader this team needs.

If we're talking about an emotional, pouty Cousins then yes, that's not a player that's winning much. I just think that that he's matured enough that if we came in aggressively and tried to sell him on the idea that we believe he'll bounce back and we want to bring him on board, we'd be getting motivated Cousins by year 2. And if he's a malcontent, we haven't mortgaged our whole future on him. I do realize he's not the type of center that would flourish in a high tempo offense, but he'd be worth switching our philosophy for.

27 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Cousins is also a headache when he is on a losing team.

Don't think he would want to come here anyways being the Hawks don't have a contending culture established yet.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Pass on Lavine.

Pass on Cousins.

What do you think of Jabari Parker(who is a RFA)?

I have a friend who is a Bulls fan(funny due to the whole D.Rose stuff) that thinks that he could still become a superstar despite the 2 knee injuries.

He wants Parker to come home. If you were the Bulls, would you give it a shot?