• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hope we try to be competitive this year

bleachkit

I know we are year two in the rebuild, which is normally another tank year. But I would prefer we just really try to win games this year. With the new lottery system going into effect, all the bottom teams have about the same odds anyways. But even more important than that is losing is not good for the culture or development of young players. I hope we do not tank, or at least not until late in the year. Feeling annoyed when the team wins was not a good feeling for me, and I'd prefer to going back to rooting for a win every game.

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I know we are year two in the rebuild, which is normally another tank year. But I would prefer we just really try to win games this year. With the new lottery system going into effect, all the bottom teams have about the same odds anyways. But even more important than that is losing is not good for the culture or development of young players. I hope we do not tank, or at least not until late in the year. Feeling annoyed when the team wins was not a good feeling for me, and I'd prefer to going back to rooting for a win every game.

Travis Schlenk is stupid, so this is another tank year.  Next year will be a tank year as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Hate it for you (for all of us really), but this team is going to be really really bad.

Hopefully Young makes it fun to watch at least.

3 minutes ago, ATLBob said:

Hate it for you (for all of us really), but this team is going to be really really bad.

Hopefully Young makes it fun to watch at least.

Losing is never fun to watch.  This is going to be a miserable season.  Absolutely miserable.  Next year will too.

• Like 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Losing is never fun to watch.  This is going to be a miserable season.  Absolutely miserable.  Next year will too.

Sad for you if you can’t enjoy watching good young talent develop. If you want mediocre playoff ball, I suggest following Miami.  We will be losing this year but I am looking forward to watching our rookies and at least Prince and Collins.  Bembry, Dedmon, and Baze are also on my list.  Waiting to see if we add an enticing free agent of interest ala Dedmon as well.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Sad for you if you can’t enjoy watching good young talent develop. If you want mediocre playoff ball, I suggest following Miami.  We will be losing this year but I am looking forward to watching our rookies and at least Prince and Collins.  Bembry, Dedmon, and Baze are also on my list.  Waiting to see if we add an enticing free agent of interest ala Dedmon as well.

It's not going to be fun to watch young talent throw the ball out of bounds and bounce it off their foot as they try to push the pace of play, with the result being around 18 wins.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

What are our chances of a defensive big like Noel with the Lloyd Pierce connection? 

I think this would go a long way for our team defensively as he can switch on the perimeter and rim protect, although I would abhor switching on the perimeter and screens with TY.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, AHF said:

Regardless of what I might hope or not, I would bet a lot of money Schlenk has zero intention of being anywhere but in the lottery next year.

Y'all act like winning and losing is somehow orchestrated by the GM while the players and coaching staff have no role in outcomes.  I find this way of thinking very strange

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all act like winning and losing is somehow orchestrated by the GM while the players and coaching staff have no role in outcomes.  I find this way of thinking very strange

That's because it is.

From the player's stand point, they are young.  They can play their assess off, and it isn't going to matter.  They are young, and they do not know how to win at this level.  

Secondly, from a coaching standpoint, the ONLY reason Lloyd Pierce is the head coach is because he will do nothing from a scheme standpoint to slow down the tank.  If you actually think he's a rising star as a head coach, then I have some land to sell to you.

I posted this in the wrong thread:

It is going to be interesting to see the direction we take at the start of the season. We still need to work free agency but below is what I see so far. That team could win 30 games; but I would bet we start tank mode again sometime in December. The catch 22 to tanking is if we want to showcase Dennis and Baze as trade bait, the wins may come more often than what management wants.

PG Schröder, Young

SG Bazemore, Dorsey, Huerter

SF Prince, Bembry,  Bazemore, Huerter

PF Collins, Moose, Spellman

C Dedmon, Moose, Plumlee, Collins

Unless I am missing someone that is 11 players on guaranteed money for this season. Moose has yet to opt in.

After the all star break, if we want to go into full blown tank mode, here is one starting lineup:

PG Young

SG Huerter

SF Prince

PF Spellman

C Collins

Similar to last season, I can see Dedmon, Moose, Plumlee and Dorsey getting random starts and DNPs. Quite possibly plugging in a vet for one of Young, Huerter, or Spellman to add a little more veteran leadership. Bazemore and Schröder, if still here, will also have those phantom DNPs just like last season.

Spellman is the wild card in all this. If he turns out to be a decent rookie, I am going to want to see how he fares playing beside Prince and Collins,

With Menace, Gaze, and Ded all being possible trade targets with something to prove, this team will win more games than everyone thinks before the deadline. Menace, Gaze, Printz, J-Bap, Dedmon Walking could be hovering around 8th-10th before the trigger is pulled. Then I could see Young’n, The Huert, Printz, Cala-Omari, and J-Bap starting lineups landing Hawks around 6th or 7th in the lottery. Since odds are more in those slots’ favor with the rule change. They win more games than last year, but not 30.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hazer said:

With Menace, Gaze, and Ded all being possible trade targets with something to prove, this team will win more games than everyone thinks before the deadline. Menace, Gaze, Printz, J-Bap, Dedmon Walking could be hovering around 8th-10th before the trigger is pulled. Then I could see Young’n, The Huert, Printz, Cala-Omari, and J-Bap starting lineups landing Hawks around 6th or 7th in the lottery. Since odds are more in those slots’ favor with the rule change. They win more games than last year, but not 30.

All depends on Pierce really, and how he performs as a rookie coach.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's because it is.

From the player's stand point, they are young.  They can play their assess off, and it isn't going to matter.  They are young, and they do not know how to win at this level.  

Secondly, from a coaching standpoint, the ONLY reason Lloyd Pierce is the head coach is because he will do nothing from a scheme standpoint to slow down the tank.  If you actually think he's a rising star as a head coach, then I have some land to sell to you.

You make a lot of definitive statements for someone who has been wrong a lot...maybe you should slow down a little.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You make a lot of definitive statements for someone who has been wrong a lot...maybe you should slow down a little.

I've yet to be wrong about anything.

As an aside, Givony has a two round mock draft up for 2019.

The Hawks are projected to have the #1 overall pick.  They have Dallas projected 4th, so in that case, we would not get the pick.  Cleveland is projected 14th, so that pick conveys in this mock draft.