• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hope we try to be competitive this year

bleachkit

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . come on now.

Image result for omar epps gif

While you've been right on the money about mostly HAWKS related stuff, you've pretty much taken every chance possible to interject your opposing opinion about the direction of the Hawks.

Unlike the others, I can at least admit that you've been right a lot, especially recently.   You're also the runaway favorite to win Hawksquawk Antagonist of the Year.

5-Star post. And KB is right plenty often. That’s not the issue ?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You do realize that Golden State's highest pick was #6 during their rebuild.

Some don't and they do not realize that Houston has not had a #1 pick since 2002. And the Boston run with Paul Pierce at #10. Or Miami put their run together by starting with DWade at #5. Or Lakers with Kobe at #13. Or Dallas with Dirk at #9. Philidephia's way is not the best way. I think most past champions would agree with that.

I think Schlenk knows all this history and understands the more high picks you have the better chance you have of getting one or two franchise changing type players. But he also knows that player is sometimes missed until you get to 5 - 15.

Thanks to the extra picks we have, I wouldn't stress so much about tanking. We'll finish in the lottery, but I'd feel better about being the 6th or 7th worst team if we've got all those other picks too. Just play the young guys and see what happens (hint: it won't be pretty, but it'll be exciting).

I'd try to filter all of our cap and vets into future picks if we can manage it.

5 minutes ago, kerrypack said:

save money for talent on the roster...

Some of it. But the point is leave space for a superstar signing, if you can attract one. Schlenk will need to keep hitting on picks, those picks will need to be developing into all stars, the Hawks will have to be back in the playoffs, and Pierce will have to be showing prowess as a good to great coach. NBA stars already want to and go live here. Give them an excuse to sign here too.

15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You do realize that Golden State's highest pick was #6 during their rebuild.

You do realize the Hawks aren't Golden State and have no assets to mention.  The way to do this is to collect as many picks as you can, hit on some and in the future when you're good, keep getting those top draft picks from trades that were made in the past.   

I get it. You don't want to lose next year, but what's the point of being mediocre next year when you only drafted the three guys the Hawks drafted.  If they turn out to be superstars next year, by all means try to win.  The chances of that are minimal.  

Next year is the year to be at the top again, because  the Hawks potentially have three lottery picks and can make trades to collect more picks for the future.  I'm being realistic and hoping they don't rush it and have 10 years of horrible basketball. 

Also, just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't give you the right to be snarky.   I don't come at you that way, so don't come at me that way and I'm referring to your post before this one.  

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Some of it. But the point is leave space for a superstar signing, if you can attract one. Schlenk will need to keep hitting on picks, those picks will need to be developing into all stars, the Hawks will have to be back in the playoffs, and Pierce will have to be showing prowess as a good to great coach. NBA stars already want to and go live here. Give them an excuse to sign here too.

I’m speaking of 2020 signing(s). Save your money until then.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You do realize the Hawks aren't Golden State and have no assets to mention.  The way to do this is to collect as many picks as you can, hit on some and in the future when you're good, keep getting those top draft picks from trades that were made in the past.   

We have more assets than the Warriors had when Curry was drafted

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You do realize the Hawks aren't Golden State and have no assets to mention. 

This Fan base is frustrating.  We have 6 1st round pick over the this year and next but yet we have no assests???

Just now, Peoriabird said:

This Fan base is frustrating.  We have 6 1st round pick over the this year and next but yet we have no assests???

Yeah and having the #1 pick as opposed to the 17th is a lot more valuable.   Why are you being so obtuse? I explained to you the reasoning they would want to be at the top of the draft next year. 

Tell me this. Since they have such lovely assets, what would Dennis and Baze get the Hawks?  Having draft picks and players doesn't mean a hill beans if no one is willing to take them from you for a player of worth or a better pick. 

Here's my take on this upcoming season.

Say the Hawks are playing just below .500 ball, but have seen a tremendous spike in attendance in November and December.  If this is the case, I do not believe that Ressler will let Schlenk trade off some of our young "veterans", in order to stick with the tank plan.   If anything, he'll sign off to trade them for proven veteran players, not more draft capital, to make the team better, not worse.

Most NBA owners may be on board with the tank, when winning is far fetched.  But after a couple of seasons, the bottom line of the business starts to rule decision making, and the need to win, even if it means being mediocre, becomes priority #1.  Selling "hope" to the fans will override "building a champion through the draft".

If Trae proves to be a box office attraction, this may accelerate moving Dennis.   But if the increased attendance is brought on by the "new look" arena, and by the fact that the Hawks are more competitive because the young vets are playing much better, they will less likely be traded off for future assets.

Last season, when the Hawks won their 1st game, but proceeded to lose 12 of their next 13, it was easy to embrace the tank.   Let's see if the tank is embraced, if the Hawks are 7 - 8 going into December, and say 14 - 18 by Christmas.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Thanks to the extra picks we have, I wouldn't stress so much about tanking. We'll finish in the lottery, but I'd feel better about being the 6th or 7th worst team if we've got all those other picks too. Just play the young guys and see what happens (hint: it won't be pretty, but it'll be exciting).

I'd try to filter all of our cap and vets into future picks if we can manage it.

You and @Peoriabird are of the same mindset here; and this is similar to what I think. I think we will start trying to compete and market the team. I see 30 wins at least and that would have been a 11th seed in the East last year.Two things that could change this are:

A big injury to a key player.

The other possibility is Dennis and Bazemore are traded and we are starting one of the youngest teams in the history of the NBA, This will not be a tank mode by design but a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players are not going to help Prince and Dedmon win many games,

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yeah and having the #1 pick as opposed to the 17th is a lot more valuable.   Why are you being so obtuse? I explained to you the reasoning they would want to be at the top of the draft next year. 

Tell me this. Since they have such lovely assets, what would Dennis and Baze get the Hawks?  Having draft picks and players doesn't mean a hill beans if no one is willing to take them from you for a player of worth or a better pick. 

Didn't we just turn the #3 pick into 2 assets?  There are other players on the team like Prince, Collins and Dedmon right?  Dennis is an asset which would increase in value if he was featured properly.  Even if we ended up in the playoffs which is unlikely we still have the Cavs and Maverick pick which are asset.  Lord have mercy!!!!

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You do realize the Hawks aren't Golden State and have no assets to mention. 

Hawks have assets: Prince, Collins, our 3 1sts this year and the 3 1st next year and CAPSPACE.

Now they need to turn into something special on the court.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Here's my take on this upcoming season.

Say the Hawks are playing just below .500 ball, but have seen a tremendous spike in attendance in November and December.  If this is the case, I do not believe that Ressler will let Schlenk trade off some of our young "veterans", in order to stick with the tank plan.   If anything, he'll sign off to trade them for proven veteran players, not more draft capital, to make the team better, not worse.

You must have inside info. like Supes because no one else is aware of this secret plan to tank this year.

22 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I get it. You don't want to lose next year, but what's the point of being mediocre next year when you only drafted the three guys the Hawks drafted.  If they turn out to be superstars next year, by all means try to win.  The chances of that are minimal.  

Next year is the year to be at the top again, because  the Hawks potentially have three lottery picks and can make trades to collect more picks for the future.  I'm being realistic and hoping they don't rush it and have 10 years of horrible basketball. 

Also, just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't give you the right to be snarky.   I don't come at you that way, so don't come at me that way and I'm referring to your post before this one.  

Are you going to buy season tickets to watch those 10 years of horrible basketball?  How about 5 years?

If this team isn't showing progress to at least reaching mediocre status by the end of the 2020 season, the coach AND the GM's job will be in jeopardy.

This is a business that sells entertainment.  Losing for years on end is NOT entertaining.  Ask Minnesota and Sacramento.  Those franchises will NEVER tank again, if their current crop of guys doesn't reach championship level.  They'll be content being where Portland is right now . . a good regular season team that can at least challenge the big boys, but really have no shot to beat them. 

• Premium Member

Until Free Agency is complete we don't have any idea what the EXACT plan or roster will be.

Bazemore and Dennis were on the block during the draft, so there is still a chance they can be moved when FA starts. Just remember that players selected in the draft can still be traded as long as they haven't signed their contracts (if signed they can't be traded for 30 days, I think).

All Schlenk has said so far is we won't be big players in signing big FAs, said they'll wait it out and sign a couple guys to supplement the roster.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

You and @Peoriabird are of the same mindset here; and this is similar to what I think. I think we will start trying to compete and market the team. I see 30 wins at least and that would have been a 11th seed in the East last year.Two things that could change this are:

A big injury to a key player.

The other possibility is Dennis and Bazemore are traded and we are starting one of the youngest teams in the history of the NBA, This will not be a tank mode by design but a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players are not going to help Prince and Dedmon win many games,

Fans especially Hawk fan are such extremist.  Either they want to win championships or win 1 game.  And they think that business owner think like them which can't be further from the truth.  The Hawks are in the entertainment business and it would be very unwise to continue to put out bad entertainment.  They have enough right now to feature a very entertaining product so that is what's going to happen. I know all of y'all want Dennis and Baze gone some for personal reasons like fulfilling some predictions but it seems as though Schlenk is more pragmatic than some of y'all.  Dennis may get traded but it won't happen unless Schlenk wins the trade.  Howard was an anomaly because he had to go and didn't contribute to winning and was old.  Plus Schlenk took a PR hit for it and learned his lesson.  From here on out, Schlenk will do what's best for the team.  We should start to trust him because he has come through with 2 drafts in a row.  Even KB admits that he is has a great eye for talent.

10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Are you going to buy season tickets to watch those 10 years of horrible basketball?  How about 5 years?

If this team isn't showing progress to at least reaching mediocre status by the end of the 2020 season, the coach AND the GM's job will be in jeopardy.

This is a business that sells entertainment.  Losing for years on end is NOT entertaining.  Ask Minnesota and Sacramento.  Those franchises will NEVER tank again, if their current crop of guys doesn't reach championship level.  They'll be content being where Portland is right now . . a good regular season team that can at least challenge the big boys, but really have no shot to beat them. 

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.  The reason Minnesota and Sacremento are where they are is because they tried to end their tank job before they had the right talent to do so.  They traded young talent for veterans and still sucked.  I want the Hawks to build through the draft and if a superstar is available, yes trade for him.  But don't go out and get someone that won't move the needle either way and give away one of your young players or picks for them.  Doing that will cause you to be terrible. 

All I've said is one more year of bad basketball is reasonable, before they start trying to move the needle in the other direction.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Until Free Agency is complete we don't have any idea what the EXACT plan or roster will be.

Bazemore and Dennis were on the block during the draft, so there is still a chance they can be moved when FA starts. Just remember that players selected in the draft can still be traded as long as they haven't signed their contracts (if signed they can't be traded for 30 days, I think).

All Schlenk has said so far is we won't be big players in signing big FAs, said they'll wait it out and sign a couple guys to supplement the roster.

Bazemore was the only one mentioned in trade negotiations but that was for a specific reason. Dennis' name was not included in any know trade deals but like I said, Y'all keep think that Schlenk just wants to trade Dennis and baze at all cost but I don't think this is the case.  So I assume they both will be on the opening day roster this year.