• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dallas and Cleveland 1st round picks

hawkster911

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

Hawks just went from 2 lottery picks and a mid 20s pick to just 2 lottery picks. Sux, but the 2 lottery picks will do.

Put me on record as saying Cavs pick turns out to be #15 overall! They get the 8th seed in the east post Lebron!

• Like 4

Okay so lets think about the East logically.  Color Key - red is gets worse, grey is stays the same, green is gets better, purple is questions abound.

Charlotte - takes a step back

Brooklyn - stays the same 

Chicago - minor step back

Hawks - depends on future moves

Detroit - step forward

Indiana - depends on future moves

Miami - minor step back

Milwaukee - depends on Jabari Parker

Knicks - who the hell knows

Orlando - might get better but not better than the Cavs

Philly - small step forward (depends on Reddick/player health).

Toronto - needs to drop salary...will step back

Washington - who the hell knows - they have cap/LT issues.

So what does this color mess mean?

Charlotte, Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta all remain worse than Cleveland.  NY and Brooklyn may or may not be better than Cleveland. For now lets say worse.

That makes Cleveland (worse case scenario) the 7th worst team in the East. Last year 5 teams finished with 35 or less wins (one is LA).  That makes Cleveland...by conservative estimates, the 11th worst team in the league. Assuming they don't sell assets, assuming no team is hit by the injury bug and gets pushed down the list and assuming no other team decides to tank because now the West is heavy and whats the point of competing for the next 3 years....Cleveland at this point seems like a lock to not be 10th worst and to convey the pick.

• Like 1

That is funky logic.  The problem is if they are in the #11 slot at the all star break.  Then they will shut down players and go into tank mode.  

My hope is they play for pride and are in the 7/8 slot fighting for a playoff berth down to the wire.  It’s possible.  Then we could have 3 picks at the top half of the draft.  

Cleveland may also not be able to resign Rodney Hood without going into the luxury tax area.  Now, maybe they do it and trade off other contracts at a later date, but if I were Travis Schlenk (which I'm not, as I'm a lot smarter), I'd make an offer to Rodney Hood.

25 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

Well, perhaps in a dadaist absurdist reality, with only PHI, BOS, DC, and Indy actually seemingly playoff bound in the East, the competition for tanking will overwhelm the Cavs.  Then again, we well might sneak into the 8th with a 26 win record as well.

Gotta admit, I’m not as convinced of the level of sucktitude of the Hawks as I was initially.  In the East, the Hawks look decent with another solid vet...I agree...they could be terrible and flirt with a playoff spot.  Of course we’d lose and KB can maintain happiness of a playoff berth. Woo hoo. 

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Cleveland may also not be able to resign Rodney Hood without going into the luxury tax area.  Now, maybe they do it and trade off other contracts at a later date, but if I were Travis Schlenk (which I'm not, as I'm a lot smarter), I'd make an offer to Rodney Hood.

Why?

For better or worse (I get it, you think 'worse'), the decision to tank has been made.  Signing Hood is an 'in-between', indecisive move.

The die has been cast, at this point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Why?

For better or worse (I get it, you think 'worse'), the decision to tank has been made.  Signing Hood is an 'in-between', indecisive move.

Exactly!!! All in for my Hawks! 

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Why?

Because he is a quality player who can shoot the basketball well, is still young, and he's from Mississippi and played for a brief time at Mississippi State.  :approved:

Just now, KB21 said:

Because he is a quality player who can shoot the basketball well, is still young, and he's from Mississippi and played for a brief time at Mississippi State.  :approved:

He's also going to be looking for big bucks which we shouldn't be paying at this point in the 'build.

And how dare you?  Bumping a guy just 'cause he went to the school you root for.  Shameless.

... oh and, on a totally unrelated note, I think we should max out Favors, Shumpert and trade 2 1sts to pry Okogie from MIN. :cool:

35 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He's also going to be looking for big bucks which we shouldn't be paying at this point in the 'build.

And how dare you?  Bumping a guy just 'cause he went to the school you root for.  Shameless.

... oh and, on a totally unrelated note, I think we should max out Favors, Shumpert and trade 2 1sts to pry Okogie from MIN. :cool:

I've said it before, Favors and Hood would be the players I targeted in free agency instead of taking on a bad contract.  I'd rather win 30 games next year than 18.

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I've said it before, Favors and Hood would be the players I targeted in free agency instead of taking on a bad contract.  I'd rather win 30 games next year than 18.

Hey, don't think you're gonna get on my bad side by talking up the Techies .... now, if you tell me we need to pick up Jarrett Jack ....

Seriously though, I felt how you feel years ago when folks called for us to tank.  Now, I get it (i.e. tanking).  As long as we don't totally devolve into @Spud2nique church ball level of play, I'm fine with us taking a few years off in the name of asset-building.  Anyway, I feel this is sliding into the tank-discussion so I'll bow out before the "mods" get their collective jimmies rustled ...

Then again, here's @AHF diligently at "work" so ...

Dorothy Sleeping

Wake up, alice

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hey, don't think you're gonna get on my bad side by talking up the Techies .... now, if you tell me we need to pick up Jarrett Jack ....

Seriously though, I felt how you feel years ago when folks called for us to tank.  Now, I get it (i.e. tanking).  As long as we don't totally devolve into @Spud2nique church ball level of play, I'm fine with us taking a few years off in the name of asset-building.  Anyway, I feel this is sliding into the tank-discussion so I'll bow out before the "mods" get their collective jimmies rustled ...

Then again, here's @AHF diligently at "work" so ...

Dorothy Sleeping

Wake up, alice

Also, it's not just the school I root for.  I'm an alumnus.  Class of 2002.  BS in Biochemistry.

• Admin

Orlando is a mess and Atl is going to be gunning for the worst record in the league next year ... so there are two teams guaranteed to be worse then the Cavs.

Chicago is young but does have some talent if they sign their guys back.  Charlotte's situation depends on what they do with Walker.  Brooklyn has been looking for ways to improve as has NY ... They may be better then Cleveland next year ...

Out west its a crap shoot too ... I don't know if we will Cavs pick next year.  The following year they might be even worse.  

I am not opposed to using that as a trade chip (in combo with moving Dennis or Baz for a young player) 

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Orlando is a mess and Atl is going to be gunning for the worst record in the league next year ... so there are two teams guaranteed to be worse then the Cavs.

Chicago is young but does have some talent if they sign their guys back.  Charlotte's situation depends on what they do with Walker.  Brooklyn has been looking for ways to improve as has NY ... They may be better then Cleveland next year ...

Out west its a crap shoot too ... I don't know if we will Cavs pick next year.  The following year they might be even worse.  

I am not opposed to using that as a trade chip (in combo with moving Dennis or Baz for a young player) 

Porzingis is going to be out a big portion of the year for New York.  That will definitely effect them.  Atlanta and Orlando are squarely at the bottom of the east.  After that, you have Charlotte, New York, Chicago, Brooklyn, and Cleveland, who will all be probably within 5 games of each other.  The chances of that pick conveying are very small at this point.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Porzingis is going to be out a big portion of the year for New York.  That will definitely effect them.  Atlanta and Orlando are squarely at the bottom of the east.  After that, you have Charlotte, New York, Chicago, Brooklyn, and Cleveland, who will all be probably within 5 games of each other.  The chances of that pick conveying are very small at this point.

I am not optimistic about getting the pick ... 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

IIRC Cavs have about $12 mil in capspace to resign Hood without going over the Luxury Tax.

They can cut salary by moving GHill to the Magic who are in desperate need of a PG for Vucevic to clear their big man log jam.

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Why?

Say it again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Also, it's not just the school I root for.  I'm an alumnus.  Class of 2002.  BS in Biochemistry.

I graduated ... -er- ... 'got out' of Tech too but, for some reason, I don't feel the need to make the distinction between that and the fact that I root for them.

C'mon KBT, you're better than that.

15 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I would love for Korver to get a ring somewhere 

He couldn't get one in Cleveland? With LeBron James? I'm starting to think it wasn't meant for him. If he added 3 or 4 big games during any of the last finals he played he could have easily got one. He didn't do it.