• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are We Sure ... the Hawks Know What They’re Doing?

HawkItus

Many are under the false impression that My-Name-Is-Luka is a good 3pt shooter. He is not. Even from a shorter distance arc.

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

This is true.  Doncic has played against BETTER competition than any college prospect we could have drafted, and he dominated that BETTER competition as an 18 year old player.  If Doncic had been playing ball in the NCAA, he would have run away with the Player of the Year  honors.....as an 18 year old player.

And I'm saying this as a person who had Trae Young 3rd on my draft board.  My draft board was:

1.  Luka Doncic

----------------

2.  Jaren Jackson Jr

3.  Trae Young

-------------------

4.  Wendell Carter Jr.

:laugh:

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Fran Fraschilla was literally one the highest experts on Doncic and even he doesn't believe he'll be a Superstar. The people that think he's transcendent will be highly disappointed. I think this is a balanced opinion of what he can be that doesn't write off all his flaws by saying hey but he was Euro league MVP at 18. Being MVP at 18 is impressive,  but lets not act like he wasn't in position to play more Euro minutes than any young player I can remember. Young Euros even when good usually have their minutes capped by vetrean seniority system. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/college-hoops-analyst-not-overhype-luka-doncic-article-1.3954919%3foutputType=amp

Most drafts don't have a transcendent superstar.  Nobody is currently projected to a transcendent superstar from this class.  The Tim Duncans, Shaqs, LeBrons who project to be transcendent superstars before they enter the NBA are pretty rare.

The funny thing here is I haven't said one thing about Doncic being a superstar in this thread.  I've not made one criticism of people saying they don't think his game will translate to the NBA.

The only thing I've criticized is the ridiculous dismissals of his pretty stellar pre-NBA resume.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AHF said:

Most drafts don't have a transcendent superstar.  Nobody is currently projected to a transcendent superstar from this class.  The Tim Duncans, Shaqs, LeBrons who project to be transcendent superstars before they enter the NBA are pretty rare.

The funny thing here is I haven't said one thing about Doncic being a superstar in this thread.  I've not made one criticism of people saying they don't think his game will translate to the NBA.

The only thing I've criticized is the ridiculous dismissals of his pretty stellar pre-NBA resume.

Nobody is dismissing his resume. Most people are just saying it means jack squat when it comes to the NBA. Same as Trae Young’s PotY. What he did as a teenager amongst men is incredible. How can anyone argue against that ? 

• Moderators

I was ecstatic with the selection of Trae.  Plus we got a good first next year out of the deal.   I've got nothing against Luka.  I'm sure he'll be a solid NBA player but Trae is the one guy that has the chance to be a superstar.  The type of star that gets casual fan's attention.   I see a lot of people saying 'trae is more talented than i thought'.   The kid got as much negative attention in college as positive, but if you look at him play you realize how astounding his offensive skillset is for his age.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AHF said:

Can't wait to see him against real competition and not losers like Russell Westbrook or when he played against Marc Gasol or when he played against Porzingas.  If he had only played against Kansas State, we would truly know how good he is.

Different game over there.....Game is ALOT slower..

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Nobody is dismissing his resume. Most people are just saying it means jack squat when it comes to the NBA. Same as Trae Young’s PotY. What he did as a teenager amongst men is incredible. How can anyone argue against that ? 

I'm not dismissing your post.  I'm just saying it doesn't mean jack squat.

12 hours ago, AHF said:

You think he played against Porzingas or the Gasol brothers in an exhibition?

Amazing how the excuses flow for the level of play in college compared to blowing off what is done against grown men.  I'm totally on board with recognizing that the NBA is the highest level of competition in the world but let's be real and admit Doncic's competition last year was tougher than college ball and his play in Europe was outstanding.  

Going then the notion that he could struggle in the NBA is fine with me.  Time will tell.  But the blowing off of what he has done to date is laughable.

Just because youre grown, doesnt mean you  can play..

Just now, terrell said:

Just because youre grown, doesnt mean you  can play..

One of my best friends son was an MVP candidate in Europe last year. He cant even get a phone call from the NBA atm..FACT...Not sayin Doncic wont be a good player in the league. Just sayin..Totally different game in Europe..

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not dismissing your post.  I'm just saying it doesn't mean jack squat.

Wait, you're saying his post doesn't mean jack squat?  That's harsh, man.

On Donc's resume, the only thing I reject is the notion that , based on his resume, he'll come into the NBA and be equally dominant.  To say it (his resume) means nothing isn't fair to say.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Calderon, Rubio, Ibaka, Mirotic, Hernan Gomez brothers, Navarro....all play for Spanish team and are on the NBA, the list is long... players with limited success at Spanish league and Euroleague have had succesful careers at NBA and none of them, Gasol brothers included showed the level of dominance of Doncic

Can’t argue against that. They’re all distinctly different from Doncic though.

I think this is completely dumb! Smh

i believe both players will be good in the nba at some point but not to make any excuses for Doncic but he has a better team around him and better finishers to get those assist up per game. And more distractions to get better scoring opportunities. He literally landed in the best spot possible.

The reason I believe Trae was our target over Doncic comes down to scoring ability. Trae can be a more deadly scorer than Doncic once he learns the nba and learns how to move off ball (the off ball movement will be KEY for Trae)

I said it before Doncic to me will never become a great scorer in the nba...I see him topping out at 17 points per game at the most. Of course that doesn’t mean he won’t be a all star player, to me he’s just one of those all around guys which I like but I can’t say it enough in order to truly compete or even be a real contender you have to have scorers...period.

with Dennis Smith Jr in Dallas, Doncic may not ever have to worry about those take over scoring moments in his career like Trae will experience this season coming up.

So so to say Doncic will have a better year...well yeah look who’s around him! He’s not in the same situation. He has a top finisher in Jordan, a high potential scorer in Dennis smith jr, a former yet still young champion in Harrison Barnes, and a hall of fame power forward to give him any all advice necessary in Dirk....plus a proven champion coach in Rick Carlisie .....DONCIC HAS EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO BE SUCCESSFUL FROM THE JUMPSTART.

Trae has to learn to be a leader right away so this isn’t a fair comparison based on the team rosters between our hawks and the mavs.

• Like 3

I won’t be scrutinizing the Doncic/ Young swap at all.  I think the promising 2019 First Round pick thrown in made it a no-brainer.  Plus the concerns about Doncic’s foot speed translation can’t be dismissed.  

His integration into an NBA team defensive scheme will be interesting, the addition of DeAndre was big.  I’m just totally off the Carlisle wagon and there are still more questions than answers on Dennis Smith Jr.  I’m guessing they’re going to let Barnes walk next summer if they have any brain matter.

Trae’s size is just as concerning but I’m very pleased with the work he’s done in a short time to get stronger.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think this is completely dumb! Smh

i believe both players will be good in the nba at some point but not to make any excuses for Doncic but he has a better team around him and better finishers to get those assist up per game. And more distractions to get better scoring opportunities. He literally landed in the best spot possible.

The reason I believe Trae was our target over Doncic comes down to scoring ability. Trae can be a more deadly scorer than Doncic once he learns the nba and learns how to move off ball (the off ball movement will be KEY for Trae)

I said it before Doncic to me will never become a great scorer in the nba...I see him topping out at 17 points per game at the most. Of course that doesn’t mean he won’t be a all star player, to me he’s just one of those all around guys which I like but I can’t say it enough in order to truly compete or even be a real contender you have to have scorers...period.

with Dennis Smith Jr in Dallas, Doncic may not ever have to worry about those take over scoring moments in his career like Trae will experience this season coming up.

So so to say Doncic will have a better year...well yeah look who’s around him! He’s not in the same situation. He has a top finisher in Jordan, a high potential scorer in Dennis smith jr, a former yet still young champion in Harrison Barnes, and a hall of fame power forward to give him any all advice necessary in Dirk....plus a proven champion coach in Rick Carlisie .....DONCIC HAS EVERYTHING HE NEEDS TO BE SUCCESSFUL FROM THE JUMPSTART.

Trae has to learn to be a leader right away so this isn’t a fair comparison based on the team rosters between our hawks and the mavs.

You like the Mavs roster?  I just peeped it and I certainly don’t.  Why did they draft Brunson after Smith and Doncic?  Who the hell are half of those guys?  Wesley Matthews still there?  I’d be floored if they won more games than us.

2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I won’t be scrutinizing the Doncic/ Young swap at all.  I think the promising 2019 First Round pick thrown in made it a no-brainer.  Plus the concerns about Doncic’s foot speed translation can’t be dismissed.  

His integration into an NBA team defensive scheme will be interesting, the addition of DeAndre was big.  I’m just totally off the Carlisle wagon and there are still more questions than answers on Dennis Smith Jr.  I’m guessing they’re going to let Barnes walk next summer if they have any brain matter.

Trae’s size is just as concerning but I’m very pleased with the work he’s done in a short time to get stronger.  

This is such a multi-layered situation.  Folks have got to be patient and understand what it is they're looking at.  If DAL has a better record than us, it is in no way a reflection of the Donc-v-Young decision.  As @JTB points out, they are in a ready-made situation to do well.  Certainly more so than we are ... and that's by design (for better or worse).

Also agree on Carlisle.  Given well-balanced, vet teams, he's done well.  But the total ineptitude his teams show when each and every detail isn't set before him, is more telling than people seem willing to recognize.  He doesn't develop guys, doesn't make guys any better.  Just waits for his GM to deliver a high-level team then has results ... sometimes.  Well uh ... doesn't take a genius to do that, Rick.  Also carries himself like he's gawd's gift to coaching.  Beyond arrogant.

• Like 4