• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Lowe on Trae

AHF

• Moderators

WE ARE DONE WITH THE TANK THEORY DISCUSSION ON THIS THREAD.  No action by the mods because this was like a vampire / that discussion was invited in.  But it has run its course so take it to the tank thread if anyone wants further discussion of whether you can develop talent in an environment where a team is building through lottery picks, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Trae will be fine we are 16 games into the season. Chill.

Trae needs better talent around him.   Unlike Luka and JJJ, who have legit starters playing with them, we have maybe 1 and a possible starters ( to use a Spades term ), with a bunch of reserves playing with Trae.

Trae's shot selection needs to improve immensely, but he isn't getting much help from his teammates to make life easier for him on the offensive end.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae needs better talent around him.   Unlike Luka and JJJ, who have legit starters playing with them, we have maybe 1 and a possible starters ( to use a Spades term ), with a bunch of reserves playing with Trae.

Trae's shot selection needs to improve immensely, but he isn't getting much help from his teammates to make life easier for him on the offensive end.

Trae is also not better than Jeremy Lin RIGHT NOW, and as such, he should be coming off the bench behind Jeremy Lin at point guard, honing his game in a proper role for him.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

All this is true.  And +25 cool points for the spades reference.

That's why it's asinine to compare him to JJJ/Doncic.  They're both playing with at least one all-star.  I can argue that MEM is underachieving  this year now that both Gasol and Conley are back.  Of course, their rookie is doing well.  I do think he's done well in his own right so I'm not purposely trying to take anything away from him.  But, as the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Right now, the tide is out on Young.  He's gotta do better individually but his surroundings aren't doing him the favors that Doncic/JJJ's surroundings are doing for them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The stars around him has nothing to do with his very poor play.  Its his decision making and very poor shot selection.  He has been a chucker as of late and that is just not working.  

It's two separate things.

1. Is he individually playing well?  Of course not.

2. Is his supporting cast helping him?  Also, 'no'.

Taken to the extreme, if we had the Warriors cast and was 6th on the scouting report instead of 1st/2nd, don't you think that would help him?

More realistically, if he had 2-3 solid starters instead of guys starting who should be reserves, wouldn't even that help him?

• Admin
21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

1. Is he individually playing well?  Of course not.

2. Is his supporting cast helping him?  Also, 'no'.

Taken to the extreme, if we had the Warriors cast and was 6th on the scouting report instead of 1st/2nd, don't you think that would help him?

More realistically, if he had 2-3 solid starters instead of guys starting who should be reserves, wouldn't even that help him?

I agree that it would help him and with the path we are on and thrusting the young bucks with PT that is not going to happen.  

However, on the other side of the coin he has shown already that he can take good shots but right now he is just being a clone of Josh Smith and chucking crap up and seeing what sticks.  I even think he should be backing up Lin right now until he can get a better handle on his play.

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yup agreed we can’t compare Trae against Donkey kick or weird Marvin Clone because of all the talent around them. They are both playing with a fully veteran team that has been tanking the last couple of years to reset. I’m sorry but its easier to play with guys like DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Mike Conley and othes vs the Alex’s (Len and Poy) no offense to them just an overall talent issue here but one that was expected and Trae knows this. 

So so let’s just play with what we have and understand that we are just growing as a team each day.

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I agree that it would help him and with the path we are on and thrusting the young bucks with PT that is not going to happen.  

However, on the other side of the coin he has shown already that he can take good shots but right now he is just being a clone of Josh Smith and chucking crap up and seeing what sticks.  I even think he should be backing up Lin right now until he can get a better handle on his play.

I hear you.  If he isn't playing the right way, the rest of it matters little.  Hopefully the coaches are using these last few games as teaching moments to show him the way he's been playing (meaning, his approach) has been craptastic.

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I agree that it’s 2 separate things but he also needs to get in good habits and chucking long shots isn’t the best going forward. 

We are the sum of our habits. I think Trae is smart enough to realize this moving forward. 

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

I hear you.  If he isn't playing the right way, the rest of it matters little.  Hopefully the coaches are using these last few games as teaching moments to show him the way he's been playing (meaning, his approach) has been craptastic.

Hell happened to ur avatar?

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I agree that it’s 2 separate things but he also needs to get in good habits and chucking long shots isn’t the best going forward. 

We are the sum of our habits. I think Trae is smart enough to realize this moving forward. 

A lot of this is also on Pierce. He said he wants him to shoot.  Be Trae.  Unfortunate for Trae, he's playing bad and his supporting cast is a sum of crappy parts.  On any given night, his bad shots are a result of hero ball by Prince, who the hell knows what you get with Baze, no defense by anyone, a fast pace where no one knows where to get to, and many other craptastic offensive settings they use at the local rec center.  He's not without fault but I wouldn't bench him for Lin...YET.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Hell happened to ur avatar?

Agree on instilling good habits.  We are not doing that lately with Young and it's an issue I have with the coaching staff.

My avatar?  I don't know.  Perhaps it has something to do with the GT/UGA game this Saturday in Athens, GA?  The folks in Greece should sue so they have to change the name of that god forsaken place.

• Like 1

Hawks are, for the most part, green.  Sure, they have a couple of vets who are doing well.  However, the draft picks and the head coach and his entire staff are just now getting their toes wet.  They can't swim.  They can't even do a decent dog paddle.

Trae is shooting three point attempts and always seems to be on line,  Hitting the front of the rim, he just needs to put a few more beans behind his shot.  Omari has hit a cold spell and Kevin seems afraid to try. 

Anderson may be available.  Is he any good?  Who knows?  JC looked good in his brief appearance.  Perhaps he gets more time.  Jeremy Lin has improved greatly since day one of the season. 

With all the road losses, will this Hawk team do any better at home?  Home, where at least half the fans are Hawk fans.  That we can hope for.  Dedmon hasn't won back his starting spot and Lin is pressing Trae for his.  Competition should be good.

Will the Hawks play like they are home?  Or, is this just like the final road game?

GO ATL HAWKS !!