• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Bembry will be out of the league if he doesn't improve on offense.

We will be paying Turner $18.6M for him to destroy the spacing on the floor or to dominate the ball when he is in the game and stifle the development of our young players.

We are paying Turner 18.6 M next year because we signed Bazemore to an equally retarded contract and Schlenk didn't want to have Baze and his 19M salary rotting at the end of the bench while we gave all his minutes to Huerter/ Hunter/ Reddish / Crabbe / Bembry. 

There is at least some use to Evan Turner because he played around 10 mpg as the primary ball handler in Portland the last couple of years and that's exactly what he will be asked to do for us next season.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He gonna be playing with Crabbe, Bembry, Omari, VC and maybe Hunter at times and Reddish at others. Trae still getting a bulk of the mins. 

I'm not worried about Trae's role at all.  He will get all the minutes he can play.

Turner with Bembry is unwatchable.  :head_wall: Neither Schlenk nor LP can possible be that stupid.

Playing him with Crabbe, Omari, VC, and Hunter/Reddish sounds like a garbage lineup but I can at least wrap my head around him penetrating for his only effective offense and throwing passes out to guys who can shoot.  It does crush the playmaking development of guys like Reddish since the entire balance of the game will be thrown off when he is in and his jumper is so bad that he can't play off the ball.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I hope there is a pick coming and we cut him.  He will throw the whole team off with his game.  I don't want him trying to run point instead of Trae.  His lack of shooting will mean irregular spacing for the rest of the team.

We did not need to give a favor to Baze at all.  The contract we gave him is enough of a favor.  Should have let it ride and seen if there was legitimate trade interest.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-blazers-trade-evan-turner-200148345.html

600k in salary is a lot when looking for a backup PG. I'm guessing there is a second trade coming where we trade into someone else's space for a Center or PG and needed a bit more space. 

Meaning we were a few hundred k away from making a trade work under the cap.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I'm not worried about Trae's role at all.  He will get all the minutes he can play.

Turner with Bembry is unwatchable.  :head_wall: Neither Schlenk nor LP can possible be that stupid.

Playing him with Crabbe, Omari, VC, and Hunter/Reddish sounds like a garbage lineup but I can at least wrap my head around him penetrating for his only effective offense and throwing passes out to guys who can shoot.  It does crush the playmaking development of guys like Reddish since the entire balance of the game will be thrown off when he is in and his jumper is so bad that he can't play off the ball.

He not even good at penetrating. He is mainly pretty good open court guy but in the half court, he needs a screen for everything and he has to have shooters around him. His passing is pretty good but he is limited. Not a fan but as a backup PG, he is generally what you consider league average of that status. Not terrible, just average as a backup PG. I would like a Tyus Jones type but those guys aren't always available. I agree, him and Bembry can't play together. Not possible. 

I can't see Atlanta developing Reddish as anything but a starting SF. He needs to play as many mins as possible with Trae. 

• Moderators
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

We are paying Turner 18.6 M next year because we signed Bazemore to an equally retarded contract and Schlenk didn't want to have Baze and his 19M salary rotting at the end of the bench while we gave all his minutes to Huerter/ Hunter/ Reddish / Crabbe / Bembry. 

There is at least some use to Evan Turner because he played around 10 mpg as the primary ball handler in Portland the last couple of years and that's exactly what he will be asked to do for us next season.

I want to hear Schlenk's vision for this loser.  I hope he is only getting 10 mpg as a 3rd pg but even then it seems to me that Baze had at least a chance of being good enough that a contender would want to add him. 

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/12/18/18147481/kent-bazemore-trade-rumors-interest-contenders-atlanta-hawks-difference-maker

Baze shot 39.4% from 3 just two seasons ago and 36% his first two seasons with us. There is no conceivable circumstance in which we can get as asset for Turner.  That guy craps the bed in the post-season.  Career 44.1% TS%.  Baze has the higher scoring efficiency, ORTG, PER, WS/48, BPM, VORP....pretty much everything in the playoffs.  Baze even has the better defensive win shares per 48 and DRTG. And Baze has disappointed with subpar play in the playoffs.  He is just harder to exploit quite as badly as someone who can't shoot.

Again, I'm hoping there are more moves to come or a narrative from Schlenk that help me make sense of why you'd want to take a vet with a great attitude like Baze who loves Atlanta and bring in a craptastic 10 mpg non-shooting, backup PG.

22 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

If Reddish struggles throughout the season it will most certainly be Crabbe that starts getting his minutes. 

Yup. He needs to earn it though and most likely will in a contract year, whether with us or elsewhere.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I want to hear Schlenk's vision for this loser.  I hope he is only getting 10 mpg as a 3rd pg but even then it seems to me that Baze had at least a chance of being good enough that a contender would want to add him. 

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/12/18/18147481/kent-bazemore-trade-rumors-interest-contenders-atlanta-hawks-difference-maker

Baze shot 39.4% from 3 just two seasons ago and 36% his first two seasons with us. There is no conceivable circumstance in which we can get as asset for Turner.  That guy craps the bed in the post-season.  Career 44.1% TS%.  Baze has the higher scoring efficiency, ORTG, PER, WS/48, BPM, VORP....pretty much everything in the playoffs.  Baze even has the better defensive win shares per 48 and DRTG. And Baze has disappointed with subpar play in the playoffs.  He is just harder to exploit quite as badly as someone who can't shoot.

Again, I'm hoping there are more moves to come or a narrative from Schlenk that help me make sense of why you'd want to take a vet with a great attitude like Baze who loves Atlanta and bring in a craptastic 10 mpg non-shooting, backup PG.

I don't see how anyone can say we won the deal. We clearly lost the deal even if we solved a need. I will give Evan a chance. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Well this is the Evan Turner Rumor I mentioned pre-draft but this is not the trade I'd heard.  Thought we were just taking him as an expiring.

I'd be fine getting a pick for taking him and then hopefully cutting him.  Getting nothing for taking him?  That is a tough swallow.  Portland had to get rid of him due to his terrible shooting.  His role was diminishing with the team and he became unplayable in the playoffs.  Baze is not a great player or even a particularly good one but he fits so much better for the Blazers.  There should have been some value to giving them a piece that fits so much better.

11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

600k in salary is a lot when looking for a backup PG. I'm guessing there is a second trade coming where we trade into someone else's space for a Center or PG and needed a bit more space. 

Meaning we were a few hundred k away from making a trade work under the cap.

I'm hoping we see another deal to follow like you are describing.  I don't want to have to judge Schlenk on this deal without having another piece that swings it to a clear win for us.

25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You know Crabbe irks the hell outta me, this just opens the door for him not to get a buyout and get mins. UGH!

Ya I won’t continue it but I’ll leave it at he’s a capable bench player and/or fringe starter in a contract year. I was a big Prince fan...or at least thought he was capable. So is Crabbe in my view but who knows with us or elsewhere.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I can't see Atlanta developing Reddish as anything but a starting SF. He needs to play as many mins as possible with Trae. 

I don't either but I was expecting him to get some secondary playmaking opportunities and that is thrown all off kilter with Turner.  Turner is anti-gravity on defense (guys sag and cheat off him to cut off space for others) and will only have value handling the ball and making passes.  The kinds of passes I would hoped to have seen Reddish get the chance to make with a backup PG who could shoot and whose sole value on offense didn't rely on him being the one to make the pass.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I don't either but I was expecting him to get some secondary playmaking opportunities and that is thrown all off kilter with Turner.  Turner is anti-gravity on defense (guys sag and cheat off him to cut off space for others) and will only have value handling the ball and making passes.  The kinds of passes I would hoped to have seen Reddish get the chance to make with a backup PG who could shoot and whose sole value on offense didn't rely on him being the one to make the pass.

Honestly, that's when you play Bembry. When Reddish is the spot 1. On offense, Bembry moves well off the ball. Turner doesn't move well off the ball. 

Edited by NBASupes

52 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He is more ready at SF than Hunter is. Cam is NBA ready

See....uhm....yah....Hunter right now is NBA starter ready at the 3.  He played all 3 spots 2/3/4 last year with most of his time coming at the 3.  I think you need a bit of education on Virginia. They play a very, very unselfish style. It is much harder to get 16 ppg in Virginia's system than it is at say "Okalahoma" or "Duke". They rarely play ISO by design and set a very large number of elbow and down screens in a very slow mover/blocker offense.  See here: 

This excessive number of motion and screens forces a spread number of shots.  Hunter averaged less than 11 shots per game last year because of this offense but scored over 16 ppg.  Incredible efficiency.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Honestly, that's when you play Bembry. When Reddish is the spot 1. On offense, Bembry moves well off the ball. Turner doesn't move well off the ball. 

Agreed.  Because Turner will be earning just under $19M and is used to playing >20 mpg, I am skeptical that this doesn't cut into development opportunities for both Bembry and Reddish.  Turner will not be on the roster for the 2020-21 season.  Reddish will.  Bembry might.

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

It's less shots per game, but highly efficient. It just doesn't make players look nearly as impressive as they are.

I think Hunter may surprise some people due to Virginia's system suppressing scoring numbers.

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

See....uhm....yah....Hunter right now is NBA starter ready at the 3.  He played all 3 spots 2/3/4 last year with most of his time coming at the 3.  I think you need a bit of education on Virginia. They play a very, very unselfish style. It is much harder to get 16 ppg in Virginia's system than it is at say "Okalahoma" or "Duke". They rarely play ISO by design and set a very large number of elbow and down screens in a very slow mover/blocker offense.  See here: 

This excessive number of motion and screens forces a spread number of shots.  Hunter averaged less than 11 shots per game last year because of this offense but scored over 16 ppg.  Incredible efficiency.

I disagree based on skill-set more than anything else. Hunter is more NBA ready but Cam is ready to start right now at SF.