• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Turner is trash on the floor but a good guy by all accounts.  I've already said that.  I'm not trashing him personally.  Just his broken, broken shot and marginal man defense.

I honestly could care less about either. But Ive been done with Baze and his overrated play and dumb contract since he got it. Im happy he wont be around to eat anyones minutes next year. Im sure LP wouldve like to keep him, but thats why its good to have a GM He doesnt get tied to players off of loyalty and personality. It's just business, and the youth movement is in effect

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Seems like the trade was done as a favor to Base, because he was likely getting no minutes with the new wings we just drafted.

The move was done for a backup PG and for Cam/Hunter/Kev to get as many mins as possible. 

Reddish will start out the season getting slow played and will come into his stride in the second half, in a somewhat similar way to Trae Young, but not exactly (as I think he ends up on the bench at least to begin).

The injury is a real thing and it made me cool it on him (as I was one of the people that was saying no to him with his bad year), but it can continue being a real thing even as he returns. He could come back in late summer workouts and the preseason and show rust and the need to regain confidence before really getting tossed into the fire. I read the things about him being a scrimmage warrior and really impressing mostly off camera at Duke, but I’m not expecting him to be that impressive scrimmage guy coming off the injury and I’m betting that causes him to start the season on the bench.

Quite honestly, in a perfect world to me, you end up with a slightly better version of the OKC Thunder with Harden here.  

I don’t understand trading for Turner, because while maybe he can do the things that Bembry does better as a passer, Bembry is already your big defensive guard and isn’t bad at it. But it’s only for one season.

Edited by Lurker

• Admin
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Okay just did the math.  Assuming the 1st round rookies sign for 120% of their draft slot, post deal we have 1 slot 12.3 million in salary space. If the rookies sign for 100%, we have 14.18 million in cap space.

Calling Stein ... Willie Cauley-Stein

• Moderators

Turner had the worst on/off +/- for the Blazers last season of their top 10 rotation players (by mpg):

Lillard 35.5 mpg +13.9

McCollum 33.9 mpg +6.4

Al-Farouq Aminu 28.3 mpg +10.2

Nurkic 27.4 mpg +13.2

Hood 24.4 mpg -1.5

Harkless 23.6 mpg +5.7

Kanter 22.3 mpg -2.1

Turner 22.0 mpg -4.8

Curry 18.9 mpg -0.8

Layman 18.7 mpg -2.7

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Reddish will start out the season getting slow played and will come into his stride in the second half, in a somewhat similar way to Trae Young, but not exactly (as I think he ends up on the bench at least to begin).

The injury is a real thing and it made me cool it on him (as I was one of the people that was saying no to him with his bad year), but it can continue being a real thing even as he returns. He could come back in late summer workouts and the preseason and show rust and the need to regain confidence before really getting tossed into the fire. I read the things about him being a scrimmage warrior and really impressing mostly off camera at Duke, but I’m not expecting him to be that impressive scrimmage guy coming off the injury and I’m betting that causes him to start the season on the bench.

Its not just the injury...He isn't strong or skilled enough yet to get significant time.  I think his time will be limited the entire year especially if Atlanta is pushing for a playoff spot.

Always kinda felt someway somehow Baze would end up a Rocket. Imagine he realizes he dodged a cancer riddled bullet in figuring out Harden next season. Good luck to him.

• Moderators

Portland trade grade: B-  (Grade for Blazers was a B-, noting they upgraded their team with the trade and got a better fit.)

$Atlanta trade grade: C

The Hawks continued their busy offseason by swapping Bazemore for Turner in a move that's a little tougher to understand from their perspective, at least from a basketball perspective. In the end, it may be more about doing Bazemore a favor by getting him to a contender, while adding a solid veteran voice to the locker room. Turner has always been known as a tremendous teammate, and was instrumental in building the strong culture in Portland. That will be valuable on a young team. 

On the court, it was going to be tougher to find minutes for Bazemore this season after drafting De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish, as well as acquiring Allen Crabbe and Solomon Hills in other trades. In addition, Turner can handle the ball, and the Hawks will hope that he can play some back-up point guard, as well as potentially free up Trae Young to play off-ball a little bit. 

For the most part, though, it's hard to really see how this move matters that much for the Hawks. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-blazers-swap-guards-kent-bazemore-evan-turner-in-surprise-reported-deal-trade-grades/

• Like 1

• Moderators

Portland: B (noting they upgraded their team and it surprisingly didn't cost them a pick.)

Atlanta: N/A

How should one grade a move that has so little to do with basketball? From a distance, the Hawks traded a decent two-way wing for an objectively lesser player. What savings came as a result of the deal are negligible—less than a million in salary over the course of the season. Atlanta gave up on the chance to trade Bazemore for a better player or some sort of draft consideration. It’s never easy to weigh opportunity cost against the reality of a completed trade, but the chance to move Bazemore in a friendlier deal down the line has to be accounted for.

Of course, all of this would ignore the implied motivations for the Hawks to make a deal like this in the first place. The first is to do right by Bazemore, who has been good for the locker room since joining the Hawks and a good veteran since they began their rebuild. Moving him now allows Bazemore the chance to settle in for a full season with a contending team. It also serves the secondary purpose of freeing up minutes for a Hawks team that added two new wings in the draft and another (Crabbe) via trade. Crabbe may not be much of a priority, but the Hawks moved up on draft night to select De’Andre Hunter and fought to keep the pick that became Cam Reddish. Both are important to Atlanta’s future in ways that Bazemore, frankly, is not.

Due to their differences, Turner does offer some different applications from Bazemore. Lloyd Pierce (who overlapped briefly with Turner in Philadelphia) can use Turner as his backup point guard, alleviating pressure on rising sophomore Jaylen Adams and a provisional alternative in DeAndre’ Bembry. Atlanta needs players who can handle the ball with poise, and Turner provides that. He just might not give the Hawks much of anything else. 

This wasn’t a trade that made the Hawks a better team, in a transactional sense. It does, however, speak to be the kind of franchise they aim to be.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trade-grades-trail-blazers-offload-223654843.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its not just the injury...He isn't strong or skilled enough yet to get significant time.  I think his time will be limited the entire year especially if Atlanta is pushing for a playoff spot.

I don’t see that. I think the comp is the 2017 Braves or 18/19 Kings. You’ll see the flashes but either barely make the playoffs or just miss. 20/21 will be the year.

It’ll still be viewed as a developmental year unless you come out hot like the 2018 Braves did, and then you might see shifts in plan and Reddish going back and forth from 8-10 on the bench to the G-League if it is how I feel in that he’s not quite there. As it is I think he’ll be a 6th-7th guy.

• Moderators

Portland Trailblazers: B+ (noting it is a "huge upgrade" if Baze returns to his career 3pt% and should be better value than Turner)

Atlanta Hawks: C-

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

It's a little more difficult to see the Hawks' motivation for making this trade, which doesn't save them much money (about $660,000) and seems to give them the weaker player. Perhaps the best explanation is their wing rotation had filled up a bit...

Turner could play some backup point guard for the Hawks, and perhaps he'll be happier with a reserve role on a building team than Bazemore -- who signed on back when Atlanta was still contending in the East. Still, those are minutes I'd probably rather give to a developing young player than Turner...

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27046418/nba-trade-grades-wins-hawks-blazers-deal

Kirsch is such a great beat writer. This trade was for Reddish. Hawks expect Turner to be our back up PG.

Atlanta traded Kent Bazemore to Portland for Evan Turner in a pure player-for-player trade. Frankly, Turner is not as good as Bazemore and the tangible on-court benefit for the Hawks just isn’t there on paper. But moving Bazemore frees up one more spot on the wing for the Hawks and allows Reddish to get as many minutes as he’s ready for immediately. The reason for the trade was for roster balance and to prioritize minutes for Reddish, Hunter and Huerter. Atlanta sees Turner filling in as the team’s primary back-up point guard.

https://theathletic.com/1044880/2019/06/24/behind-the-scenes-of-how-and-why-cam-reddish-was-atlantas-pick-at-no-10/

• Like 1

Well, Baze is a hustle guy but when he turns the ball over on several critical plays in a second half (possibly two or three plays in a row) the warm and fuzzy will wear off a bit. Adding that it just doesn't matter what a sports writer says after the fact anyway. Or before the fact...during the fact...etc. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Kirsch is such a great beat writer. This trade was for Reddish. Hawks expect Turner to be our back up PG.

https://theathletic.com/1044880/2019/06/24/behind-the-scenes-of-how-and-why-cam-reddish-was-atlantas-pick-at-no-10/

I buy this trade as addition by subtraction.  We add an inferior player who can be benched more easily freeing up more minutes.  Clear win for Portland since we could just give the minutes to whoever we want but doing Baze a solid seems to be a theme running through all of these.  Hopefully other players will think better of us for putting him in a great position to enjoy success with the Blazers.