• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

I doubt Reddish starts, he was too raw at Duke, I think we need to carry him slowly specially as his starting role will come at the expense of Hunter or Huerter. I think we put too many eggs on Hunter's basket not to start him and Huerter showed great performance last year. Best news would be that Reddish outperforms both but bearing in mind his struggles at Duke, his injury, his recovery time, no summer league... I think is safe to say he starts on the bench, hopefully he start at the end of the year, that would mean we made a homerun at 10.

I want our starting small forward to be the guy that earns it. If it’s Cam, so be it. Don’t hand the keys 🔑 to Cam though if he doesn’t earn it. No skipping steps.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I want our starting small forward to be the guy that earns it. If it’s Cam, so be it. Don’t hand the keys 🔑 to Cam though if he doesn’t earn it. No skipping steps.

It's going to be Cam. Cam is special. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's going to be Cam. Cam is special. 

He’s the most talented by far. The special ones just take it though. I hope he walks in there and takes it day 1. No debates just take what’s urs.

• Like 1

DANG:  Young - Cam - Huerter - Hunter - Collins

Now, that is a lot of "old men" that are Hawks and any and all of them are kinda good, don't you think.  Add our new center just drafted and Spellman from last season - These guys aren't so old that they could pass for a college team if no one knew who they were!  WOW! 

:dance3:

• Like 2

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter is a 4 more than a 3

If you think he can guard 1-5, he can play the 3!  I expect he will stat the season there.  Hope that Reddish rapidly becomes a star so we have to make some tough choices about starters between Reddish, Hunter and Len.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you think he can guard 1-5, he can play the 3!  I expect he will stat the season there.  Hope that Reddish rapidly becomes a star so we have to make some tough choices about starters between Reddish, Hunter and Len.

Offensively is the issue. Not defensively. He is going to have to grow into the position. Even at UVA he was mainly a 4 offensively. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

Offensively is the issue. Not defensively. 

If our bigs can shoot from distance, that seems to leave it open to a variety of roles on offense.  He would probably end up with a smaller, faster defender than if he played PF but seems like Len or Spellman, etc. outside the 3pt line gives Hunter flexbility to run different sets on both the perimeter and in the lane.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He isn't a rebounder or rim protector.  His best defensive trait is perimeter defense which make him a 3

That is how I see it on day 1 as well.

• Like 2

I’d rather not put 1 position on hunter as a 3 or 4! Cause we are going to need him to guard the opposing teams best forward therefore whether that’s a SF or PF I couldn’t care less as long as Hunter gets the job done!

Leonard (and I’m not comparing) but Leonard is widely considered a 3 and he had multiple times in the ECF where he guarded much taller and longer MVP Giannis! That’s what I’m hoping for from Hunter!....a lockdown FORWARD. PERIOD.

• Like 3

Just now, JTB said:

I’d rather not put 1 position on hunter as a 3 or 4! Cause we are going to need him to guard the opposing teams best forward therefore whether that’s a SF or PF I couldn’t care less as long as Hunter gets the job done!

Leonard (and I’m not comparing) but Leonard is widely considered a 3 and he had multiple times in the ECF where he guarded much taller and longer MVP Giannis! That’s what I’m hoping for from Hunter!....a lockdown FORWARD. PERIOD.

Same goes for Reddish by the way he’s skilled enough to play and guard 1-3 so no need to put 1 position on him as he’s likely to play the 2 & 3.

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, AHF said:

That is how I see it on day 1 as well.

@NBASupes is a very passionate guy and I admire that about him but he also has rose colored glasses on from time to time.  Cam is a fine prospect with great potential but he ain't there yet.  Supes is like this mother that has unwavering confidence in her average son that she thinks is special.  And even though his report card comes back all C's, she think he is a genius and blames the school, teachers and other students for his lack of progress.  Cam Reddish himself said that he was not serious about training and his diet and that's not something you correct over night( see Spellman).  So Supes' main goal is to disparage anything in his the son way to stardom.  Kinda like what Lonzo Ball's father does with him.  Hunter is older and more proven and will start and fit perfectly as a 3 and D guy Trae never got from Prince.  We'll see in the future how Cam fits in.

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Offensively is the issue. Not defensively. He is going to have to grow into the position. Even at UVA he was mainly a 4 offensively. 

Position really dont matter up front in this league they all just Jack up 3s anyway.  There aren't many 4s and 5s any longer.

It’s funny when I compare Hunter to prospects from decades ago, they are always power forwards like Horace Grant and Buck Williams. His fundamental moves and technique is more of a power forward than small. Having said that, Collins is our PF. Collins can play center for some minutes but not too many I wouldn’t imagine. Hunter is a 4/3 backup to Collins and Cam this year.

SF- Cam/ Hunter Hunter/Cam (I would imagine Cam would start over Hunter but who knows Hunter is the more seasoned of the two with 2 years of college)

PF - Collins/Hunter

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

He isn't a rebounder or rim protector.  His best defensive trait is perimeter defense which make him a 3

His best trait is NOT perimeter defense. It's switching, BBIQ, making instinctive plays and being able to guard the post as well as the perimeter. Cam is the best perimeter defender in this class. 

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

@NBASupes is a very passionate guy and I admire that about him but he also has rose colored glasses on from time to time.  Cam is a fine prospect with great potential but he ain't there yet.  Supes is like this mother that has unwavering confidence in her average son that she thinks is special.  And even though his report card comes back all C's, she think he is a genius and blames the school, teachers and other students for his lack of progress.  Cam Reddish himself said that he was not serious about training and his diet and that's not something you correct over night( see Spellman).  So Supes' main goal is to disparage any thing his the son way to stardom.  Kinda like what Lonzo Ball's father does with him.  Hunter is older and more proven and will start and fit perfectly as a 3 and D guy Trae never got from Prince.  We'll see in the future how Cam fits in.

I watched every Duke game and some two to three times over. I have a tremendous idea of what all of our players are. I've been on record of saying Cam is more polished coming out than Trae, Kevin and John was. 

You assume because he struggled at Duke, he is raw when he wasn't. Duke was just a terrible fit. 

No spacing when his best offensive style is playing in space as he is an elite space player. 

Limited playmaking responsibility and that hurt both him and Tre Jones. 

Teams sat on his dribble drive forcing him into traffic drives and the lack of movement of the players at Duke just limited his options. He clearly has weaknesses at this stage when it comes to finishing in traffic. 

Teams always had someone assigned to Cam. He wasn't left open that much and when he was, he had a very good percentage at a good volume clip. 

Transition where he has an elite stride, he didn't get to because he got R.J. who is damn good at it, Zion who is elite at it and Tre who is damn good at it wanting to get there's doing it there way. It just wasn't a good fit. I don't know how one could avoid the f***ing tape. Cam is a beast. 

Pull up 3, hesi, stepback, iso, half spin into stepback, elite range, etc. That's f***ing impressive!  We just couldn't use him right. 

Coaches who played Duke stated about Cam: 

First Coach

“In my scout, I wrote that I thought Reddish had a higher ceiling than all of Duke’s guys. That might be crazy, but his skill level is off the charts. He doesn’t have the killer mentality of a Zion or Barrett. I just think he’s so highly skilled. He can pass, dribble, shoot. He can score from all three levels. He might not have great percentages, but you can just tell this dude is an elite level shooter. It’ll take maybe two years to develop his body with his overall strength. But I think he has a high, high ceiling for the next level.”

“I think he’s going to be a really good pro based off of that body development. He’s going to fill out, and he’ll be stronger. He’ll always have that skill. Maybe he can’t be a superstar necessarily, but I see him being in the league a long time due to his skill set.”

First coach flat out telling you, he think Cam is going to be the best one. That ain't no, he's raw shit, he already got the goods. 

Second Coach

“I think they’ve helped change his mindset a bit. Cam, as talented as he was in high school, when he got around other really good players he would defer a lot. On that team, he’s not the 1 or 2 option, but in every situation he’s 2A or 2B. He’s playing with more confidence. The question for him is whether he’s tough enough. Is he tough enough to compete in the league with the top 3-men? That’s what he’ll be. In terms of his skill, ability to make shots, he shoots at the NBA line, not the college line. We know he has NBA range. It’s a matter of: Is he tough enough to be guarded by NBA 3s, and tough enough to guard them?

“The loose handle has surprised me a little bit because I thought he handled it a little bit better. But in high school, with his talent level, and being kind of like a point forward, you don’t see it until now. Now, with defenses, there’s a scouting report every game. Guys will crawl up in him. But this is helping him in the long run by being guarded this way now, because I think he’s a worker. To me, it looks like it the way his game has improved. I don’t think you can be in their program and not be a worker. (Coach K would) sit you on the bench.

“I don’t think he’s a high-level finisher because it goes back to how tough is he? Is he willing to take the hits? Even in college every now and then, when you’re super athletic and you’re tough, you’re going to get some charges called on you because you’re going through guys. I’m not saying he’s soft, I just don’t know if he has a tough guys’ mentality. He’s not going to go through your chin.”

The 2nd coach thinks all of Cam's issues is coachable. 

Third Coach

“I think he’s the guy that gets screwed in this deal. He has no space to do anything. And when he does do stuff, he seems to maybe do a little too much. But you can’t question his catch-and-shoot ability. It’s phenomenal. I think he can make a huge impact in the NBA. I’m a big Reddish guy. I really am. It’s not easy for him, because he’s not getting much outside of the kick-out catch and shoot stuff.

“I don’t know his ability to playmake. I don’t know his abilities to make plays for others. But that Louisville comeback, I know he shot an awful percentage, but he’s the guy who spearheaded that comeback. He just seems to me like a guy that can make an impact if his game keeps coming better. I’m a big fan.

“A little quiet for me on the court. Maybe doesn’t show enough passion. But again, I think he understands that he’s the third, sometimes the fourth guy. And he’s okay with that. I’d like him to be a little bit more forthright, a little bit more passionate, a little bit more aggressive when he can be. But I just don’t know what he can be there. Those other dudes are so good that he’s a catch-and-shoot guy. Now, if he was playing with a different team, or one those guys even, what does he look like? I don’t know, but I think he looks very different.

“I didn’t see him much in high school, so I don’t know if he did more of that in high school or not. But his ability to catch and shoot, and shoot off of angles and off of screens, it is top-notch. I think he’s a pretty good prospect. If you told me in four years that Cam Reddish is a better player than De’Andre Hunter, that wouldn’t shock me at all. Maybe even two years. I don’t know if he knows what he wants to be yet. I don’t know if he knows how good he can be yet.”

He just questions him altogether but mentions, he ain't got no space to work in. 

Fourth Coach

“He struggled in our game. We knew that if we could stay in front of him and be solid, he wasn’t great off the bounce. But he’s big. He’s huge. Obviously, he can really shoot the ball with space. The most impressive thing was just his size on the floor. His body was good. I was like, holy cow, his body looks good.

“The thing with him is, the way they play doesn’t benefit him. It benefits the other two guys, but not him. He doesn’t (get to) play off the bounce one-on-one as much as those guys. He gets somewhere, and just kinda spot-up shoots. I think he’d be able to do more at the next level. If you put him in some ball-screens, he could be a problem. But they don’t do that, they run that weave action.”

Once again, he can REALLY SHOOT IT IN SPACE! The tape don't f***ing LIE! You telling me I am blind. I been watching hoops for nearly 25 years now. Been doing my scout for over 10 years and personally just for me for over 8 years. I know I got skills. I know this game. I know this era. I don't watch college basketball like others watch it. Your stats don't mean shit to me. I watch what you do. How you do it. Consistency. Ability. Skill. BBIQ. Feel for the game. Role. System. Confidence. I look at everything. This is why I was so in love with Travis class. He hit three home runs but the stars of this class is four to six guys. Cam is one of them. 

Fifth Coach

“I like his upside in the NBA more than Barrett. Because he doesn’t have the toughness of R.J. and Zion, he’s definitely getting overshadowed. And rightfully so. Those guys play harder, they’re more ready.

“But he doesn’t get to play with the ball in his hands, which is what he’s really good at. In the NBA, he has kind of a Tracy McGrady type talent base. He can handle the ball, he can shoot off the bounce. But he’s just cool. And that’s the scary thing. If he doesn’t get that fire or sense of urgency, he’ll end up being just a regular player. But if he gets it, he’ll be an NBA All-Star.”

Every f**king coach is singing this kids praises. If you go to all of the coaches reports, that's not found nowhere else. Even Zion got more negativity for the pros. KD watched all of them and said Cam got the sauce. 

Sixth Coach

“He’s got the look of a great NBA player. I’m not sure he’s got enough of the mentality to bring it every day, but he is talented. My goodness, he’s got the tools for sure.”

This is the most negative and even then, he's like, f*** it, he got it all, just needs the mentality. That's it. 

Seventh Coach

“I think he’s as good as it comes. His IQ of the game is good. His ability to get shots. He’s fairly tough. He’s got a chance to be really good. A lot of this stuff depends on where he goes. He needs to develop and adjust. I think all three guys probably have the ability to defend.”

He's extremely high on Reddish. 

This is a trend. Overscouting is how Donovan Mitchell goes 13th behind Luke Kennard and Malik Monk. Rule#1: Don't overthink this shit. 

Shit, this is Barrett section and Cam got name dropped:

Fifth Coach

“Scorer’s mentality. He had no interest in guarding. He had an interest in gambling and going for steals. He’s very left-hand dominant. In my scout, I thought Reddish had a higher ceiling.”

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1