• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hey, first of all, I see what you're doing.  Throwing a bunch of words at me hoping I tap out.  Didn't work this time, AH.  I just didn't read 'em.  Ha.  Take that!

I hear you though and I wasn't saying Turner was some great shakes.  I'm saying he served more of a purpose than Bazemore does.  Baze is insurance against Simons not helping them fast enough.  Their fans are all excited to lose Turner now but wait'll they see Baze getting minutes over the youngster.

Then Rip City.org'll be all, "Why's this clown getting minutes over Simons, blah, blah, blah ..." - PortBlaze01

I can't believe you've pulled me into the deep waters of touting Turner over Bazemore when both are pretty 'meh'.  You know I can't swim.  But perhaps that was your plan all along, AH.  Diabolical bastar*glub*glub*glub

Baze can be pretty good when he is hitting his shots and not trying to do too much.  He is also setup for his "on again, off again" good year.  

2016 44.1% FG%, 35.7% 3pt%, 55.1% TS% - good Baze!  :biggrin:

2017 40.9% FG%, 34.6% 3pt%. 50.4% TS% - bad Baze. :angry:

2018 42.0% FG%, 39.4% 3pt%, 54.7% TS% - good Baze! :biggrin:

2019 40.2% FG%, 32.0% 3pt%, 50.7% TS% - bad Baze. :angry:

2020 ??

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Baze can be pretty good when he is hitting his shots and not trying to do too much.  He is also setup for his "on again, off again" good year.  

2016 44.1% FG%, 35.7% 3pt%, 55.1% TS% - good Baze!  :biggrin:

2017 40.9% FG%, 34.6% 3pt%. 50.4% TS% - bad Baze. :angry:

2018 42.0% FG%, 39.4% 3pt%, 54.7% TS% - good Baze! :biggrin:

2019 40.2% FG%, 32.0% 3pt%, 50.7% TS% - bad Baze. :angry:

2020 ??

This pattern seems to indicate “good” for 2020... based on my calculations. 

Don’t ever say I don’t help out. 😉 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I would just like to say.  Isn't awesome to be having a discussion based around "my draft pick is more awesome than yours" and not..."OMG BK F'd this up again!"?

I was sounding like @AHF when draft Shelden. I knew he was a bust before he played a minute despite Shelden having an great year at Duke. While I am more happy about Cam than Luka or Trae last year despite his struggles at Duke. He is just a much better player than he showed while I knew Shelden was much worse and we hid his flaws.

Nice ain't the word. Stuff like this never happens to the Hawks. I used to Cal Bowdler and Shelden Williams and passing Deron and CP3 for Marvin.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I was sounding like @AHF when draft Shelden. I knew he was a bust before he played a minute despite Shelden having an great year at Duke. While I am more happy about Cam than Luka or Trae last year despite his struggles at Duke. He is just a much better player than he showed while I knew Shelden was much worse and we hid his flaws.

Nice ain't the word. Stuff like this never happens to the Hawks. I used to Cal Bowdler and Shelden Williams and passing Deron and CP3 for Marvin.

You weren't wrong!

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

He did it to me as well. But I fell right in and turned in a 1000 word essay to AHF about why we don’t want to add a Durant type.. we guuud we guudd.. then I find out it’s Iggy... and I write more on that... meanwhile AHF ..

pinkman.gif

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Another reason why I dislike ET. He was a Celtic and tried to clown Korver. (It maybe irrational but until he plays his 1st Hawks game, I'll dislike him, then I'll have no choice but to root for him) since he'll be wearing 'Hawks'

The Celtics guard took aim at Korver’s lack of defensive prowess.

Per the AJC:

“They started pressuring and it’s tough to score when you have two hands inside your jersey as well,” Turner told Boston reporters after the game. “At the same time, I got a foul call on Korver and they said I pushed him and tripped him and he just fell.

“He can’t guard to save his life and he’s grabbing Marcus Thornton and he’s grabbing me and he has no business being in the game on the defensive end but what can you possibly do if they’re allowed to have their hands on you?”

• Sad 1

Just now, kg01 said:

pinkman.gif

🤣 love Jesse ...

BITCH

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Another reason why I dislike ET. He was a Celtic and tried to clown Korver. (It maybe irrational but until he plays his 1st Hawks game, I'll dislike him, then I'll have no choice but to root for him) since he'll be wearing 'Hawks'

Ugh 😑 I forgot he was a Celtic. Damnit Bird!!!!! 🤮 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I can't believe you've pulled me into the deep waters of touting Turner over Bazemore when both are pretty 'meh'.  You know I can't swim.  But perhaps that was your plan all along, AH.  Diabolical bastar*glub*glub*glub

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d1252ea3351376a73

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

He did it to me as well. But I fell right in and turned in a 1000 word essay to AHF about why we don’t want to add a Durant type.. we guuud we guudd.. then I find out it’s Iggy... and I write more on that... meanwhile AHF ..

@AHF failed you Spud.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He was just trying to justify his normal craptastic shooting.  "I'd be crushing this loser Kyler Korver with my offense if only he wasn't holding me!"

Hold Me Back GIF - HoldMeBack GIFs

• Haha 2

I never cared for Turner but he did perform one of the most miraculous post moves I’ve ever seen from a wing with Boston.  Fool threw about 5 moves to shed Baze, Thabo, Sap, and Al for a layup from 20 feet out down the baseline.  S&@t was epic.

I doubt Reddish starts, he was too raw at Duke, I think we need to carry him slowly specially as his starting role will come at the expense of Hunter or Huerter. I think we put too many eggs on Hunter's basket not to start him and Huerter showed great performance last year. Best news would be that Reddish outperforms both but bearing in mind his struggles at Duke, his injury, his recovery time, no summer league... I think is safe to say he starts on the bench, hopefully he start at the end of the year, that would mean we made a homerun at 10.

• Like 3

Atlanta Hawks acquire Evan Turner

On the surface, this may not look like much of a deal for the Hawks. Like I mentioned above, Turner is one of NBA history’s least effective floor-spacers on a decent enough volume of attempts. The best he’s ever shot from downtown is 36.5 percent on 159 attempts, which would be more than acceptable in today’s NBA. Most seasons, league average accuracy is around 35.5 to 36.5 percent. Having Turner at that accuracy would be a huge boon to his game and overall effectiveness.

Unfortunately, that accurate season was seven years ago and his best outside shooting season since then is 32.1 percent on 156 attempts. Turner doesn’t give you shooting, but the Hawks may have enough shooting on their roster that it doesn’t greatly affect them. What he does bring is a great locker room vibe, and some playmaking ability likely off the bench for Lloyd Pierce. That playmaking comes with a price, considering the Hawks were the worst turnover team in the league and Turner can get a little too loose with his passes. But he can help show a lot of these young wings and even Trae Young (a bit) some of the ropes.

After Young, the Hawks’ best playmakers were Jeremy Lin (champion in Toronto), De’Andre Bembry (not reliable in that role yet), Kent Bazemore (gone to Portland), Kevin Huerter (solid but a long way to go), and Taurean Prince (traded to Brooklyn). Turner was at his best playmaking in Boston, but he still had a solid run of it during his three Portland seasons. Turner’s lack of shooting can also be boosted by the addition of Allen Crabbe, who played with Turner a bit in Portland.

As for the locker room presence, his quality as a teammate remains one of the highest in the league. No matter where he’s been, reviews have come back overwhelmingly positive for the culture he helps set. He keeps things loose and he keeps track of everybody and their families. This may seem like something cliché, and maybe on some level it is. It also provides the right example of how to approach being a professional teammate for the young guys like Young, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, and Reddish. He’ll pull them aside and make sure they’re shown the right path for how to do things.

On top of that, the Hawks save a bit of money to carve out a tiny bit more cap space. This trade nets them an extra $640,000 in cap space. It’s a good move for the money and a better move for the culture Schlenk and Pierce are trying to cultivate with their young core in Atlanta.

Grade: B-

• Like 1