• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has not been good in any system and has been in the NBA for 9 years.  The best we can hope for is a mixed bag with good defense and solid playmaking.

Well that sounds pretty good.   Baze was a mixed bag with good defense and shooting and poor playmaking.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well that sounds pretty good.   Baze was a mixed bag with good defense and shooting and poor playmaking.

That is your best case.  Your worst case with him is an unplayable mess of a player who destroys your spacing and is basically a slower, older Bembry.

There is a reason Portland was desperate to unload him.  He made the team worse and was almost unplayable at times - notably including for most of the playoffs.

I'll root for him to hit best case but he was on my short list of "please never bring this waste of $$ to our team" players.  I view the trade as a favor to Baze rather than anything our best interest.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/24/2019 at 4:29 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Punchable face Turner is now a Hawk!!! 🤢

Travis executing veteran trades :doh:

I stand by my original thoughts!

On 6/24/2019 at 4:53 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Rather the devil I know.

Just saying if there's no real cost saving or asset.:blanky:

This was in reference to keeping Baze over Turner.  Called it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2019 at 12:56 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Another reason why I dislike ET. He was a Celtic and tried to clown Korver. (It maybe irrational but until he plays his 1st Hawks game, I'll dislike him, then I'll have no choice but to root for him) since he'll be wearing 'Hawks'

Should have just stuck to my dislike.

Somme good stuff in this thread! 😁

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Don't actually remember anyone specifically liking bringing in Turner (admittedly my memory can be questionable at times) but know that about eighty percent of us were pretty shocked a true pg wasn't brought in at that point and most knew the skill set for Turner was low and slow. 

The only positive out of this whole situation is that it's not too late to rectify that mistake. He and Crabbe need to be off this team well before the trade deadline. If both are still here after that, then I will be right there with the other posters who are roasting Schlenk. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, hawkman said:

The only positive out of this whole situation is that it's not too late to rectify that mistake. He and Crabbe need to be off this team well before the trade deadline. If both are still here after that, then I will be right there with the other posters who are roasting Schlenk. 

Am still a TS fan but just hated the backup pg thing and of course Turner supposedly being a temporary answer. Just no way there. Think TS has four of our future quality starters but they are just so damn young/raw in one case right now. Trae, Cam, Hunter and JC. Yeah, believe me I know there is a massive hole in the paint so far with the plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I stand by my original thoughts!

Me too.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, AHF said:

Cut Turner and give the minutes to our youngsters.  This is my first outright being upset at Schlenk in quite a while.

Hey Turner:

giphy.gif

:gtfo:

And not just my original thought in this thread:

On 12/12/2016 at 2:17 PM, AHF said:

This is me before I offer Evan Turner that deal:

Just set the money on fire first.  Screw you Turner.  You aren't getting it.  I'd rather watch it burn.

giphy.gif

On 6/22/2017 at 1:40 PM, AHF said:

Now someone like Melo is going to get the max he did when he was last a FA because there are a lot of GMs that think he'll deliver more value than the max deal and will sell tickets, merch, etc.  A guy like that you have to pay to keep but the Evan Turners of the world you can just let walk.

On 2/20/2014 at 11:11 AM, AHF said:

His numbers are incredibly consistent. He hasn't improved much at all. Here they are:

Evan Turner True Shooting %

Year 1 - .484

Year 2 - .478

Year 3 - .478

Year 4 - .504

It isn't a coincidence that the more he shoots, the lower his WS/48 number is. It is because he is such a bad shooter that it costs his team wins to have him shooting more.

Turner 2011-12 -12.4 FGA/36 = .068 WS/48

Turner 2012-13 - 13.1 FGA/36 = .035 WS/48

Turner 2013-14 - 15.9 FGA/36 = .025 WS/48

He has shown NO PROMISE whatsoever as a scorer to date in his career unless you like low efficiency, volume scoring.

On 12/11/2014 at 3:55 PM, AHF said:

"Did I say something totally off the wall?"  

I actually think you did there, Evan.  Something that would not have been totally off the wall would be to say that you couldn't hold Korver's jock on either end of the floor.  Korver shoots amazingly well and I'm not sure whether the gap is bigger between Korve rand Turner on offense or defense but Evan is so bad at both that it becomes academic at some point.

On 7/21/2015 at 6:49 AM, AHF said:

Just got over lmao at the idea of Evan Turner being pretty good on defense.

On 5/26/2014 at 10:30 PM, AHF said:

If Bud can teach people to shoot, play D and protect the ball then why not just have him do that with a cheaper player?

You guys realize that John Jenkins' rookie season would represent career highs for Turner in both WS/48 and PER, right?

What does this guy bring to the table?

Oooh, he is a passer. See his 3.8 ap36 this season? Doesn't that look great next to his 2.8 top36?

He can score! Well, he can't stretch the floor and he hasn't even hit .500 TS% over a single season in his career so far so every shot is negative value but look how often he takes bad shots! Doesn't that add up to points? Lou Williams' terrible season represents more than .050 better than Turner's career high for efficiency.

He can't play D, but he is long enough to learn. I guess age 26 is a good time to learn to play defense.

Turner is going to get significantly overpaid this offseason. Draft a rookie and develop that guy instead for 1/4 of the price. He'll probably be better anyway.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m not surprised at Turner’s performance. I would have been pleasantly surprised if he came in and played a role for us but alas..

In hindsight remember you mentioning McConnell being available and not looking for a ton of cash. Negatives by some folks were his defense was a question but wow, he would have worked out pretty well do think. He only got 3.5 mil per for two years. One thing we had/have is enough cash for him or another true pg vet so definitely some other deal for Baze for me. Trae/McConnell would keep a floor general on the floor for 48 with good passing and the foul line percentage would be deadly. As said "hindsight" but am strongly thinking screw doing any more favors like ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas said:

In hindsight remember you mentioning McConnell being available and not looking for a ton of cash. Negatives by some folks were his defense is a question but wow, he would have worked out pretty well do think. He only got 3.5 mil per for two years. One thing we had/have is enough cash for him or another true pg vet so definitely some other deal for Baze for me. Trae/McConnell would keep a floor general on the floor for 48 with good passing and the foul line percentage would be deadly. As said "hindsight" but am strongly thinking screw doing any more favors like ever. 

A good bargain indeed. I just like that heady type of player. And this..

• TJ McConnell: Only $1,000,000 guaranteed in 2020/21, HoopsHype has learned. His contract becomes guaranteed if not waived by June 26, 2020.
  • Like 2

Kent was gone have a hard time accepting his role and also wanted to win now..The Hawks want to develop young perimeter guys at the expense of winning to some degree..Travis just decided to do a favor to a professional guy like kent and put him in a more winning now environment..

Know this is way after the fact and all but wonder if Baze made TS aware of the "I'm in a dark place" thing before the trade. I didn't hear anything about that until Baze was interviewed in Portland after the deal was done. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Know this is way after the fact and all but wonder if Baze made TS aware of the "I'm in a dark place" thing before the trade. I didn't hear anything about that until Baze was interviewed in Portland after the deal was done. 

It was my understanding that he definitely did but maybe i misremember.

A lot of crying over this deal but in case no one noticed Baze isn't exactly tearing it up in Portland.