• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

2 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Cam shot just 36% last year. If he shot that poorly in college last year,  how is he going to start this year? That isn't logical.

7.5 attempts from 3, 74% of his shots were jumpshots, better projected 3pt NBA than Kevin as a prospect. In fact, 3/4 through the season, he had a better projected 3pt NBA percentage than Klay and was nearing Trae who's projected was nearing Steph at Davidson. Cam can shoot that bih...

Not to mention, played for a historically bad shooting team when got A+ defensive efforts from everyone because of their hype. Cam gets massively underrated when even his tape is pretty good where it needs to be pretty good.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Translation: "I reject your reality and submit my own."

Not at all. Cam is the best perimeter defender in this draft for a wing. He is the best 3pt shooter. He is the 2nd best playmaker behind Culver. He is the most skilled. He is the most talented. He is the most gifted. He is the most skilled. He has an good steals rate and 3/4 through the season, he had an elite steals rate. We are talking rare combination of abilities. For our style of play and personnel, this is extremely significant.

• Like 1

Well I guess "immediate outrage" is better than no outrage at all.

Eh...wait and see what happens. Good on them by doing Bazemore a solid and getting him to a better situation. Considering the minutes we are probably talking here, I don't see this moving the needle all that much. Plus, nobody has any idea where these guys will be come October, so freaking out in June seems premature at best.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, AHF said:

What the #$*&.  We better be getting a future first in this deal.  Baze over Turner all day long and twice on Sundays.  Every minute he plays is a minute wasted.

Your response to this trade is the only one I cared to see. Your #1 coming to Atlanta! 😄 

• Haha 3

Honestly, this trade makes POR worse.   They'll miss Turner's playmaking which allows Lillard to play off the ball.

Chuk McCollum at point, with Lillard off ball, means Chuk's gettin' shots, shots, shots-shots-shots-shots, shots, shots-shots-shots-shots, everybodyyyy!!!

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

This man doesn't like Evan Turner.

He seems to be a good guy so I really hope he steps up for us.  But he has lived down to my predictions for him in the past.  Said teams would regret taking him in the lottery, giving him his own Baze contact, have trouble playing him in the playoffs with his negative spacing shooting, etc. and all those things have been true.

Trying to talk myself into him playing a useful role for us.  I hope he does as long as we don’t have to reconfigure the offense to work around his non-shooting because things like our young wings sitting on the perimeter waiting for 3’s because we have to space the floor for him isn’t useful development when we eventually will have everyone cutting, moving and a threat from the perimeter.

Anyway, I’m over it as much as I can be and rooting for him to surprise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

He seems to be a good guy so I really hope he steps up for us.  But he has lived down to my predictions for him in the past.  Said teams would regret taking him in the lottery, giving him his own Baze contact, have trouble playing him in the playoffs with his negative spacing shooting, etc. and all those things have been true.

Trying to talk myself into him playing a useful role for us.  I hope he does as long as we don’t have to reconfigure the offense to work around his non-shooting because things like our young wings sitting on the perimeter waiting for 3’s because we have to space the floor for him isn’t useful development when we eventually will have everyone cutting, moving and a threat from the perimeter.

Anyway, I’m over it as much as I can be and rooting for him to surprise.

Useful, he just needs to be an average backup PG. If we can get that and not the nonsense we got from Adams, I am fine with it. It's not a critical position. It was just a weakness we solved. Gives us time to focus on more important needs like resigning VC and other trades. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

7.5 attempts from 3, 74% of his shots were jumpshots, better projected 3pt NBA than Kevin as a prospect. In fact, 3/4 through the season, he had a better projected 3pt NBA percentage than Klay and was nearing Trae who's projected was nearing Steph at Davidson. Cam can shoot that bih...

Not to mention, played for a historically bad shooting team when got A+ defensive efforts from everyone because of their hype. Cam gets massively underrated when even his tape is pretty good where it needs to be pretty good.

This doesn’t mean he is going to shoot well enough to start this year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, NBASupes said:

Useful, he just needs to be an average backup PG. If we can get that and not the nonsense we got from Adams, I am fine with it. It's not a critical position. It was just a weakness we solved. Gives us time to focus on more important needs like resigning VC and other trades. 

Exactly...people are so extreme on this message board...They act Turner has to be an all star to help this team win...he is a better defender, playmaker and had a higher TS than Baze and Adams so I don't get the outrage other than you feel sorry for Baze who wanted to be here.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

This doesn’t mean he is going to shoot well enough to start this year.

Yes it does, in fact he is likely to shoot much much better. 41% on open catch and shoot. As versatile a 3pt shot catalog as Trae's with much more height, length, and size. Goodness, I wish people watched the damn games at Duke. He showed a lot of good qualities. Our personnel in Durham and how we used it was not to the benefit of Reddish. Even many coaches mentioned it as well. We might have been the worst fit for Cam Reddish this year while the Hawks are the best fit for Cam Reddish as well as the NBA is a better fit for him as well. It wouldn't shock me if he was the ROY and it wouldn't shock me if he's our best player by the end of the season. 

https://theathletic.com/822553/2019/02/25/nba-draft-college-coaches-poll-what-do-coaches-think-of-dukes-core-players-other-than-zion-williamson/

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Exactly...people are so extreme on this message board...They act Turner has to be an all star to help this team win...he is a better defender, playmaker and had a higher TS than Baze and Adams so I don't get the outrage other than you feel soory for Baze who wanted to be here.

I've hated him for years so I probably overreact to us wasting minutes on him.  Hopefully, he can be effective in limited minutes and a narrow role for us and just be a super overpaid back PG with no future on this team.

Also your facts are wrong.  Turner has consistently had a lower TS% than Bazemore, even in down years for Baze.  Also, it is less about the ts% (which is terrible) and more about the floor spacing.  When people don't respect your jumper, it crushes spacing for everyone else.

Baze > Turner

2018-19 .507 > .504 (.409 in playoffs)

2017-18 .547 > .520 (.413 in playoffs)

2016-17 .504 (.499 in playoffs) > .491 (.512 in playoffs)

2015-16 .551 (.455 in playoffs) > .513 (.425 in playoffs)

2014-15 .520 (.514 in playoffs) > .482 (.438 in playoffs)

Career: .523 (.470 in playoffs) > .493 (.441 in playoffs)

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yes it does, in fact he is likely to shoot much much better. 41% on open catch and shoot. As versatile a 3pt shot catalog as Trae's with much more height, length, and size. Goodness, I wish people watched the damn games at Duke. He showed a lot of good qualities. Our personnel in Durham and how we used it was not to the benefit of Reddish. Even many coaches mentioned it as well. We might have been the worst fit for Cam Reddish this year while the Hawks are the best fit for Cam Reddish as well as the NBA is a better fit for him as well. It wouldn't shock me if he was the ROY and it wouldn't shock me if he's our best player by the end of the season. 

https://theathletic.com/822553/2019/02/25/nba-draft-college-coaches-poll-what-do-coaches-think-of-dukes-core-players-other-than-zion-williamson/

Love your optimism.  I'm high on Reddish and very excited to see him play and develop for us.  But he was so bad at shooting last year that he has to prove it to me.  My hope is that it was about role/spacing and injuries at Duke.  But those numbers were atrocious which is the only reason he was available at 10.

48 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Honestly, this trade makes POR worse.   They'll miss Turner's playmaking which allows Lillard to play off the ball.

Chuk McCollum at point, with Lillard off ball, means Chuk's gettin' shots, shots, shots-shots-shots-shots, shots, shots-shots-shots-shots, everybodyyyy!!!

😎

CJ>Beal

Blazers to the finals! Go Baze! Go Gaze #awkwardstarbucksstaring #coffeechchicksrhot #wellmostsomeareuglyasa$$

Several things about this trade:

Both players have expiring contracts so this doesn't matter.

Both players have a reputation of being great locker room members.

Atlanta has a reputation of improving the shooting % for players that come here.  We know our new man has a bad reputation as a shooter, yet he has a 78% average from the free throw stripe.  Not great but not as terrible as some might think.

Our new player is a PG or a 2 guard.  Baze is a SF, which we just drafted two.  People here loved Baze as a person (all of us) and almost to a T, wanted him gone because of his recent play and his big contract.  If and when we gave him away or let him walk, many, many would be upset.  Yet, now everyone is upset.  Go figure.

On a side note, with the three new rookies, it is still important that we resign VC. 

Hawks may have done Baze a favor, sending him to the western division and we took on an unwanted Portland player.  A win - win for both players and a new team for both players to improve their careers.

Hawks are loaded with big, expiring contracts and loaded with youth, ready to play and prove themselves worthy.  I like what our GM is doing....

:smug:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He has a shot at rookie of the year but I think that will go to a rookie that has to carry more of the volume of the numbers for their team. Probably Zion, RJ Barrett (unless NY gets to him) Ja Morant or Darius Garland. 

If I had to bet I’d go Ja Morant for rookie of the year. He’s gonna have the ball in his hands the whole time and given keys 🔑 to the Grizz team. He’s gonna fill it up. My guess is 19 ppg/8apg/5rpg.

Cam will have the easier time fitting in of probably any rookie. Fits into our lineup like a glove 🧤. Numbers won’t be off the charts but efficient play will be going on nightly.

• Like 1

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

😎

I don't think they will miss Turner.  Baze isn't anything great but he makes them better.

https://ripcityproject.com/2019/03/31/portland-trail-blazers-time-remove-evan-turner-rotation/

Evan Turner has been almost unplayable following the All-Star break. It is time for the Portland Trail Blazers to seriously consider removing him from the rotation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/judge-evan-turners-third-season-212221274.html

Turner just didn't have the impact necessary on offense and at times he became unplayable. Terry Stotts apparently thought so, too, and the 22-minute per night Turner hit that mark twice in the postseason - both against the Golden State Warriors. He withered, and the fervor around the discussion of his staying in Rip City has been dialed up once again.

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/evan-turner-2019-playoffs-stats.344720/

Evan Turner 2019 Playoffs stats

120 Minutes played, 7 Points total... shooting .158/.000/.500

he cannot play significant minutes anymore, give them to Leonard and Layman.

Get this man off this team. His humor is cool and all but you can't tell me there isn't someone else in the world who could get scored on by Sap and offer less than Turner does offensively.
This guy was supposed to be a piece like Iggy is for gsw.
When really f[*******] ANYONE is better than this fool.
Meyers Leonard is 100 times better than Evan Turner
Shit and I'm prolly underselling that. It's prolly around 1000000000 times.

He's the "6th man" of the Nuggets, the invisible man who makes 17 mil, makes me sick

that he is even on this team is the problem

https://nba.nbcsports.com/athlete/evan-turner/

Turner was the guy Portland counted on as another shot creator, but he could not do that consistently or under pressure. He averaged 6.8 points per game last season, shot 21.2 percent from three, and is not a great defender. 

I don't see much of anyone among the fans or media thinking this hurts the team.  I think it is a clear upgrade for them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think they will miss Turner.  Baze isn't anything great but he makes them better.

I don't see much of anyone among the fans or media thinking this hurts the team.  I think it is a clear upgrade for them.

Hey, first of all, I see what you're doing.  Throwing a bunch of words at me hoping I tap out.  Didn't work this time, AH.  I just didn't read 'em.  Ha.  Take that!

I hear you though and I wasn't saying Turner was some great shakes.  I'm saying he served more of a purpose than Bazemore does.  Baze is insurance against Simons not helping them fast enough.  Their fans are all excited to lose Turner now but wait'll they see Baze getting minutes over the youngster.

Then Rip City.org'll be all, "Why's this clown getting minutes over Simons, blah, blah, blah ..." - PortBlaze01

I can't believe you've pulled me into the deep waters of touting Turner over Bazemore when both are pretty 'meh'.  You know I can't swim.  But perhaps that was your plan all along, AH.  Diabolical bastar*glub*glub*glub

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hey, first of all, I see what you're doing.  Throwing a bunch of words at me hoping I tap out.  Didn't work this time, AH.  I just didn't read 'em.  Ha.  Take that!

I hear you though and I wasn't saying Turner was some great shakes.  I'm saying he served more of a purpose than Bazemore does.  Baze is insurance against Simons not helping them fast enough.  Their fans are all excited to lose Turner now but wait'll they see Baze getting minutes over the youngster.

Then Rip City.org'll be all, "Why's this clown getting minutes over Simons, blah, blah, blah ..." - PortBlaze01

I can't believe you've pulled me into the deep waters of touting Turner over Bazemore when both are pretty 'meh'.  You know I can't swim.  But perhaps that was your plan all along, AH.  Diabolical bastar*glub*glub*glub

He did it to me as well. But I fell right in and turned in a 1000 word essay to AHF about why we don’t want to add a Durant type.. we guuud we guudd.. then I find out it’s Iggy... and I write more on that... meanwhile AHF ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1