• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game #5: Hawks at Bulls 10/17/19

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Again...This build appears to be haphazard.  Most winning teams build around a core rather than continuing to search for one.

Our core last year was Trae, Huerter and Collins.  It is now Trae, Huerter, Cam, Hunter and JC.  We'll be adding a big man to our core.

I am certain that TS didn't see any of the names you have listed as FA targets as being additions to our core.  The criticism of yours that I think is fair is that not having sufficient ancillary players around the core can retard their development.  So while these guys were not core players, they could give the team better balance to develop those players.  Not worth tying yourself to a bad long-term contract but seemed to me (like it did to you) that there were guys out there who could have filled this role and not burdened us long-term.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Again...This build appears to be haphazard.  Most winning teams build around a core rather than continuing to search for one.

I think they might be half-in half- out on this year, taking a wait and see approach. What we do at the trade deadline will probably tell us what they're thinking.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Again...This is one of the bad habits that I am referring too.  You play more hero ball around weaker players.  He developed that bad habit at Oklahoma.  It has continue here because of our personnel.

The additions of Hunter and Cam and continued development of Huerter are what will (hopefully) help channel that bad habit.  A Robin Lopez or Jaxson Hayes would do nothing to check that impulse.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Our core last year was Trae, Huerter and Collins.  It is now Trae, Huerter, Cam, Hunter and JC.  We'll be adding a big man to our core.

I am certain that TS didn't see any of the names you have listed as FA targets as being additions to our core.  The criticism of yours that I think is fair is that not having sufficient ancillary players around the core can retard their development.  So while these guys were not core players, they could give the team better balance to develop those players.  Not worth tying yourself to a bad long-term contract but seemed to me (like it did to you) that there were guys out there who could have filled this role and not burdened us long-term.

And it is entirely possible that those guys said "no thanks"

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

You keep referring to this core BS like everyone has to grow together to win a championship...Is D. Howard a core of the lakers?  What about Brook Lopez for the Buck or Marc Gasol for the Raptors.  You add piece to help your core succeed.  This azz backward thinking is frustrating me.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

The additions of Hunter and Cam and continued development of Huerter are what will (hopefully) help channel that bad habit.  A Robin Lopez or Jaxson Hayes would do nothing to check that impulse.

You act as those bad habit are easily changed...Tell that crap to Bembry.  You need competent players at every position to execute the right way.  If you don't, you'll develop Carmelo's,  Hardin and Westbrooks of the world etc

• Premium Member

Just rewatch that 1st quarter vs the Bulls where Trae was searching for some help in the form of somebody else make a damn play except the ball would end up back in his hands with 2 or more defenders surrounding him with a short clock.  He took that bad 3 because that very scenario presented itself over and over.

17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Wow.  I'm not understanding this.  We are still rebuilding.  This is year two.  Trae had a friggin historic rookie season and is already a top pg in this league.  He isn't some project.  If the shots we are worried about are the 30+ footers, he hit those at a higher percentage than anything else last year.   

Seems like there is panic and the season hasn't started.   

Agreed. Except this is year 3 of the “reset” 😉

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I don't count the demo.  The build starts when you get the coach.    But i get your point.

Honestly I didn't like TS at first but this is going well.   We have acquired a lot of potential talent but we don't know yet if Cam or Hunter are the real deal.   So the worst thing we can do now is to quit acquiring young talent.  We did that before and Chill turned out to be not an nba player, Smoove became a head case, and Marvin continued to be Marvin.  We had literally no talent in the pipeline once that core proved to be a failure. 

We already have enough future draft picks.. 2 1st rounders next year right? Why do you need more? Pierce admitted that the Hawks had to adjust their style of play this year because of the change in personnel this year.  If you have to do that year after year, you don't get good at any particular style and the Hawks were starting to click last year on offense after the ASB...Now the offense looks a mess again...Sorta like the Falcon changing offensive coordinators every other year.  The offense is still good because of the skilled players but it is never grea! except that 1 year.

Summa y’all forgetting the difference the spacing of Huerter’s and Crabbe’s shots will make for this offense. Them fools can SHOOT, and didn’t play a single preseason game. Might wanna pump the breaks with the sky falling panic when 2 of our best shooters haven’t even seen the floor yet. Dual snipers is a game changer. I’m not adjusting my wins prediction downward as an overreaction to a few meaningless shorthanded preseason scrimmages without our best 2 shooters playing a single minute. Especially when El-P is just trying to get 3 rookies’ legs underneath them, and running a G-League audition between about 4 players. PSHH...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ae034d133073103eaea

Edited by hazer
  • Like 4

I agree Heurter and Crabbbe might make a big difference, floor spacing and ballhandling. But we are still weak inside and we lack strength un general, yo have to play really well to overcome that. I still think we improve a little but not enough to make the playoffs. I am happy that Hunter seems a step in the right direction, eager to discover what we have in Reddish and really disapointed because I thought we had something in Bruno and now I think he is a bust.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Again...This is one of the bad habits that I am referring too.  You play more hero ball around weaker players.  He developed that bad habit at Oklahoma.  It has continue here because of our personnel.

Yeah, it’s not that I don’t think he can do well.

I understand that the team doesn’t have a lot if developed scorers at this point, but I’m saying that I think a 15-17/10 with higher efficiency is better than a 23/8 with low efficiency.

I realize that it’s not all Young... A more potent offensive cast will give him some easier opportunities. 

Him checking his ego and a more developed cast is what is needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hazer said:

Summa y’all forgetting the difference the spacing of Huerter’s and Crabbe’s shots will make for this offense. Them fools can SHOOT, and didn’t play a single preseason game. Might wanna pump the breaks with the sky falling panic when 2 of our best shooters haven’t even seen the floor yet. Dual snipers is a game changer. I’m not adjusting my wins prediction downward as an overreaction to a few meaningless shorthanded preseason scrimmages without our best 2 shooters playing a single minute. Especially when El-P is just trying to get 3 rookies’ legs underneath them, and running a G-League audition between about 4 players. PSHH...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ae034d133073103eaea

Yes I’m on record as Crabbe is a baller as I watched him at Cal. I brought it up and touched a nerve with our very own Supes so I dropped it. But he fits perfect with Trae and plays well off the ball and uses screens to his adv better than he gets credit for by the eggspurts.  

Thanks Haze..aka my burner 😆 or am I yours. Ah whatever we on the same page.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This is crazy talk. We are still rebuilding.

Trae/Huerter/Collins - established offensive core. (What if 1 or 2 of these don't take the next step snd are just OK players?)

Hunter/Cam/Reddish - they haven't played an NBA game that matters, so it's too soon to say 'now we have our established core'. They have to at least show they can contribute to helping us win games. Their talent has to shine through like Trae's did regardless of the rest of the middling pieces of the roster.

So it would be bad GMing for TS to determine we have our core and not keep looking to collect future assests either to use as draft picks for our team or trade for a star player to supplement the rebuild he has started.

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is crazy talk. We are still rebuilding.

Trae/Huerter/Collins - established offensive core. (What if 1 or 2 of these don't take the next step snd are just OK players?)

Hunter/Cam/Reddish - they haven't played an NBA game that matters, so it's too soon to say 'now we have our established core'. They have to at least show they can contribute to helping us win games. Their talent has to shine through like Trae's did regardless of the rest of the middling pieces of the roster.

So it would be bad GMing for TS to determine we have our core and not keep looking to collect future assests either to use as draft picks for our team or trade for a star player to supplement the rebuild he has started.

Bingoooo. And The Hunter and Code Reddish look to be the real deal. I’m with you, crazy talk. I mean FFS, Trae + Huerter + Cam + Hunter + Collins isn’t a good young core to build around? PSH Part 2 🙄

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a52d41d0ed7f29e0732

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

Bingoooo. And The Hunter and Code Reddish look to be the real deal. I’m with you, crazy talk. I mean FFS, Trae + Huerter + Cam + Hunter + Collins isn’t a good young core to build around? PSH Part 2 🙄

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a52d41d0ed7f29e0732

It's a good young core but do we have room for two more lottery picks next year? 

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's a good young core but do we have room for two more lottery picks next year? 

We have room for a Superstar acquired with those picks 😉

Embiid trade anyone?

• Like 1