Bazemore was ready to leave the Hawks

Blunt91

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

To Peoria's point though, even young players get tired of losing.  I don't think that's a scenario we have to worry about for a few years . . . but it WILL happen if the Hawks don't get a taste of the playoffs within these next 2 seasons.

We could easily end up with a Devin Booker situation on our hands, in which he's complaining about the organization's commitment to winning, and how he doesn't want to stay with the franchise if they didn't want to improve the team.  Of course, Devin took the money, which will quiet him for now.  But as he gets in his mid 20s, that itch to experience winning will override what he's making, and he'll try to force a trade before his contract is out.

Like I said, this is way too early to talk about scenarios like this concerning the Hawks.  My biggest fear is that we don't win, and we decide to hit the reset button in about 3 years.  And if we're not winning by then, the fans will turn on whomever is perceived to be the stars of the team, which are Trae and John.

My prediction is that we will be building towards winning after this season.  We might win enough to be in the mix anyway but I’m predicting we will be mid-lottery this season.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Paraphrase...y'all get so caught in minutia that you miss the point. I hope you get the point now.

You can exaggerated it to support your point which is why it is fair for people to associate your own viewpoint with it.  The actual quote wouldn’t have generated the same confusion. 

I do get your overall point though and have faith that we will look to win next season if our young players develop this year.

6 hours ago, High5 said:

The Suns are a dumpster fire and they play on the West. I very much doubt we have the same struggles. If we do then that probably means our young talent wasn’t as good as we believed anyway.

If this is what you believe, that's cool.  Keep in mind though that before this last stretch run of 10 straight playoff appearances, we missed the playoffs 7 years in a row.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If this is what you believe, that's cool.  Keep in mind though that before this last stretch run of 10 straight playoff appearances, we missed the playoffs 7 years in a row.

And there aren't a lot of similarities between then and now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Sure Baze, whatever you say. The funny thing is he was actually playing really well until he got hurt at the end of December. After he came back from his injury he was awful. It really just sounds like he’s spinning it in his favor. I’m sure during his rehab he was playing with Portland (after he traded himself to them) in NBA 2K to help make his fantasy a reality...

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 10/21/2019 at 6:42 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Why though? He's from a small town in NC, went to college in VA, early NBA years in GSW and LAL.

And don't begrudge him wantimg a winning situation vs a rebuilding effort where he is playing limited minutes going into the final year of his contract.

He plays well in Portland, he'll get a decent enough contract in offseason vs limited minutes on the Hawks.

Exactly this, the only time Baze was on a winning team was with the Hawks when Bud was coaching with the vets on short term deals and Horf playing out his contract to bail on us.

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That was a hell of drafting 6'9" players every year...to create some form of a team...there seemed no vision or intentionality in that window...Isaiah Rider, Antoine Walker, Rasheed Wallace and more. It was a carousel of chaos and frustration for all of us!!! It almost drove me to give up on the NBA! 

This window we are in seems much more intelligent, ordered, and positive. And my original preseason win guess of 35ish still seems fine with me!!! I'd love to make the playoffs, but in my mind this year is still strengthening our culture, core, and system. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Before that bad stretch we made the playoffs 18 out of 22 years.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bazemore's 1st game: 25 mins, 1-7(0-3 frm 3), for 4 points,  2 rebs. 0 assists, 5 steals

Our 2016-17 starting lineup:

Dennis: 3/6/4, 1-8 shooting

THJ: 4/1/1, 2-7 shooting

Baze: 4/2/0, 1-7 shooting

Sap: 11/5/2, 3-8 shooting

Dwight: 3/6/1, 1-3 shooting

:sick:

• Sad 3

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bazemore's 1st game: 25 mins, 1-7(0-3 frm 3), for 4 points,  2 rebs. 0 assists, 5 steals

Been stealing money from the Hawks for years.  Apparently gotten pretty good at it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/21/2019 at 12:58 PM, Peoriabird said:

I think John, Bembry and Parker are in their prime and Trae is entering his prime.  Len might be at his peak.

You do know "prime" years start around 26-28 right? You also do know that teams lose because of the players on the court ultimately. Running to another team just means you are not good enough to get it done or the team or organization as a whole doesn't fit you. Our organization as a whole is doing everything to accommodate for star players on our team. Now we just need them to fully grow into what they can become. Ultimately if we lose the players we have now know it's on them & their development.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's only one game, but what say you, did we win this trade :laugh1:

Turner: 4-4 (0-0 frm 3) for 9 points, 0 rebs, 4 assists, 1 steal.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's only one game, but what say you, did we win this trade :laugh1:

Turner: 4-4 (0-0 frm 3) for 9 points, 0 rebs, 4 assists, 1 steal.

this is what i didn't get about all the hate toward Turner.  Turner is solid.  Baze will be fine but it's not like Baze was ever consistent.   And it was a really bad fit for this team.  By all accounts Turner was a great teammate in Portland.   I wish Baze all the best because he was a great Hawk but he knew and we knew that he didn't fit on this team anymore.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

this is what i didn't get about all the hate toward Turner.  Turner is solid.  Baze will be fine but it's not like Baze was ever consistent.   And it was a really bad fit for this team.  By all accounts Turner was a great teammate in Portland.   I wish Baze all the best because he was a great Hawk but he knew and we knew that he didn't fit on this team anymore.  

100% FG% / 4:0 TO ratio Turner is super solid.  37% FG% / 2.5:1.5 ATO ratio Turner frequently hurts his team and becomes unplayable.  (Those are his career playoff averages).  I'm hoping we see a lot of repeats of Game 1 for Turner.