• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Players I like fit wise for us (Lottery)

NBASupes

On 11/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, bleachkit said:

I love the idea of two elite playmakers, but Trae adapting to that is no sure thing. 

It's a terrible idea considering both are just PG's but I understand if he thinks Ball is the 2nd best player in this class. 

@marco102

Would that still include if the player was a point guard? Because clearly Trae is the centerpiece for this team.

Yeah, you take the best player you can. There’s nothing wrong with taking two really good players at a position because they will have value.

All of the PG's are on the board at both picks now. This is a game changer. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My top 10 - December 24th

1. Obi Toppin - Floor: 8 Ceiling 9 - Perfect modern day PF. Can dribble, pass, shoot, screen, finish, score, efficient, high BBIQ, can switch well on defense. The most projectable player in this draft. 

2t. Anthony Edwards - Floor: 6.5 Ceiling: 9.5 - Talent wise, he is a bigger, stronger Donovan Mitchell out of Louisville. He is raw, still needs a lot of development. Not NBA ready yet. 

2t. LaMelo Ball - Floor: 6.5 Ceiling 9.5 - Best talent in this draft with Edwards. Can dribble, pass, rebound, block shots, create, in the mold of the highly valued big playmaking PGs. Shooting, polish, passion and defense is his question marks. 

4. Cole Anthony - Floor: 7.5 Ceiling: 8 - Best PG in the nation from a polish standpoint. Sadly, is playing with a terrible squad and having to do too much. Might not have the upper end ceiling has projected originally but he is the best PG right now in the draft and the most NBA ready one. 

5. Onyeka Okongwu - Floor: 7 Ceiling 8.5 - Bigger, smarter, more athletic, more skilled, more talented, and more NBA ready Bam Adebayo. One of the most polished centers to enter as a freshman. Still needs time to adjust the NBA and not ready immediately but has a very high ceiling with a very high floor for a center prospect. 

6. James Wiseman - Floor 6 Ceiling 9 - While I am not the highest on him after reviewing a lot of film, I will say his talent level is exceptional. Will he reach his potential is a different question and can he win you games is another. That said, he has a chance to be a max player in time. 

7. Jaden McDaniels - Floor 6 Ceiling 8.5 - Not saying he is Jon Issac, but damnit, he got a lot of Jon Issac in him. Maybe even better as a prospect at this stage. Easy top 10 pick. He is the prototype 4 defensively right now. 

8t. Theo Maledon - Floor 7 Ceiling 7.5 - While he might have a higher ceiling in time like the rest below, it's hard to say for a fact that he will be more than a lower end starting PG. So much for PG's is about where they land, who's the coach, how they develop, right system, etc. 

8t. Killian Hayes - Floor 7 Ceiling 7.5 - Talented PG, good pedigree and has a will to win. 

8t. Deni Avdija - Floor 6.5 Ceiling 8 - He will have to adjust the NBA size wise and positional but his talent is legit and he will be a top 10 pick because he can PDS and has a tremendous feel for the game. Guys like that don't bust and have a lot of value in the modern NBA. 

8t. Nico Mannion  - Floor 6.5 Ceiling 8 - Tremendous floor general. The player he will have to model himself after is DeVante Graham. Nico is not a slasher at all. 

8t. Tyrese Haliburton - Floor 6.5 Ceiling 8 - Will remind you of Lonzo Ball but can shoot. Not the defender Ball is nor close. 

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

1. Obi Toppin

This has is soft as charmin. We need big tough players. We have Collins who is skilled also but we need some muscle and some banging. 

I dunno I would trade the pick before using it on a rotational guy. He does have a lot of Kuzma...by the way, how’s Kuzma doing now? 😊 

I like the list though and the deets.

• Thanks 1

Toppin is going to be good, but you'll have a hard time pitching me on drafting him with the first pick unless you're going to trade Collins. You know, actually it'll greatly surprise me if he doesn't end up with Golden State no matter where they draft.

Do now understand that this is a mock, though. Yeah, I think I agree with NBA Draft Room. I'd have Toppin at #4 unless you have some of the perimeter players really shine down the road. (Wiseman, Edwards, and Lamelo Ball being 1/2/3 in some order, maybe regardless if deserved or not).

• 2 weeks later...

My top 10 is the draft is:

Draft grade/potential 

1. Obi Toppin- 8/8.5 

2. LaMelo Ball - 6.5/9.5

3. Anthony Edwards- 6.5/9.5

4. Onyeka Okongwu- 7/8.5

5. James Wiseman - 6.5/9

6. Cole Anthony- 7.5/8

7. Tyrese Haliburton - 7/8

8. Killian Hayes - 7/7.5

9. Tre Jones - 7/7.5

10. RJ Hampton - 7/7.5

Note: it's very early in the process. A lot of these guys will show more potential as the season goes along. 

On 12/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, Lurker said:

Toppin is going to be good, but you'll have a hard time pitching me on drafting him with the first pick unless you're going to trade Collins. You know, actually it'll greatly surprise me if he doesn't end up with Golden State no matter where they draft.

Do now understand that this is a mock, though. Yeah, I think I agree with NBA Draft Room. I'd have Toppin at #4 unless you have some of the perimeter players really shine down the road. (Wiseman, Edwards, and Lamelo Ball being 1/2/3 in some order, maybe regardless if deserved or not).

I don't know if it's wise for a team like Atlanta to take Toppin 1st. For a team like Atlanta, I would look at least four other players first: 

1. Edwards

2. Okongwu

3. Ball 

4. Cole Anthony

• Thanks 1

Player comparisons: 

Cole Anthony- DeVante' Graham, Jason Kidd, and Austin Rivers

Obi Toppin - Al Horford and Kenyon Martin

Anthony Edwards - John Wall, Donovan Mitchell, Cam Reddish, and James Harden

Onyeka Okongwu - Bam Adebayo, Emeka Okafor, and Derrick Favors

LaMelo Ball - Luka Doncic, Trae Young, Lonzo Ball, Michael Carter-Williams, Cam Reddish

Tyrese Haliburton - Ricky Rubio, Trey Burke, Kendall Marshall

James Wiseman - Hassan Whiteside, David Robinson, Boogie Cousins, Jaxson Hayes

Cole Anthony- DeVante' Graham - I really think he get it like Graham on offense. Elite shooting talent. High end variance. Excellent handles. I do think has more skill than Graham even right now. 

Kidd in how he attacks rebounds. He averaged over 10 assists in HS and I've seen him drop numerous dimes in the HS all star games. UNC is just garbage. 

Austin Rivers, similar athletically, great first step and lateral quickness. Both are former player sons. 

Obi Toppin - Al Horford, I honestly feel like his movement is like Horford. Moves mechanical but effective. He's really fast for his size. Explosive but not like John Collins and guys like that. He also has Al's slower release as well, lol! 

Kenyon Martin, He is most like Martin in how he plays the game but he's like Horford in the touch, skill, feel category. Defensively, he is a lot like Martin. 

Getting tired, last one: 

Anthony Edwards - John Wall, he doesn't play like Wall but just the fact that they have exceptional talent, tools, and potential but are scorers more than shooters, bothers me. Edwards like Wall should be able to score just due to his talent and tools but it won't win any games. 

Donovan Mitchell, his playing style is a lot like Mitchell. Just much better physically than Mitchell.

Cam Reddish, has all of the footwork on his shot, high end variance but is a scorer more than a shooter. Will need time to adjust the NBA shooting wise like Reddish.

James Harden, he uses his strength, has handles and his defense and length is very similar to Arizona State's James Harden. Not the shooter Harden was though as a prospect. Specs are similar. 

• Like 2

I haven’t gotten into looking at the draft prospects yet.  On the surface, I don’t see anyone that really jumps out at me as a guy who can help a team win as a rookie.  I’m not really convinced that there is a lot of upside with the top picks as well.  

IMO, Atlanta has enough youth.  Trade these picks and get some players that will help the team win in 2020-2021.  

• Like 1

Now.  Who do I think Travis Schlenk will take with the Hawks high lottery pick?  I called Trae Young in the 2018 draft and Cam Reddish in the 2019 draft because they both fit what I feel Travis’s vision for this team long term is.  I personally wasn’t that high on Cam Reddish, but it is obvious that Travis has been a fan of his overall skill level since he had seen the guy play in high school.  It was a pretty easy call to put Reddish with the Hawks in 2019.  Travis loves players who have the triple threat skill level of being able to handle the ball, pass the ball, and shoot the ball.

That skillful guy this year is going to be LaMelo Ball.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Now.  Who do I think Travis Schlenk will take with the Hawks high lottery pick?  I called Trae Young in the 2018 draft and Cam Reddish in the 2019 draft because they both fit what I feel Travis’s vision for this team long term is.  I personally wasn’t that high on Cam Reddish, but it is obvious that Travis has been a fan of his overall skill level since he had seen the guy play in high school.  It was a pretty easy call to put Reddish with the Hawks in 2019.  Travis loves players who have the triple threat skill level of being able to handle the ball, pass the ball, and shoot the ball.

That skillful guy this year is going to be LaMelo Ball.  

I think that guy this season is Anthony Edwards.  I had LaMelo ahead of him at the beginning of the year, but Anthony's athletiscm moves him ahead of LaMelo to me.  He can dribble, pass, and shoot.   

LaMelo's a better passer with better vision.  Everything else leans towards Edwards.  Edwards reportedly is no 6'5 or 6'6" with two way potential.  I think Travis will chose Edwards over LaMelo. 

Either one I'd be good with though.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I think that guy this season is Anthony Edwards.  I had LaMelo ahead of him at the beginning of the year, but Anthony's athletiscm moves him ahead of LaMelo to me.  He can dribble, pass, and shoot.   

LaMelo's a better passer with better vision.  Everything else leans towards Edwards.  Edwards reportedly is no 6'5 or 6'6" with two way potential.  I think Travis will chose Edwards over LaMelo. 

Either one I'd be good with though.

I’ll get to watch Edwards up close Saturday when he comes to Starkville.  I’m very interested in seeing if his skill level matches his athleticism.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I’ll get to watch Edwards up close Saturday when he comes to Starkville.  I’m very interested in seeing if his skill level matches his athleticism.  

To me, he's very raw, but you see the potential.  He shows flashes for halves at a time. I have yet to see him put a complete game together, if it he does, he'll probably drop 40+ point triple double with 5 steals and 5 blocks.  This sounds like a crazy stat line, but that's what his talent shows from what I've seen.  He's dropped 37 in a half and 20 points against Tennessee in the last game.  He gets plenty of blocks and steals and his rebounding is solid.  

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Edwards seems perfect for a team already full of high ceiling guys who are 2-3 years ahead of him.   We won't need him to become a star quickly.  Just a sniper off the bench.  when it's time to pay Heurter hopefully Edwards will have gotten good enough to give us some options. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Is it fair to say, this is an unappealing top 5. While the class itself is pretty solid, the top is weak compared to years past. 

That's what I'm reading from most 'experts' regarding the draft class.