• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I think it's pretty fair to say that Luka is better than Trae and likely will always be better than Trae

NBASupes

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm with you here. grumpy cat.

ETA: And furthermore, Collins better come back on a mission.  He better make folks think he's juicin' for real.

When Collins is back I am anticipating LP using a full court press with Collins at the 5, Hunter 4, Reddish 3, Bembry or Heurter at 2 and Trae...I think he discovered a weapon there that needs to break out whenever teams go on extended runs on the Hawks [ sorry to veer off topic of the thread 😞 ]

3 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I actually expected a record similar to what the team has now knowing how the early part of the schedule was even with the team fully healthy.   I expect a stronger run than even last year which starts earlier in December.  The role playing parts of the team are going to be stronger and battle tested when Kev and John are back.   With the defense less able to focus on Trae, he is going to go off and this hype on Luka will simmer down.

If Trae goes off and Luka remains doing what he's doing, it'll be just like last year.  "Oh but, look at the slow start Trae had. Luka did it from the beginning."

There's no stopping the Luka hype. I don't even know if it's hype at this point. Luka's playing so well, but the only way to stop it is for Luka's production to slow down.  That won't happen until Dallas starts playing better defensive teams.  We'll see if Kawahi guards Luka tomorrow and the results.  If the LAC clippers put Pat Bev on Luka, expect him to drop a 50 pt tripple double with ease.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

I'm glad people here have stopped acting like Luka is some media made creation.

That said, still appreciate that Trae is giving us an efficient 26 and 9 vs the toughest schedule in the NBA. While having 0 shooting around him and big men that can't catch or finish. 

We got a superstar even if he isn't the best siperstar.

• Like 4

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in the Hawks war room during that trade. I know it didn't end up mattering, but I still can't believe we conceded a top 5 protection on the trade. What if Mavs had got Zion. We would of been suicidal.

I was upset by the trade and the limited protection on the pick.  Felt we had them by the balls on that one and didn't get max value.  Like you say, it is academic now and I'm thrilled to get to watch Trae's career in Atlanta.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

so what if:

Had we have selected Trae what do you foresee us being like today?  

Do you mean Luka?  I think he would struggle here facing double teams and traps just like Trae is now. I see us as being the same, given the same scenario Heurter starting season injured getting injured again, Collins getting suspended, two rookies one relatively solid the other raw, very little shooting around him with shooters from last year slumping from 3 point range (lookin at you Len).

• Like 3

We must remember, assuming we stayed and drafted Luka. 

We would be

Hureter 

Prince 

Luka

Collins

Dedmon  

Chances are, with Luka we likely make the playoffs in year 1 and probably used our cap space on a real center like Vecevic. 

We would likely be

Huerter 

Prince

Luka

Collins

Vucevic 

We would be right at the top of the eastern conference more likely barring injuries. That's not to say we can't do better with Trae. We just need to develop more is all

Edited by NBASupes

I can't say that we would've shifted gears with Luka on the team last year. Trae played at a great level post ASB and Schlenk did not make moves at all.

Luka is better at passing out of double teams due to his size. We'd be better defensively.

But still if Luka was dealt the cards that Trae has been dealt so far this year, we would be maybe an 8 seed in the East right now.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It's early but Mavs are overachieving and we are underachieving. 

We aren't underachieving based on our schedule, rookies in starting lineup and all the missing parts trying to plug n play guys (vets) as they return from injury.

• Like 3

• Admin

I was probably one of the most vocal haters of the Luka trade.

That being said ... it is done and we have what we have.  Luka is the better player but Trae has really exceeded my expectations and is looking like an impact player as well.  He is beyond terrible on D but that was known too.

Cam has a long long way to go but could be a good player with time and experience.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We aren't underachieving based on our schedule, rookies in starting lineup and all the missing parts trying to plug n play guys (vets) as they return from injury.

If Len and others get that 3 point stroke back we could be pretty deadly by the end of the year. Noone want to play us. With Collins and Heurter back the spacing will be MUCH better anyway for everybody else to get better looks.

• Like 1