• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So what Coach then ?

EazyRoc

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I saw age 20 and jumped to conclusions. 

There are  a number of metrics that value Hunter offensively over Kevin. 

The RAPTOR for example: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/

I always rather NBA.com. it's based on lineup utilization while bref is based on per100 possessions. 

Trae Young value is more than his OffRtg in my eyes. NBA has a thing called PIE and Trae is significantly our best offensive player. Trae also has the most time with all types of units, he benefits positively and negatively due to this. For us, more negatively 

Huerter 9.3 PIE

Hunter 5.6 PIE

Also, how do you get RAPTOR valuing Hunter over Huerter?  Hunter has a negative RAPTOR rating.  Huerter doesn't have enough minutes to be rated by RAPTOR.

Huerter also showed he was getting much more effective as he got healthier.  Hunter hasn't had a health issue until now but still has worse numbers.  (And is older).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Huerter 9.3 PIE

Hunter 5.6 PIE

Huerter also showed he was getting much more effective as he got healthier.  Hunter hasn't had a health issue until now but still has worse numbers.  (And is older).

So the question remains, do you think Kevin is a better PLAYER than Hunter. I think Hunter is better and by a margin. I personally think Huerter is just a margin better than Parker at this time.

• Premium Member

Here's my take on coach LP.  He should have never been hired as a rookie head coach coaching a bunch of rookies, makes absolutely no sense.   We are the worst defensive team in the NBA, Coach LP is supposed to be a defensive expert, what gives?  Don't give me the garbage that its all the rookies, he is supposed to be the coach.  The GM hired him because he is cheap and a stop gap to get through all of the changes made to the roster during a rebuild, no current level successful head coach would accept that.  Hey he is a nice guy, out of his league, like putting a teller in charge of a bank.   At this point in the season there is nothing you can do as far as a coach change.   LP will not be here imo when/if the Hawks start winning.   It will be interesting when Schlenk has to actually start signing a star free agent and making trades to get vets instead of gutting a team.  

34 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Here's my take on coach LP.  He should have never been hired as a rookie head coach coaching a bunch of rookies, makes absolutely no sense.   We are the worst defensive team in the NBA, Coach LP is supposed to be a defensive expert, what gives?  Don't give me the garbage that its all the rookies, he is supposed to be the coach.  The GM hired him because he is cheap and a stop gap to get through all of the changes made to the roster during a rebuild, no current level successful head coach would accept that.  Hey he is a nice guy, out of his league, like putting a teller in charge of a bank.   At this point in the season there is nothing you can do as far as a coach change.   LP will not be here imo when/if the Hawks start winning.   It will be interesting when Schlenk has to actually start signing a star free agent and making trades to get vets instead of gutting a team.  

Most of the players we have literally don’t know how to play pro ball.

Outside of maybe 2 or 3 players, our entire roster is filled with negative impact type defenders.

I felt we exceeded expectations both from a W/L standpoint and a development standpoint last year.

We literally have a roster filled with G league caliber players. I just can’t see how you could point the finger at the coach. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Huerter is much better on offense.

Hunter is much better on defense.

I’d take a healthy Huerter today but I’m a big enough believer in Hunter that I think it might flip before the season is over.

I agree with this and I'd go a step further and say that Huerter is the better player now unless you just want to equally weight all aspects of the game.   There's a reason Jamal Crawford got paid $50 million more in his career than Tony Allen did.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

One of LP's biggest issues is playing these small ball lineups.  His offense is set up for Trae to flourish in the pick and roll, and for him to find shooters that can knock shots down.  So with Collins out, he'd rather play small, than to play traditional sized lineups.  And it's absolutely killed this team because those guys just cannot shoot.  Cam and Hunter can at least say that they have on court value with their defense, even if their offense is garbage

He's dabbled with playing Bruno at the 4 ( a spot that he can play ), but doesn't do it nearly enough.   Playing Bruno at the 4 would mean that he'd have to do a little more ball handling, playmaking, and shooting ( which he can do ), but LP doesn't trust him to do it.  If Bruno makes 1 mistake, he's back on the bench. He trusts Vince more at the 4, than Bruno, which is absolutely insane.

If you want to improve your defense and rebounding, you play guys who can actually rebound and defend.  We have all of these brick shooting wings that aren't good at creating their own shot.   Most of them are also below average rebounders for their position. 

I don't think LP has the guts to hurt some people's feelings.   He finally cut back some of Cam's minutes, which had to happen.  He needs to do the same with a few other players, until they prove that they can make shots.  Finally, he has to start putting bigger lineups out on the floor and see if one or two of those guys can actually battle for a few more offensive rebounds.  It's too many bricks being shot for us to not get more 2nd chance points.

You know..the reason why VC probably gets so much playing time is because we probably promised him just to get him to come back. Vince has been adamant about wanting to actually play and not ride the bench.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

It's pretty telling that they only show up DURING GAMES to scream FIRE LP. 

Hi, I'm here and NOT during the game. Thanks.

The problems with LP are pretty glaring if you have a decent basketball mind and actually watch Hawks games.

LP's lineups are TERRIBLE and expose our players to their weaknesses, instead of their strengths. For instance, starting Djones (weak defender and weak rebounder) along with Jabari (weak defender and weak rebounder) makes things VERY DIFFICULT and futile for Trae in the first 8 minutes of the game. If you've done any research you'll see that our lineup in the 1st qtr and 3rd qtr (when this lineup is employed) is HORRID. LP peanut brain doesn't realize that, and apparently neither do some of you. Sad! 

Is our roster trash? Yes. I don't care about that though. Even with a trash roster you can still employ lineups and GAMEPLANS that play to your strengths. LP hasn't REMOTELY done that. For instance, our trapping strategy should be employed for about 5 minutes straight each half. Specifically when we got Bembry and Reddish in the lineup. Catch them off guard like they catch Trae offguard when they trap him. Speaking of trapping, LP STILL doesn't have a gameplan for when teams trap Trae. Pretty disgusting, pathetic and incompetent on LP's part. Its not like this is some new strategy that LP has JUST encountered. Trae has been getting trapped since game 3 of the season. LP has made ZERO adjustments or even gameplanned. It's obvious. IF you can't tell, then ur just a casual fan with a weak BBIQ. (Maybe you should be coach, apparently you are qualified if your BBIQ is low)

LP's strategy is bad and/or nonexistent. When the Hawks are in the playoffs next season we are going to get exposed. The fact is you need good coaching. Part of that nowadays is an analytics team. 

It's OBVIOUS LP doesn't look at analytics. He is either incompetent or is playing politics. For instance, VC should NEVER, EVER EVER be played at the 4. He should be a third option at the 3 or the 2. NOT AT THE 4. If you watch any games it should be quite obvious....for anyone but peanut head LP. 

That's just ONE of many examples. Would a new coach transform the team? No

Do I advocate firing LP right now? No. It wouldn't do much this season. But LP has shown has can't gameplan or put his players in a position to succeed. Period.

Hope that puts some things in prospective. The fact of the matter is most you kids work at mcdonalds as the fry guy.

Let the lawyers and the MBA that are basketball fans opine about LP's shortcomings. The stats don't lie. LP doesn't bother looking at the stats. Is he a cool guy? Yes. Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he a good coach? No. 

• Moderators

With Jones, bear in mind that LP came into the season planning to start Len and only made a move after Alex absolutely bombed in that starter role.  Len's play (particularly on offense) has been dramatically better coming off the bench.  So that leaves LP with the choice of starting the rookie he only wants to play 12 mpg or going with Jones.  

Personally, I'd like to see Bruno get more run but if you assume that LP doesn't think Bruno is ready to start then I think there is a rationale story for why you would start Jones over Len.

On the analytics, a lot of them say that Jones has been the best of our 3 centers year to date.  (Best PER, WS/48, BPM, VORP, etc.) 

I still would prefer to see Bruno given more of a chance to sink or swim but don't think LP is quite as crazy for starting Jones as you make him out to be.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LK6969 said:

The problems with LP are pretty glaring if you have a decent basketball mind and actually watch Hawks games.

LP's lineups are TERRIBLE and expose our players to their weaknesses, instead of their strengths. For instance, starting Djones (weak defender and weak rebounder) along with Jabari (weak defender and weak rebounder) makes things VERY DIFFICULT and futile for Trae in the first 8 minutes of the game. If you've done any research you'll see that our lineup in the 1st qtr and 3rd qtr (when this lineup is employed) is HORRID. LP peanut brain doesn't realize that, and apparently neither do some of you. Sad! 

Is our roster trash? Yes. I don't care about that though. Even with a trash roster you can still employ lineups and GAMEPLANS that play to your strengths. LP hasn't REMOTELY done that. For instance, our trapping strategy should be employed for about 5 minutes straight each half. Specifically when we got Bembry and Reddish in the lineup. Catch them off guard like they catch Trae offguard when they trap him. Speaking of trapping, LP STILL doesn't have a gameplan for when teams trap Trae. Pretty disgusting, pathetic and incompetent on LP's part. Its not like this is some new strategy that LP has JUST encountered. Trae has been getting trapped since game 3 of the season. LP has made ZERO adjustments or even gameplanned. It's obvious. IF you can't tell, then ur just a casual fan with a weak BBIQ. (Maybe you should be coach, apparently you are qualified if your BBIQ is low)

LP's strategy is bad and/or nonexistent. When the Hawks are in the playoffs next season we are going to get exposed. The fact is you need good coaching. Part of that nowadays is an analytics team. 

It's OBVIOUS LP doesn't look at analytics. He is either incompetent or is playing politics. For instance, VC should NEVER, EVER EVER be played at the 4. He should be a third option at the 3 or the 2. NOT AT THE 4. If you watch any games it should be quite obvious....for anyone but peanut head LP. 

Do I advocate firing LP right now? No. It wouldn't do much this season. But LP has shown has can't gameplan or put his players in a position to succeed. Period.

Hope that puts some things in prospective. The fact of the matter is most you kids work at mcdonalds as the fry guy.

Let the lawyers and the MBA that are basketball fans opine about LP's shortcomings. The stats don't lie. LP doesn't bother looking at the stats. Is he a cool guy? Yes. Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he a good coach? No. 

Yeah, we should've hired Pop when we had the chance.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

With Jones, bear in mind that LP came into the season planning to start Len and only made a move after Alex absolutely bombed in that starter role.  Len's play (particularly on offense) has been dramatically better coming off the bench.  So that leaves LP with the choice of starting the rookie he only wants to play 12 mpg or going with Jones.  

Personally, I'd like to see Bruno get more run but if you assume that LP doesn't think Bruno is ready to start then I think there is a rationale story for why you would start Jones over Len.

On the analytics, a lot of them say that Jones has been the best of our 3 centers year to date.  (Best PER, WS/48, BPM, VORP, etc.) 

I still would prefer to see Bruno given more of a chance to sink or swim but don't think LP is quite as crazy for starting Jones as you make him out to be.

In fairness though, you don't have a 'decent basketball mind' so who cares what you think.

😐

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, LK6969 said:

Your rants during games are reason enough not to pay any attention to you.

I'll just say this...there's a plethora of reasons the Hawks are sitting at 5-16 right now and LP isnt in the top 10. Reasonable people certainly understand this. So you can continue to rant til your little heart is content. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LK6969 said:

If you were the coach, what would you do that LP isn’t ?