• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I read that story too and it's indeed scary but at the same time they don't really know anything other than anitbodies decline which doesn't mean that immune response necessarily vanishes (from my understanding).   

There have been cases of people getting covid a second time but those have been pretty rare.   You would think now that we're closing in on a year in we'd have more hard numbers on how many people have gotten infected twice.  Even if it included false positives or people who didn't actually recover it seems like that number is still very low.   That's my optimistic view anyway.

I agree with this.  Even if antibody numbers drop it does not necessarily mean increased risk of reinfection as memory T cells help with response.

• Moderators

More potentially encouraging news, re: myocarditis and other cardiac ailments, for those athletes who unfortunately catch Da Rona and get no more than mild symptoms:

A fuller study with more complete data is hoped to be ready for publication in JAMA later this fall, according to Sports Illustrated.

https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/cs_srgb/MTc2NDI1MTI4ODc0MjIyNzY1/hsc200003_annotatedproof.pdf

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

More potentially encouraging news, re: myocarditis and other cardiac ailments, for those athletes who unfortunately catch Da Rona and get no more than mild symptoms:

A fuller study with more complete data is hoped to be ready for publication in JAMA later this fall, according to Sports Illustrated.

https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/cs_srgb/MTc2NDI1MTI4ODc0MjIyNzY1/hsc200003_annotatedproof.pdf

~lw3

I'm glad credible medical journals are finally repudiating some of the lies and misinformation of Covid alarmists. Some of the wild claims made about the virus turned out to be mostly or wholly false.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

(CNN)Drugmaker Pfizer said Monday an early look at data from its coronavirus vaccine shows it is more than 90% effective -- a much better than expected efficacy if the trend continues.

The so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among the more than 43,000 volunteers who got either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. It found that fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/health/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-effective/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

i think there are plans in place for that.  And you don't need that many yet since tons of people will refuse to take it anyway.  

One of the first and most important things that needs to be done is basic education on the science.  Hopefully, people can get on board leaving only the fringe anti-vaccination people for policy making decisions.  Maybe I'm being naive but I hope we can get materially more participation in mask wearing and other preventative measures.  I'd love to see the next pressers going to a mix of the scientists and people who have lost their family members to impress on our nation why it is the patriotic thing to do to look out for your fellow Americans.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

One of the first and most important things that needs to be done is basic education on the science.  Hopefully, people can get on board leaving only the fringe anti-vaccination people for policy making decisions.  Maybe I'm being naive but I hope we can get materially more participation in mask wearing and other preventative measures.  I'd love to see the next pressers going to a mix of the scientists and people who have lost their family members to impress on our nation why it is the patriotic thing to do to look out for your fellow Americans.  

I think mask wearing is good as there is not much harm in it, but I hope people aren't under the impression that regular cloth masks some kind of panacea. There is a big difference between medical grade N95 masks and the cloth ones people wear on the street. 

Let's keep in mind with the vaccine, safety first, safety second, safety third. Let's say a major adverse effect occurs in use that hasnt been seen in rushed clinical trials. Let's says that life altering adverse side effect only effects 1% of those receiving the vaccine. If you're giving out a billion doses, 1% is 10,000,000 people. 10,000,000 is 10x the number of people who have even died of covid. So they really, really have to be careful.

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I think mask wearing is good as there is not much harm in it, but I hope people aren't under the impression that regular cloth masks some kind of panacea. There is a big difference between medical grade N95 masks and the cloth ones people wear on the street. 

Not as big as the difference between no mask and cloth ones.  Going from 50-60% effectiveness to 95% effectiveness is clearly a big boost but 0% to 50-60% is still a big improvement.

I'm still seeing morons with no mask or "wearing" the mask in a way that makes it a useless gesture (like not covering your mouth or nose and just dangling from your ears on your chin or forehead).  

Nothing we can do will be as effective as getting people to social distance, wear a mask when they can't and wash their hands.  None of that is harmful and all of it can significantly reduce transmission.  Just need to get people to think about others even a little bit.  In a country that supposedly has as many religious people as the US (talking religions where looking out for others is a central tenet of that faith), it shouldn't be that hard to get people to think of their fellow man.

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Let's keep in mind with the vaccine, safety first, safety second, safety third. Let's say a major adverse effect occurs in use that hasnt been seen in rushed clinical trials. Let's says that life altering adverse side effect only effects 1% of those receiving the vaccine. If you're giving out a billion doses, 1% is 10,000,000 people. 10,000,000 is 10x the number of people who have even died of covid. So they really, really have to be careful.

Totally agree.  Can't rush the vetting on that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

We need to stop acting like this is just going to disappear or that our exhaustion means jack **** as far as how we should make policy.  Need to keep vigilant.  I'm sure people in London in WW2 got sick of spending time sheltering but that doesn't mean you just shrug and give up.  Especially when people adopting that attitude put others at risk.

Our population density is not more concentrated than Europe.  We need to be at least on par with them.  You are going to have areas that go hot until an effective vaccine is distributed but you clamp it down.  We'll start next week over 250,000 deaths which just is too many lives ruined.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, AHF said:

We need to stop acting like this is just going to disappear or that our exhaustion means jack **** as far as how we should make policy.  Need to keep vigilant.  I'm sure people in London in WW2 got sick of spending time sheltering but that doesn't mean you just shrug and give up.  Especially when people adopting that attitude put others at risk.

Our population density is not more concentrated than Europe.  We need to be at least on par with them.  You are going to have areas that go hot until an effective vaccine is distributed but you clamp it down.  We'll start next week over 250,000 deaths which just is too many lives ruined.

Keep calm and carry on, as they said.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Haven’t fact checked this stat for deaths on American soil and think it omits a couple events/days but the underlying message is well founded:

image.jpeg

One of the people referenced on here is the sibling of a coworker.  Another coworker is living out of a hotel because a family member infected everyone at Thanksgiving and his father is in the hospital.  

Stay safe Squawkers and protect the ones you love so you can be with them for years to come.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Haven’t fact checked this stat for deaths on American soil and think it omits a couple events/days but the underlying message is well founded:

image.jpeg

One of the people referenced on here is the sibling of a coworker.  Another coworker is living out of a hotel because a family member infected everyone at Thanksgiving and his father is in the hospital.  

Stay safe Squawkers and protect the ones you love so you can be with them for years to come.

Move Pearl Harbor off that list

2,913 today.

1) California - 212 deaths

2) Michigan - 203 

3) Texas - 199

4) Iowa - 196 . . . . which is crazy for their population size

5) Pennsylvania - 174

6) Illinois - 168

7) Missouri - 132

8 ) Indiana - 126

9) Florida - 120

10) Tennessee - 100 . . . first day for us hitting the 100 mark . . smh