• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

• Moderators

He's the perfect fit.   We've got our core 5.  We need solid vets and we need a sniper off the bench.  That could be Edwards and it could happen quicker than folks think.   He may not have the handles of Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams but he has strength and a lot of offensive tools.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Yes Zir! 😃 💗 it! Bring 🏀 Vick home 🏠 Oh, keep him here. Dude stayed in Georgia during college. Sounds like a Nique situation. 😊 

Ya I remember Vick was electric. I rooted for him to always rip up the Niners for sure. 😂 Bad boy. 🐜 got that alpha.

All Ga offseason..

Draft

Edwards

FA

KCP/Crowder/Aminu

lol........

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Ant 🐜 isn’t that raw. Jermaine could have gone to med school 🏫 during the time he spent with Portland up in the great northwest. 🐜 is 1-1.5 years from crazy type impact.

I did say:

he is closer than Jermaine was

My basic idea is that I'd be drafting him with the idea that he has high upside but needs some time to marinate before you should expect to see him starting or anything.  Compare his upside trajectory (kg - I'm saying his upside here and I'm not directly comparing him to these players) to a scenario like O'Neal, Nash, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, etc. where they are little to no impact initially and grow to have a big impact over time.

If I was drafting him, I would do so assuming he was two years from a significant impact.  Next year I'd expect something more like the rookie seasons our recent wings have had except with better people ahead of him (so fewer minutes but similar struggles).  Year two should be a valuable role off the bench.  Year 3 is when he could break out.

He might well do it all much faster or much slower but that would be my baseline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Ah, the age old "I woulda played defense but .... you know."   That ol' Jabari Parker-ism.

I've never seen a player go from the level of complete disinterest (which is what Edwards was at UGA) to a plus defender.  Yet people think Edwards will do just that.  I'm dubious on that one.  If you tell me he can become passable, I guess I could buy that.

Oh Noo....you made a Jabari Parker defense reference :laugh:.

i disagree, Even as a pro Parker has no interest in defense.  Edwards at least understands it's important for him to tighten up his defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

After all this...we better get the #1 pick.

We were close last year. lol...1, 10, and 17 wouldve been nice...I liked our draft though..

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I know why marco and spud want Ant. He is a generational talent with generational tool abit doesn't use them as much as he should. But he's so far away man, he got a lot of working areas but he can score in the NBA right now.

I can agree and be truthful to that point. Edwards has a lot to work no doubt about it! But the guy is so talented ...I don’t know about generational talent but this guy can and will be able to drop big time buckets ...The only good thing I will say is very likely all star talent in 3-4 years from now...it’s very hard to pass on a talent like his if the opportunity is right there.

im nervous for Schlenk because I think we are going to get the opportunity to bring him home however with all the possible trade talk if we land the first pick gives me chills! I understand the trade reasoning I just sure do hope Schlenk makes the best decision if we are able to get the first pick.

literally it gives me chills...I don’t want the hawks to f*** this up ! I won’t be able to get over it !

again I understand why they’d do a trade if they got the number 1 pick but shit if I were gm I’d probably play it safe and just draft Edwards and don’t overthink it . 

supes I thought your comparison was crazy on point with how okc drafted harden when they already had Westbrook and Durant of course but the fit wasn’t perfect. This situation is like sooo much similar it’s insane if we land that number 1 pick ...I agree that this fit wouldn’t be perfect by the way but shit man you get talents like this that fall in your lap you just go with it and figure shit out later.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JTB said:

im nervous for Schlenk because I think we are going to get the opportunity to bring him home however with all the possible trade talk if we land the first pick gives me chills! I understand the trade reasoning I just sure do hope Schlenk makes the best decision if we are able to get the first pick.

literally it gives me chills...I don’t want the hawks to f*** this up ! I won’t be able to get over it !

I see this scenario kind of as well. But we’ve seen this before with passing on Cp3 in 2005 but this time Schlenk has put us in a position that we will be really good without 🐜 and going a different route as well, some might suggest better.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Seems like the warriors are the only real woke team all in on Anthony Edwards...would’ve thought by now others would embrace their opinion more. If the spurs were said to be all in on Edwards , it wouldn’t even be a question on who all the lottery teams would take number 1 .

• Premium Member
On 8/17/2020 at 8:07 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Watching the Playoffs....we need one of our wings Huerter, Cam or Hunter to be THAT Guy!!! We need a guy from that position that is a self creater and bucket getter. Who will it be? Or who is that guy in this draft?

Yup.  As soon as Trae broke out, our future just kind of wrote itself in my mind.  He needs a legit scoring compliment and that player needs to be a 2/3.

That being said, Edwards fits the description almost perfectly.  I've pondered how Melo and Trae could play off of each other, and it's interesting...but there's no way we can pass on AntMan if we get the top pick.  IMO, there's a FEW options down to the #4 throwing in  Deni and Wiseman, but outside of those guys, I think STRONG consideration is being made for a trade.  Honestly, I think it's inevitable and the talk is probably happening regardless. 

We're in a different mode now...or at least we should be.  Rebuilding is about finding a star and obtaining young talent/assets.  We did it.  We literally have a superstar, we are OVERFLOWING with young talent, and we're about to pick up another high quality asset.  We don't need young players to develop right now.  We need results.  We can't just NOT make the playoffs next season.  It would be a disaster.  So I think this pick (especially if we don't land immediate help) is on the block - along with some of our prime stock. 

Otherwise, if Schlenk believes we'll come out strong, I can see us taking and keeping a high-upside guy from this draft while rebuffing ransom demands for established talent.  That'll last up until around the All Star break.  At which time, if we're not closing in or locking up a playoff seed, change is a comin'!

So there's my "jump in and jump out" thoughts on our draft pick.  I don't think we want it... Unless it's a specific guy, like literally Ant Man...we're gonna trade it.

😬

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Yup.  As soon as Trae broke out, our future just kind of wrote itself in my mind.  He needs a legit scoring compliment and that player needs to be a 2/3.

That being said, Edwards fits the description almost perfectly.  I've pondered how Melo and Trae could play off of each other, and it's interesting...but there's no way we can pass on AntMan if we get the top pick.  IMO, there's a FEW options down to the #4 throwing in  Deni and Wiseman, but outside of those guys, I think STRONG consideration is being made for a trade.  Honestly, I think it's inevitable and the talk is probably happening regardless. 

We're in a different mode now...or at least we should be.  Rebuilding is about finding a star and obtaining young talent/assets.  We did it.  We literally have a superstar, we are OVERFLOWING with young talent, and we're about to pick up another high quality asset.  We don't need young players to develop right now.  We need results.  We can't just NOT make the playoffs next season.  It would be a disaster.  So I think this pick (especially if we don't land immediate help) is on the block - along with some of our prime stock. 

Otherwise, if Schlenk believes we'll come out strong, I can see us taking and keeping a high-upside guy from this draft while rebuffing ransom demands for established talent.  That'll last up until around the All Star break.  At which time, if we're not closing in or locking up a playoff seed, change is a comin'!

So there's my "jump in and jump out" thoughts on our draft pick.  I don't think we want it... Unless it's a specific guy, like literally Ant Man...we're gonna trade it.

😬

We may trade down, but I don't think we'll trade out of the draft entirely.

• Like 1

I’ve seen way too much talk about Anthony Edward’s fit and that we already have guys there. Y’all are crazy. Huerter is absolutely not the answer at the 2, and Hunter was bad bad bad as a rookie. The hawks weren’t bad as an accident. Trae, Cam, and John should be the only 3 players taken into account at all when making roster decisions. And really when it comes down to it Trae is the only guy that’s untouchable. Period.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We may trade down, but I don't think we'll trade out of the draft entirely.

Ehhhh...  Hadn't thought about trading down honestly until now.  If we got some solid vet help and had an eye on a mid-late lottery gem I could see it.  I'd still sooner package an undesirable pick with some of our assets in a blockbuster.  I'm just really not interested in grooming another rookie...and certainly not seeing anything worth trading down for.

I really think a deal is coming centered on this pick in a package...IF we're not keyed on the higher upside prospects at the very top of the draft.  I also think regardless, a disappointing start is going to force Schlenk's hand.

Edited by Wretch

11 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Ehhhh...  Hadn't thought about trading down honestly until now.  If we got some solid vet help and had an eye on a mid-late lottery gem I could see it.  I'd still sooner package an undesirable pick with some of our assets in a blockbuster.  I'm just really not interested in grooming another rookie...and certainly not seeing anything worth trading down for.

I really think a deal is coming centered on this pick in a package...IF we're not keyed on the higher upside prospects at the very top of the draft.  I also think regardless, a disappointing start is going to force Schlenk's hand.

Send some good vibes wretch. 😃 We need everyone on board. 🙏🏽 

19 minutes ago, NBAchamps2016 said:

I’ve seen way too much talk about Anthony Edward’s fit and that we already have guys there. Y’all are crazy. Huerter is absolutely not the answer at the 2, and Hunter was bad bad bad as a rookie. The hawks weren’t bad as an accident. Trae, Cam, and John should be the only 3 players taken into account at all when making roster decisions. And really when it comes down to it Trae is the only guy that’s untouchable. Period.

Are you a Warriors fan?

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Send some good vibes wretch. 😃 We need everyone on board. 🙏🏽 

Are you a Warriors fan?

Of course not. But Hunter doesn’t really have much of an offensive or defensive game rn. I think he can get there on defense but he hasn’t shown he can do anything besides take open shots. I know he didn’t get to put the ball on the court much in college but he said he was excited to get the opportunity in the NBA, but all he does effectively is shoot open jumpers. 

Kevin Huerter is a bad defender, an okay enough secondary ball handler, and a pretty decent shooter. He isn’t elite like people act. He was 61st in the league in 3 point percentage. I think a lot of that is he’s timid as hell. But as of now he hasn’t shown me enough to think he’s part of the future other than a trade piece